1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce 3DVision & How 3D Works

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Last edited: 9 Jan 2009
  2. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

when you said you had problem in TF2, did you use the minimal HUD option or the default one ?

3. CardJoe

Default.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I got a feeling I did this all before years ago. In fact I remember it like yesterday it was in 1999. Asus Vr100 running on a V3800 (TNT2) videocard with the game Descent2 on a 120hz CRT. It was fun at first but then my head started to hurt after a hour or so.

But guess what! Now you have to buy a brand new 120Hz LCD monitor (if you can find one) to make it work. ROFL....

5. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

did you try with the minimal setting ?
    if you did, was it better ?

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I would rather fork out for a Dell 30" LCD than a 22" 120hz LCD, the 22" would probably cost more.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

120Hz LCD - that _IS_ a crippling factor... add to that that the goggles aren't exactly cheap, and that it (from what i gather) is NV only...

8. Spamius

Spamius What's a Dremel?

Yep, as Obiwan said, NVidia have done this before - I had the same setup years ago on an Asus Geforce2MX - never did get it working very well though.

9. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

I'd probably spring for it if it wasn't for the no doubt shockingly expensive monitor requirement

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Funny, i just ordered the NIA, and i just bailed to the red team, AND i have no intention of replacing my screen.
    I guess it'll take a while before i'll jump on board for these then :hehe:

I saw that Zalman monitor at a LAN a while back, and a 42" counterpart too, but both of them just looked like there was something wrong, and gave me a headache after just 5 minutes.

11. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I notice in the artice that the kit came supplied with a long DVI to HDMI cable, thus would it be safe to assume then that these glasses are compatible with digital displays?

Ive already got a set of the eDimensional 3D glasses which ive had for a few years now, which work in exactly the same way as these nvidia set, however the glasses refresh rate is linked to that of the VGA signal, so have to install a dongle between the gfx card a monitor.
    So again I assume the refresh signal is supplied via USB for the nvidia set.

Can you also confirm that these worked in Vista... even better x64?
    One of the main issues with the eDimensional set is that it lacked drivers, specially for vista.

Ive a 42" plasma screen which supports 120hz refresh, and can confirm that they do indeed work very well, I specially like Dawn Of War for this, the menu is rather awesome but then in game play just makes thing look like they popping out of the screen.
    Which reminds me that I should really dig them out and try again with the new projector.

However yet again as experienced by bit-tech, headaches do soon start to arise after an hour or so of play.

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Just to clear some points up here

The tech works on any 120Hz monitor - CRT or TFT
    We tested using both Vista 64 and 32 bit throughout.

13. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

Whatever happened to the OCZ NIA review? I thought you got a sample one months back

14. CardJoe

We couldn't get reliable performance out of it at all even after four weeks of testing, so we decided not to venture an opinion. Some people (Tim mainly) could get it working very well and helpfully straight away sometimes, while I couldn't control it at all and didn't see the point of it. With no reliable foundation for an opinion, we decided it wouldn't be wise to publish.

15. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

i frankly would have liked to ead your experiences with it anyway. If only the people that get it to work let themselves be heard on the net, but 90% never gets anything, i'll be wasting my money...

16. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

I am really looking forward to 3d gaming... however this doesn't quite do it for me. The holy grail for me is total immersion 3d gaming with headtracking etc, I want to be IN the game :)

17. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

I might have missed it, but what is the impact on framerates? I also had Asus VR100 once, they gave me a headache sooo quick ;)

18. CardJoe

We're not going to publish the review, which explores the issue and tech in great detail and weighs the arguement carefully...but my personal opinion is that it's a waste of money. I spent 4 weeks with it, trying desperately to get it to work and with guided help from the NIA's designer, who unlocked special driver utlities for me and gave me lots of advice. In order to play with it I had to ground myself by having one shoe off and my foot on the PC case, I had to avoid sweating or having any caffine and I couldn't talk or move my head when I played it. Even then I, personally, didn't get good results.

The review itself was never properly finished, but I certainly wouldn't advise getting one. 3DVision is a much better buy.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We were also told the unit is broken or that it was EMI interference from our many open test benches and we should be getting better results, and there's the fact that I HAVE seen it working elsewhere (at OCZ mind you). Out of everything we don't want to give false information - it's the difference between a quality, rounded review and just a blog spouting crap ;)

EDIT: Joe said :eek:

20. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That rules out 99.9% of people that use computers!

Tags: Add Tags