1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete MINI MOTO MAYHEM: Photo Dump

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 23 Mar 2013.

?

Which Colour

Poll closed 24 Sep 2013.
  1. UV Lime Yellow

31.3%
  2. Pastel Blue

68.8%
  1. Asouter

Asouter --------

DELIGHTED TO BE SPONSORED BY

[​IMG]

Time to start a new project, This one is something I had in mind when I finished my first build but because of time/money it didn't start. This is going to be a long termer but hopefully it should be finished by the end of the year as there is a lot of work to do and hopefully it should help spread the cost of the hardware.

The name should give away the concept of the build, basically I have a couple of old minimotos that I can't run on track anymore (noise restrictions) and so I thought it'd be a cracking idea to utilise one for a build.

Ok some pics of where it's at

The bikes have been stored under a table in one of my sheds, it will give you an idea of how small these little motorbikes are.

[​IMG]

A bit of a zoom shot, you can make out some old bodywork there too, this body work might still be used but I figure that i'll have to make some new bodywork or at least add acrylic windows and modify these ones.

[​IMG]

Here it is next to my road bike.

[​IMG]

So now the bike has been rescued from a life in a garden shed, this is what it looks like in isolation. The reason I have chosen this one is that it has a very nice trellis frame with plenty of points to mount the hardware.

[​IMG]

Ok so now it's time to remove the engine, don't worry it won't go to waste, I have another frame that it can go into.

[​IMG]

The bike without the engine, there's plenty of space for what I have in mind. I will keep the throttle and brakes, It will need brakes to help it stop....err yes you did read that right, I plan to put an electric motor in the bike so that it will still run and i'll still be able to ride it. (it'll raise a few eyebrows at Lan parties)

[​IMG]

A view from the front, the PSU to run the PC and battery for the electric motor will fit under the seat. It'd be good to figure out a way of running the PC and the electric motor off the battery but failing that it will run off two different circuits.

[​IMG]

I have made out a board that is the same size as a mini ITX board to give me an idea of how the mobo will be mounted

[​IMG]

The system will be water cooled, I test fitted a rad, which is just a little too big so I will have to use smaller items. The reservoir will be in the obvious place, the petrol tank (gasoline for our American friends :eyebrow: ) There will be two rads mounted inside the frame on both sides of the bike.

[​IMG]

So hang on tight and watch where this project goes, you should be able to guess what direction I'm going in with the coolant :cooldude:

Last edited: 14 Dec 2013
    Pliqu3011 likes this.
  2. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

As a keen motorcyclist myself, this is AWESOME!! :)
    Can't wait dude!

3. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

This looks like it is going to be an interesting build. I like it when people repurpose things and use them for something they were not intended. Subbed and looking for more updates now!

4. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers man, good to see a fellow biker on here. I have big plans for this bike and it also helps with two of my hobbies. (Still waiting on the Wet Pi though)

Thanks Mech, I wanted to start this project last year. So I have had a bit of time to let my head think more about what I want to do with this build and of course stuff that will be added as it progresses. The bikes would not have had anymore use, So I get a PC and I'll keep the other just for nostalgia.
    Thanks for tuning in

5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

A PC-bike!?

Glad you mentioned this over in the motorcycle thread, will watch this with interest!

6. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

I really like this idea. Using petrol tank as a reservoir will be great.

7. postmangav

postmangav What's a Dremel?

I can't wait to see how this pans out. Had a mini moto years ago but just wrecked it.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe::rock:
    Go on :D:clap:

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This is going to be incredible!:clap::rock:

10. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers EvilMerc,
    I didn't want to hijack the motorcycle thread but knew some would be interested, good to see you following this build :thumb:

Thanks Pranja,
    I'm going to use an acrylic tank so the coolant will be very visible, it will be good to see it sloshing about.

Cheers Gav,

I don't think I've ever seen a minimoto that hasn't been wrecked at some point in its life, this one has been through the mill. So there is a fair bit of restoration to do, i.e. stripping and re-coating the frame, wheels ect...

:hehe::hehe: is that a hint of a smile I detect there Wayne ? :)

Well I did say that there was something I was trying to get my head around, Good to see you Andy :cooldude:

11. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Just the idea itself is... :rock::rock::rock:

12. Asouter

Asouter --------

It's "out there" that's for sure :cooldude:

13. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

this could get interesting...moar, naow! :D

14. Asouter

Asouter --------

Yeah I know I want to have it all finished like 5 minutes ago. I've been checking out the body work today to see what I have to work with. The seat unit is totally shot!!! and that has the tank cover attached :duh: but looking on e-bay there's one going for 99p so watching that or I can get a complete body kit (brand new) for around £30. Had to rethink the tank design so should have moar to share soon :thumb:

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 26TH MARCH

Time for an update, I've been searching for smaller radiators 160's would fit perfectly along the frame but by the time I've added fans they would only just fit across the frame and I wouldn't get any air flow through them. So a different solution is needed, what I have settled on is mounting a 240 underneath the spars. It fits perfectly

[​IMG]

It also gives me more room above the radiator for fans (I won't be using this one) and mounting points for other hardware .... more of that later

[​IMG]

Notice the bracket that's in the way of where the second fan will fit ? this is for the original fuel line and it just has to go

[​IMG]

Out with the Dremel, It's amazing how handy this tool is

[​IMG]

then the remaining weld and spatter (poor finish) is filed off

[​IMG]

the finished result, it's all gone while I'm sorting out the finer details of the build the frame will look quite tatty. I won't get this painted until all the added brackets have been weld on and I'm 100% happy with how everything fits (so bear with me) I don't want to have to add stuff after it's been painted.

[​IMG]

To make the tank out of acrylic and for it to be water tight would be near impossible without a proper mould and the use of vacuum forming kit. I'm not going to commission a company to do it for me as it would cost far too much, although it would look very nice I can't justify the expense.

So again a different solution is needed, I am going to sink a reservoir into the new seat unit but for now I am going to use the old one, so I can get a feel for the material and make sure I get it right. I shouldn't bugger up the new one. So here is the Old unit.... I did say it was completely shot but I'll tidy it up and it's good to practice on.

[​IMG]

I taped it up and marked up where I want to cut

[​IMG]

Again cutting with the Dremel

[​IMG]

and filing (yawn)

[​IMG]

I haven't ordered the reservoir yet so I will use a coke glass in its place and it will give me a rough idea of how it will look

[​IMG]

and finally a few pic of where it's at

[​IMG]

Sinking the reservoir into the tank, will allow me to fit the pump and route tubing out of sight, If I had done the tank in acrylic the build would have got very untidy

[​IMG]

A handy pic, helps me to visualise the orientation of the motherboard/graphics card and what space is available in the tail unit.

[​IMG]

That's all for now :cooldude:

16. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

How comes you didn't use the gas tank as the res dude?
    Coming along nicely! :D

17. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks man, the tank doesn't have a bottom, it's just a cover for a cheap and nasty container, the one in the first post

18. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

What an idiot, I just skipped to see what was new! xD

19. Asouter

Asouter --------

Ha, that's the kinda thing I do :hehe: but I just don't want to use that container, it would make things easier but I'd lose space under the tank cover and the coolant wouldn't be visible.

20. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

This is freaking awesome :D