1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Workbench/desk build advice

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Shanx, 4 Aug 2015.

1. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

Hi all

As the title says I want to build a workbench/desk as I have no place at the moment to be able to attempt my first crack at modding.

I have been looking on the interweb and all the info I have found is for woodworking benches and these seem to high.

Any suggestions or advice on height and depth would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Shanx

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Bloody tapatalk

Last edited: 5 Aug 2015
  3. theshadow2001

Although I have done bits and pieces for work over the years, I'm not really a workshop kind of guy. But I would think that a workbench should be around waist height give or take. The actual thing you are working on is going to change the height you are operating at anyway, so there is not going to be a consistently perfect level for every job.

As for depth you probably don't want much more than you can reasonably reach, unless you are making a free standing bench. The "workbench" where I work now is essentially a kitchen worktop which has a suitable amount of depth.

4. asura

asura jack of all trades

Varies from person to person - as a jeweller, a work-bench should come to just below to just above your sternum when sitting comfortably (sitting comfortably is a whole other topic) depending on the way you work. Flat level surface of arms length, with drawers/storage/wall-mounted tools at the extent of reach.

A simple way to test what's comfortable is to sit comfortably at any random table, if it feels to low, prop it up temperately until it's at a comfortable height, then measure your reach. If it's too low don't cut the legs off, very unpopular, instead try raising your seating position until the table is comfortable.

This should give you a pretty good idea of what you want.

5. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guys

I think i'll have to mock something up and try and get a feel for the right height.

It just feels like i need something to be high enough to stand over and do heavyish work at like drilling and cutting but also something to sit at when doing something like soldering or wiring.

Thanks again

6. theshadow2001

Well, since you are making it yourself why not have standing bit and sitting bit, if you find you need different heights. My desk is a reasonable height for sitting at, but I would prefer something a few centimeters taller if I was to stand to work on something.