1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU overheat fix?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Greg_Head, 7 Sep 2013.

1. Greg_Head

Greg_Head What's a Dremel?

I recently bought a Haswell overclocked bundle from Scan and every so often it overheats and causes the computer to restart. After running Prime95 I believe that somewhere in the BIOS it is programmed to do this if it reaches 100C (The fact it gets there is worrying). Is there any way to help make sure the CPU keeps cool, how can I make sure my CPU fan is running on 100% etc. Any help is appreciated and my tech spec as always :

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-K (SOCKET 1150)
    Graphics
    S23B550 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Acer A231H (1920x1080@60Hz)
    SONY TV (1768x992@25Hz)
    2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Hard Drives
    1863GB ATA Hitachi HDS72202 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
    I am also running an Arctic 7 Freezer Pro CPU cooler.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

As it's an OC bundle from Scan you would be best to contact Scan or you could post for support in Scan sub section.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/forumdisplay.php?f=84

If it needs the fan running 100% to stop it crashing then there's something wrong so that's not a solution, Have you tried reseating the CPU and putting new TIM on

Last edited: 7 Sep 2013
  3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

This is the major issue I have with buying pre-overclocked bundles. They're setup on a test bench at Scan but once you get the components home, in your own case, in your own room, there's likely going to be a vast difference in ambient temp and airflow.

I'd give Scan a call in the first instance and tell them what's happening as they're obliged to guarantee stability at that overclock if sold as such.

4. Greg_Head

Greg_Head What's a Dremel?

I shall try to call them tonight and obviously worst case scenario is flash the BIOS and remove the overclock all together.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You can do, but you've paid extra for the overclocked bundle, so you're technically out of pocket if you do that.

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Its that cooler tbh H100i or Phanteks latest cooler or the Mount Doom shoukd cope with an over clocked haswell system.

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I would check the CPU cooler mounting and fan. Make sure it's all plugged in correctly, make sure the CPU fan settings are correct. Also make sure your case fans are blowing correctly and if you have your PC inside an entertainment center or something make sure you have good ventilation.

If not, then like mrdom said, your cooler may not be totally adequate. I thought those Arctic Cooling fans were supposed to be pretty good, but Haswell and Ivy Bridge can get pretty damn hot when overclocked.

Try reducing the voltage of the CPU a little bit at a time. It's possible that Scan set it to pump more volts than it needs to reach it's overclock, and those CPUs are extremely sensitive to voltage bumps. Knock it down one notch at a time until it becomes unstable under load and try to find a stable voltage that doesn't turn your CPU into a furnace.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Definitely the cooler struggling to handle the heat. Was that the one supplied with the bundle?

9. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Are you sure it is actually overheating though? Run a temp monitor program such as speedfan and confirm temperature is the issue first.

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I would say that if the system is just shutting down it is definitely over heating. Better cooler required tbh.

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Isn't this a guaranteed overclock? They need to fix it at their expense.

12. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What is the overclock on it / what are the volts being used to achieve the overclock? I would say that, going by previous things I've read on here about Scan's pre-overclocked bundles, they've used a large amount of voltage to get a stable overclock and combined that with a cooler that's not up to the job of cooling it effectively...

Edit: However if it's this bundle then the overclock is only 4.2GHz which, as far as I was aware, often didn't require any extra volts for haswell...

13. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

TBH the Arctic 7 Freezer Pro CPU cooler was a good cooler when they first came out but a bit meh now, I would change that for a Corsair H80/100 I've got a H80i on my rig and @ 4.6 idle is 19c and load is around 40c

14. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm running an H60 and my 3570K at 4.8GHz. The highest temp I have seen is 75C running prime. It's closer to 60C if I run at 4.5GHz. Surprising good cooler. In general the all-in-one water coolers are the way to go.

Having said that, you should contact Scan seeing as this is an overclocked bundle from them. It should not be overheating.