1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Fascia for LED display on ugly PCB

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ending Credits, 16 Sep 2014.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of cobbling together the beginnings of a dashboard for our Solar car project. I was wondering what the best way to allow individual components (such as LEDs and 7-segs) to be visible while protecting them (and also, ideally, hiding the ugly PCB). Whatever it is, it would need to still be readable in situations with harsh sunlight (although not shining directly onto the display).

I quite like the idea of a smoked black plexiglass faceplate which whould hopefully hide most of the componentry but still allow the LED light to be visible. We could also spray paint the underside black to hide everything except the LEDS/7-segs. it would be nice to be able to etch the front of the plexiglass with symbols for all the various indicators, how well would this work?

I don't know how LEDs work with smoked black plexiglass though, can people share their experiences? I'm also worried about how complicated it's going to be to machine.

And does anyone have any other ideas?

Many thanks!

2. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

It will work m8 but the brightness will be reduced alot and more the thicker the plexiglass gets

you could all ways drill the plexiglass and mount the led in it ?

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Thanks, I'll bear those in mind!

Is there any particulalry good place to buy acrylic?