1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Wireless head set for gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keir, 2 Jun 2010.

1. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Looking for a wireless head set for gaming.

needs to be at least 5.1

What would you recommend?

Last edited: 2 Jul 2010
  2. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

bump

Need this now as my zalman 5.1 head set's right side speakers are dying. :(

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'd like to bump this as I am in the same position. I hate having to take off my headphones to go anywhere else in my room. (i have a big room, see the where you game thread).

If its JUST for teamspeak have you considered using a xbox headset and reciever or bluetooth? (and a speakers)

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

5. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

The Roccat Kova is a awesome headset - 5.1 surround sound, Looks nice, removable mic... everything you would expect for £60 :]

6. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

If you want a headset for gaming then you don't want wireless. Wireless reduces sound quality and imposes lag upon audio. Always stick to wired.

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Yeah not too fussed on wireless now as the lack of response is leading me to believe they must be crap.
    how about these?

Razer Megalodon

8. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Yep they look good to me... I am using the Creative Fatal1ty Headset and can't fault that for the price. I bought mine for about £30 I think a couple of years ago and the sound quality is absolutely excellent.

Steer clear of steelsounds... although they are good, they don't last long at all.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

For that money you could already get some properly good headphones and a separate mic.. Maybe not everyone likes a separate mic, but I just for that money it would be a total nobrainer for me.

10. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

It's a lot of cash for the Razer set but they do look swish.

Good sound quality is a must.

I've had the Zalman 5.1 headset since i27 when ever that was, I'd even have them again. (would have to be brand new mind.)

Last edited: 2 Jul 2010
  11. Jipa

You really, really love the surround effect? I'd just like you to borrow a good stereo headphones from somewhere or someone just to try how they sound in games. Also I'm rather suspicious of the build quality of the gaming headsets.. I can't help but feel you're paying way too much for the brand, marketing and idea and the actual sound quality and build quality come second.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just keep in mind that gaming headsets also have to include the cost of the mic. It's not always enough to justify them, but it is there and of course the value of that mic can mean different things for different people. I've always gone with gaming headsets (and currently have a Soundblaster Arena which is pretty good on sound/build quality) just because standalone mics bother me and don't fit too well with my desk setup.

13. Jipa

Yea I suppose it always boil down to the damn personal opinions :) Anyway I just threw the possible option to the mix, give it a thought.

14. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Yeah surround sound is a must.

15. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Since FPS such as CSS Surround sound completely changes the game! you can pick up a logitec 7.1 surround sound, but im aware that lots of these 5.1/7.1 headsets are just gimmicks and virtualize the surround sound rather than it being a true 5.1/7.1 so be very careful when you buy!

16. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

5.1/7.1 can never be very effective with headphones because of the spacing. For example, the rear speakers would be directly next to the centre speakers... so you wouldn't notice much difference. Best bet is to get a stereo headset and a Creative X-Fi soundcard with CMSS 3D.

17. Jipa

I'd love to see just how they've actually placed the 6 (5 + sub) or 8 (7 + sub) speaker cones inside the headphones :D Three one one side, four on the other? It's always more or less a virtual thing, that's largely why I rather buy good stereo headphones and (if needed) try using some software-thing to create the virtual surround effect.

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The virtual surround also makes music and VoIP a little strange for me. My headset supports all the fancy Creative things to add and it makes voice sound strange. Nothing major, but when I first got them I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off, and when I turned off the virtual surround sound it was a huge relief for voice and music. You're right though, better to get stereo with the virtual option than always on physical.

19. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

I've always wondered this also... but there are quite a few out there which do claim to have '7.1 surround sound' without any virtual gimmicks.

20. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Yeah, I'm always cautious with things like this... you should check out the Psyko 5.1, thats definitely not virtual LOL!

Tags: