1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nokia to cut 4,000 jobs by end of 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Yeah I heard that those 700 UK jobs will be lost in Farnborough.

3. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

It could well be a good move for them to go over to WP7, as it's an excellent UI for Joe Public to use.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, their big pluspoint is the free OVI-Maps, that work offline.
    Otherwise... meh

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Worrying times for Finland - I don't think they'll be prepared to take too much more before the get rid of Elop and return to the course they were on. I suspect a lot of them are currently feeling like the cancer is better than the (possible) cure.

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I think people are taking it quite well. 1400 jobs that are mostly moved to Accenture. According to the IT department in my Uni, Nokia-programmers are highly sought after. I'd be more worried about university students trying to enter the workforce with fierce, experienced competition.

As for Elop, everybody knows he's a CEO hired for the sole purpose of driving change inside Nokia. Once the immediate need for change is over, they will show him the door regardless of outcome. Nokia has a history of using local CEOs. A foreign one is needed to handle the nasty stuff no-one wants to do.

7. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Sad way for them to end up. I was loyal to the brand since my first Nokia mobile in 99. I went from being incredibly happy with my N95 to bitterly disappointed with my N97. Their flagship phone which they made a right mess out of and then abandoned it when a few more tweaks to the firmware would have made all the difference. I will never touch a Nokia product again.

I'm not that into Windows 7 mobile anyway, I can see it's appeal but I'd rather the app focused Android OS.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

nokia didn't just ditch that symbian os they also ditched moblin, which they were working on with intel. i don't understand why they'd spend so many years working on multiple projects and go for the least popular option and make today's economy even worse than it is now. seriously nokia way to be complete assholes.

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

It's only the least popular option for the people being cut. Both symbian and moblin have extremely harsh critics. Moving to WP7 gives their once dominating brand name a chance of clawing back some of that market share lost. Which it will.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

Bah...I spent an evening listening to two guys waving their schlongs comparing their new iPhones, the newer one beat the older one with a standby-time (with slight usage as a phone) of nearly two days...
    I have a 2005 Nokia (with it's original battery) that lasts a week (used to be near three).

Something is going very wrong here.
    (and yes I know it's neither a media-center, nor my inrternet hub and no it doesn't do facebook...it does however text and phone and keeps my calandar without me lugging it's charger around.)

11. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I feel very sorry for those people losing their jobs, but honestly I don't see Nokia in the same light I used to. The last two Nokias i had have been garbage and i will not buy another of their products.

12. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

900 just gone in Denmark! Real shame... bloody style over substance iRubbish generation.

13. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Nokia has very little substance right now though either.

Tags: Add Tags