1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News X11 GUI installed on G1

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

Hmm... Sounds interesting...
    I need to get my hands on one of these things...

3. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

You can't be serious?
    Unless I'm not quite understanding the process here, how can you call interacting with an OS over VNC an "installation".

I could do this, with any OS, on any VNC client- on any device. But surely you're already aware of that?

4. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

While I do admire the fact that it works, I must say I'm getting bored of these XYZ-OS running on the ZXY phone/computer/potato.
    Apart from a demonstration of it bein possible, what's the use? I see no real reason for having this on a phone, or Android on the Eee. A phone is a phone and an OS made for a phone will always be more usefull than a desktop OS/GUI (same goes for mobile phone OS on a computer).
    All that said, I'm disappointed nobody made an Android build for my HTC TyTN - get on in you tinkerers!

5. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

ack, don't flame me.

I pulled a stupid :(

6. ghostwalker

ghostwalker What's a Dremel?

eevan - Many comments on sites that have blogged my tutorial seem to be getting the wrong end of the stick. This is not connecting to a remote desktop on another machine! This is x11 and LXDE Desktop running LOCALLY on the G1 device, the reason I had to connect back to LOCALHOST on the device (rather cleverly, if I do say so myself) is because there are no drivers. This circumnavigates the need for drivers.

Hope that clears it up?

7. ghostwalker

ghostwalker What's a Dremel?

eevan - Many comments on sites that have blogged my tutorial seem to be getting the wrong end of the stick. This is not connecting to a remote desktop on another machine! This is x11 and LXDE Desktop running LOCALLY on the G1 device, the reason I had to connect back to LOCALHOST on the device with VNC (rather cleverly, if I do say so myself) is because there are no drivers. This circumnavigates the need for drivers.

Hope that clears it up?

8. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

hey ghostwalker,

I quickly realized that after giving the full article a read- my bad.

But wow, that's a really intelligent solution to the inherent problem is lacking video drivers. Kudos to you for the out of the box thinkin!

Well done,
    e

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

In the article the word treacle :eyebrow: was used. I actually had to look that one up. If anyone else was confused, see definition below from www.webster.com.

"2 chiefly British a: molasses b: a blend of molasses, invert sugar, and corn syrup used as syrup —called also golden syrup"

10. Neophyte4Life

Neophyte4Life What's a Dremel?

Fantastic. Now i can experience the joy of intermittent "localhost:10.0 broken" on my PC and phone. GUI's are for nOObs.

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Not quite, Golden Syrup is the yummy golden coloured stuff you put in desserts, Treacle is it's bitter, stickier, not-even-edible-raw half-brother. It's black, extremely sticky and gloopy, and is often used to relate to something that whilst does move, does so extremely slowly and with difficulty. A common phrase would be "running through treacle", implying moving with great difficulty. I had no idea it was chiefly British. What does everyone else call it?

12. 4Rm0D

4Rm0D What's a Dremel?

molasses

13. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

Ha! Everyone reading Pratchett should know treacle (see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treacle_mining) and, really, everyone should be reading Pratchett :p

Tags: Add Tags