1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft unveils haptic feedback monitor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I don't understand. I've never used a touchscreen where you physically need to push it back.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's the point: Microsoft has created something new. If it helps, imagine it as a monitor mounted on a Novint Falcon.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

If this means one day my phone will fight back, I want my 3210 back!

5. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

It means that typing on touch screen phones just may get tolerable.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

No. It's got nothing to do with touch screens phones unless you mount them on a robot arm.

This is just another research project by MS. Don't expect it to result in anything close to a real product.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

When the article mentions 3D monitor is that a true 3D display or a stereoscopic displays ?

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I still have mine but not used it in years, wonder if there's win7 drivers for it...

I remember some of the tech demos that came with it (one was as if you were moving the stick through molasses another was as if your were trying to balance the stick on the tip of a pyramid. Shame the only real application seemed to be the flight sim.

9. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Well I already have a potential use for it. Flightsim... You're using A10 sim and looking at the instrument panel using your Track IR... you can lean forward and when you touch a virtual button in the cockpit... you feel it.

Having said that... I think a monitor on a robot arm maybe is a bit limited.

My ideal would be Oculus rift and a haptic glove with Leapmotion for accurate hand positioning.

10. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Its called Swipe, and its already very tolerable. If your on a Crapple and you don't live typing, maybe you should consider switching.

Also I agree with Guinevere, this is highly irrelevant to cellular screens in the near future. Ultimately the tech sounds like it could be really awesome though. I think these concepts go well beyond gaming too. Immersive interaction (while absolutely not needed) could really change professions like drafting. Generate a 3D model, set the material, and be able to touch the screen and interact with it as a solid is a pretty awesome concept.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Active-shutter stereoscopic - you can just about see the glasses in the picture.
    Same - although my PC doesn't actually have a gameport anymore, so it's a bit redundant other than as a relic of a bygone era.

Gamers used to what passes for 'force feedback' these days don't know what they missed. Forget a bit of a rumble effect from a vibration motor or two; the Sidewinder Force Feedback could do so much more. Best memory: I was playing the excellent Independence War, which put you in command of a massive battle cruiser flying through space. I got into combat, and a lucky shot snuck past my shields and took out my lateral thrusters. What did the joystick do? Lose auto-center capability on the horizontal axis; if I moved the joystick vertically it would resist me as normal, fighting to return to the centre point, but it just flopped limply in the horizontal axis. When my engineers had repaired the damage, the joystick shuddered back to life and worked as normal.

Absolutely incredible stuff, and doubly so when you realise that beyond the Novint Falcon we basically have nothing like it available today.

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Mine came with a game port to USB adapter, so I've always used it through USB.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Sounds like you have the Force Feedback 2, then - mine's the original Pro model, which isn't USB compatible. Well, without a proper USB connected gameport adapter, which wasn't bundled.

14. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I think it was the Blackberry Bold that had a clicky touchscreen, it felt horrible to type on!

I loved the haptic feedback on my HTC Desire but I really don't miss it on my Nokia 920.

Cool idea though!

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Just checked (as I've got home) yep, I've got the Force Feedback 2 (and it is native USB, not through an adapter) I also have (an extremely dusty) Microsoft Precision Pro (which uses a similar frame to yours, but without the force feedback) which has a gameport socket and a USB adapter.

Edit: Well the precision Pro works, just need to find a power cable to test the FF2 one :)

I need to dig out my Star lancer discs...

Last edited: 3 Jul 2013