1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Can you get into Arkham Asylum?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by boiled_elephant, 30 Apr 2013.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

[​IMG]

This game has already been mentioned by a couple of people in the Last game you completed thread as being a difficult one to muscle through. For my part, I can't get past two missions; I get out into the asylum proper and just get bored and misdirected. Everyone I know who's played it found it compelling and well-guided, but I just get lost, or bored, or die one time too many and get frustrated. Am I the only one who's struggling or who has struggled to get into it?

And a related question: is it worth it? Does the game pick up later on? The voice acting is enjoyable, but the gameplay seems really tepid based on the first couple of levels...

2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I finished it over christmas and really enjoyed it.

I'm just trying to think how you got out. Whats the last big fight you had?

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm the same, was utterly enjoying the game and then got completely and utterly stuck (think it was beating Bain) and after repeated attempts I ditched the game.

I like a challenge but the bit I was on was semmingly imposible.

I have Arkham City as well but haven't even installed it.

4. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

I enjoyed playing it, didn't really get lost to much as such.

I got stuck on Poison Ivy and shelved it for a few months. I was playing on KB which isn't the greatest option. When I did go back to it I had an MS joypad which made things better.

I am not really a big fan of Action/Adventure games, nor the whole Super Hero thing (films + comics etc), but I've always liked Batman for his gadgets so I think this helped capture my attention on this occasion.

5. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I thought it was great probably completed it 6 times over the years.

Lost? Killed? Impossible parts?

Don't remember anything like that maybe i'm better at games than I thought and your just really bad.

6. October

October Mariachi Style

I got a bit stuck in a bit with a load of snipers, wasn't entirely sure where I needed to go and died lots so I gave it a bit of a break, discovered Bad Company 2 and haven't made it back to try again since... I really enjoyed it up until that point, maybe it's time to try again. Does it save to the Steam Cloud?

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I don't remember ever getting stuck in this game. I did however get very frustrated with parts of it (the boss fights and the scarecrow bits I hated). I nearly didn't buy Arkham City because of this - which would have been a mistake as since I have completed that on the PC, Xbox and PS3 and it is one of my most favourite games ever!

8. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I have a feeling it uses GFWL for it's save system, which while a shite system, should mean you at least keep your saves

9. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Truthfully one of the best SP experiences I've ever had. Especially with the addition of 3D Vision.

Even if you do have to try and wade through GFWL

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Thoroughly enjoyed Asylym (I've completed it on both the PC and the 360 a couple of times), But I've found it hard to get into Arkham City though.

Tip for Bain
    Stay close to the wall diving left/right when he throws a rock/body/whatever. Throw a batarang when he charges at you and dive out the way, he should get staggered after running into the wall. Climb onto his back to pull out one of the Venom tubes (not sure if you need to attack him first, it's been awhile since I've played) retreat to a distant wall and repeat twice more.

Yes, It does use Games for Windows.

11. Scroome

Scroome Modder

I completed the game winter before last, and whilst I enjoyed it overall, it was a bit of a slog to do in places.

Started Arkham City and got bored after an hour. Just didn't grip me all that much.

Teelzebub likes this.
  12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Amazingly dull game. I never even got past the first hour and a bit.

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Whenever I get stuck on a boss fight, I look up a video walkthrough on youtube and see what I should be doing. Then I finish the boss fight and go back to enjoying the game :)

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I really loved AA, but AC was very dull imo - not to say I didn't enjoy it, but nowhere near as much as AA.

15. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I loved the game, took a little to get into but not too long. I had to look up a couple of bits for some help but overall I didn't find it difficult at all. It just kept getting better. And Arham City was even better after getting used to the extra gadgets.

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

My apologies, I didn't realise it was arsehole hour. I'll try again another time.

Thanks to everyone else for the input, though. Think I'll give the game another go.

17. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

I do remember Bain being a bit of a butt ache. But I stuck with it and after about 20 attempts I beat him, only had 1 bar of health left so it was damn close.

Posion Ivy was where I got stuck and shelved the game. The main problem for me was trying to hit the right keys on the keyboard at the right time. When I got the MS controller things became a lot easier and more enjoyable. :thumb:

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

As mentioned, playing the game with a controller makes things a lot easier.

I enjoyed both AA and AC very much, never really got stuck and felt both games are well paced. Never got stuck as the visual/voice cues helped a lot.

However, best not to leave it. Later puzzles/challenges build on previous experience, if you forget how to do things, it will be quite hard trying to remember them.

19. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I loved it and keep meaning to get Arkham City - now you've reminded me again!

I took my time with it, scouted the areas for bad guys and then worked out paths to get them. If it didn't work I tried a different path. I loved the art work and the story behind it - especially the crazy looking joker and the hidden stuff which gives you the story of the Asylum.

Personally I wasted quite a lot of time retracing my steps because I explored every bit of a environment before going through a door to the next level etc. Meaning I had to come back to those places when objectives became active for them. I enjoyed it that much that it wasn't a problem doing that though.

20. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Arkham City is a great game, but it drags out in the middle considerably. Also there are way too many Riddler trophies/puzzles. I'm all for collectables, but they cluttered up the city and took away from the game IMO.

Aside from gripes like that it's still one of the best games I've played in recent years, not sure why some people took to one game but not the other.