1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress rogbox 1.0 - Updated 13/12/12, most components done.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tynecider, 12 Dec 2012.

1. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

[​IMG]

Right, this is almost done so I figured I would get some data on here. Yet another R.O.G mod, sorry. :D
    I started this many moons ago, Originally a ROG MATX build in the Fractal Arc Mini (now shelved), I changed my mind on the board/case after needing more slots and space.

This is a 'funds permitting' build using some older tech, refurbed and pimped up a bit.
    Hopefully I can build up some experience for the day when I can buy all new shiny parts and mod from the start and hopefully not make a bollocks of it. Upgrading the core of this system is always an easy alternative.

You are going to have to excuse the lack of detailed photos after a certain point, I just kept forgetting to snap away while trying to crack on and get the damn thing finished in the limited time I have each week to do this.
    It's also bloody hard and a right pain in the arrse to take a picture of yourself cutting with a dremel...lol.
    I will narrate what I have done to each component when need be.

Before we move on, I would like to thank the following Bit-Tech readers for some good deals on components which have permitted me to get this far:
    I would also like to thank the many forum member's who's brains I have picked over the last while, many thanks to all. :thumb:

The build consists of the following (so far):
    Hardware:
    Antce 1200 case
    Intel Core i7 860
    Asus Maximus III Formula
    8GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz C9
    2x GeForce GTX 470 SLi
    Creative Titanium HD
    2x Corsair Force GT 60GB RAID0
    Pioneer 16x SATA DVD-RW
    Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 800w Gold​
    Cooling:
    Swiftech Apogee GT
    2x EK FC-470 GTX w/Backplates
    Laing DDC1+T 18w w/EK X-TOP V2 w/Pulse 120mm Mount
    Corsair Dominator Airflow RAM
    120mm Black Ice Xtreme
    240mm Black Ice Xtreme
    PrimoChill Myriad Reservior
    1/2" ID 3/4" OD compression fittings
    45 and 90 degree rotary fittings
    ClearFlex60 1/2" ID 3/4" Hose
    Antec Fans
    Yet to buy:
    2nd 120mm Black Ice Xtreme
    3rd 1x Corsair Force GT 60GB
    1x Corsair Force GT 180GB (3x60GB + 180GB RAID10)
    2nd 8GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz C9
    5.25" Blu-Ray ROM
    G1/4 Thermal sensor Male
    Bitfenix 230mm and 4x 120mm PWM (maybe white)
    Mayhem's Aurora Coolant (red, silver or white?)
    Other odds and ends​

So here we go.......

Build Log

The Tools:

Here is what I have been using, standard stuff except for maybe the Micro-Mesh.

Airbrush kit.....It was going to be used in a big way until I got carried away with the carbon fibre effect decals....:wallbash:
    [​IMG]

Soldering kit.......
    [​IMG]

Toolbox and the trusty old GRRRRRR-emel......
    [​IMG]

Sanding, painting & finishing....there was a lot more paint
    [​IMG]

Sleeving kit...
    [​IMG]

The PSU:

This has been stripped down for painting the chassis, Monitor and fan, Cables have been individually braided (although I'm not very happy with my result, maybe redux later on) and some decals applied
    Keyed with red pads, white primer and a quick 800grit sand, then 3 coats of gloss white with 800grit in between over 10 days. Finally after a week I gave them a clear coat and finished with a session of Micro-Mesh cloths and T-Cut. Cut up an old R.O.G sticker to finish it off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPDATE 12/12/12:

The GPU'S:

Etch primer was used on copper blocks and aluminium backplates and PCI brackets, Quick sand with 800grit and then the same painting process as the PSU, 3 coats paint (high heat paint on the blocks), clear coat and polishing over about 2 weeks to ensure curing time.
    The Plexi tops had a once over with the Micro-Mesh system, Ive not tried the torch method yet.
    A marked improvement in clarity of the plexi edges for the lighting effects.
    After polishing, I masked off the edges with Tamiya tape and gave the tops the good news with a session of gloss white/polishing, I masked the screw holes with....screws, Worked well and I now have a nice shiny set of white screws to use somewhere ;-)

I drilled some 3mm holes in the plexi tops to add LED's.
    4x 3mm red LED, 2x resistors connected to a 12v molex, black braiding was added later.
    I might swap out the molex for 3-pin fan style connector later on if my idea for lighting module works out.
    Action money shots will be added later once the entire build is powered up with lighting, they do like subtle, which is what I was after ;-)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old and very bold, the finished cards.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The RAM and RAM Cooler:

The Corsair cooler was stripped (decals seved), keyed and primed with etch primer.
    3 coats paint/1 gloss and a rather quick polish on the awkward surfaces, The decals re-applied last.
    I also replaced the white 3-pin fan connector with a black one.
    I might add some underside LED's at some point to light up the RAM.
    The RAM has had a non invasive decal mod that can be stripped off easily if the warranty is ever needed, The best thing about using these carbon fibre decals IMO.
    A collection of metal corsair badges have came in handy too ;-)
    Another 8GB to follow soon hopefully.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Sound Card:

Not leaving no black, white and carbon fibre stone unturned....the sound card got some of the business too.
    I decided to cut a backplate out of some plexi and cut the creative logo letter 'A' out of it, another piece of plexi was used below with some CarbFibr on it.
    Same painting method after diss-assembly, bit of spit and shine at the end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPDATE: 13/12/12

The CPU Block

[​IMG]

The Pump:
    DDC mounts ground off with dremel, sanded smooth and a decal job with CarbFib on the lower pump.
    The EK X-FLOW top has had part of a ROG sticker added to keep the colour/pattern scheme.
    The Pulse modding 120mm pump mount is stock, nice bit of kit too.
    Cables braided and shortened.

[​IMG]

The Res:
    Not much here except for a paint job on the bezel.

[​IMG]

Some SSD's:
    Simple sticker & badge mod that is reversible if the warranty is needed.

[​IMG]

Front Rad mounting:
    One of two. Simple and cheap solution for mounting in Antec 1200 Only a drill bit needed.
    Ill detail how these are fitted once I'm ready to build into the case and provide some better pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Antec fans:

Primed painted and polished a bit. replaced LED's with white one in all fans. Cables braided and the fans oiled up a bit. These are only a stop gap until I decide on some other fans.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
  2. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

reserved

3. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

second reserved

4. Ra6

Ra6 What's a Dremel?

That's a prefect match of colours! Nice!
    Maybe you could put some more carbon vinyl around that mesh to combine with the centre circle! ;)

5. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

This seems to be getting pretty cool.

6. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Updated main

7. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Ill certainly give that a try, cheers.

Thank you

Updated main
    apologies about the pic quality, my phone cam is crap.
    The final 'money shots' are hopefully going to be taken with a decent DigiSLR

8. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Change of plan on some parts ....

Front mounting the 240mm (it was on the rear) instead of 120mm's and adding a 200mm top mounted fan.
    I have decided at a later date to drop the Black ice 240mm and replace it with the Alphacool 240mm Monsta, it will fit in the front nicely.
    I built an MDF scale model of the 200mm rad to test fit and I can definitely make this work.
    So, ill have a front 240mm and top 200m on the finished chassis.

I'm dropping the antec 120mm fans for some Enermax Appolish 120mm's and going to mod the top 230mm Antec fan to match the Apollish fans.
    SMD LED's and some chrome effect base coat & transparent red top coat paint from the airbrush should work.

Will add more pics this weekend of the cutting and dry fitting of the rads in the chassis.