1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Passive pc

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by skulth, 18 Aug 2014.

1. skulth

skulth What's a Dremel?

Hi guys!

So I have started to do a new PC design. I plan on doing a completely passively cooled pc with gaming components. I have specified the 2 heat sinks I am going to use for 350watts while only having a temp rise of less than 30C under full load. Even with high loads a fan pushing less than 20CFM. (yes this means 2 heatsink in excess of 300mm square.

The idea is simple, mount the heatsink to the motherboard on one side with copper blocks for all the heat generating components. Then using a PCI express extender I plan to mount the graphs card on the opposite side again with copper blocks on the heat generating parts.

In terms of building I think the best way is to build it up from the heatsinks up. and then join the 2 sides in the center. To then spread the heat over the surface of the heat sink a series of 10mm heat pipes.

[​IMG]

I will mill the path ways for the heatpipes into the heatsinks and then embed the pipe onto the heat sinks with a epoxy resin, I know solder would be better but resin is a lot easier.

I haven't figured it all out yet but this shows the start of my idea.

Whats everyone thoughts? Will it work?

(The space is ment to have my current cad drawing in it but I cant seem to get it to work
    http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/dave_galloway1/media/passivepc1_zps88e274bc.jpg.html)

Last edited: 18 Aug 2014
  2. skulth

skulth What's a Dremel?

3. Kerroin

Kerroin What's a Dremel?

Hi, think this case will be interesting, but can you make a sketch or 3d model so we can see exactly what you're planning to do?

It's a bit confusing for now.

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I like the concept! Similar to the Streamcom cases, and, if you can pull off what you've got in the render, I think we're in for a very exciting project!

Also. :D

[​IMG]