1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable PSP LCD ON A LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willie19a, 3 Apr 2009.

1. willie19a

willie19a What's a Dremel?

IS it at all possible to attatch my psp lcd straight onto the motherboard of my laptop and use powerstrip to set the settings for the screen which is 480 x 272.

The thing i am trying to do is have a small screen for my laptop, as i am putting my old compaq presario 1246 laptop onto my scooter, but i dont want a massive screen as this would look rediculous.

So i am trying to use a psp's lcd instead, but there are little options i have in terms of connecting. I can do it 3 ways.

I can connect a psp to the laptop and use a psp mod and some software so i can view the screen, but the only problem is that my computer is so old and running on tinyxp rev 09 with only 64mb of ram and it cant handle the program for the computer, so that option is out the window.

The other way is by buying an lcd controller so that i can attatch it to the vga port on the laptop but this is very very expensive, and would be cheaper going out and buying an in car computer with a screen and extending the cables. So the only other real possible solution is if i can wire it straight onto the laptops motherboard.

If i get the psp lcd and laptop lcds pinout, would it be possible to do this, keeping in mind that i dont actually need the laptops lcd so if it works that will come off, and i dont mind soldering, im getting pretty good with a solderin iron these days. any help will be great thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Apr 2009
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No. The PSP screen interface is proprietary and embedded in the PSP custom-made circuits. The laptop uses a proprietary screen interface for the laptop screen that it was designed to work with. You'd need not only the pinouts for both the motherboard and the screen, but probably also write a specific driver for it. Powerstrip assumes a VGA-driven screen so it is useless in this scenario.

3. willie19a

willie19a What's a Dremel?

lol well i guess thats out the window aswell. they dont make laptops easy to mod do they!!! is there any other possible solution you can think of which i can hook my psp lcd to my laptop, even if it is building an lcd controller from scratch!!! or do you know where i could purchase an lcd controller for the psp lcd so that it can connect via VGA port?

4. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

a small screen from halfords for car audio would be alot easier, think they run on RCA AFAIK. but you probably have your mind set on installing the psp/budget whatever.