1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals What wireless gaming mouse fits couch gaming best?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheGovernator, 17 Aug 2009.

1. TheGovernator

TheGovernator What's a Dremel?

This is my first thread here in bit-tech, so excuse any noobish omissions.

So.

My problem here is that my trusty 'ol Logitech G7 took one too many a plummet to the floor. Granted, this has not been a problem before, but this last time it had to land upside down, on the scroll wheel, which has refused to work since. And how can gaming and daily use of a PC work without a scroll wheel? Impossible I say!

My question to all you mystical Bit-Tech gurus is this: Does there exist a worthy replacement for a mouse such as the G7?

I have considered two options so far, the SideWinder X8 form Micro$oft and the Razer Mamba. Costs aside, I'm on the lookout for a new mouse that can do eveything (if possible) the G7 does: casual gaming from the couch, hardcore gaming from a desk, at least 3-4m range (that's about 10-14 feet) and take som pounding to and from LAN parties.

If anyone has first-hand experience with either of the mentioned mice, please help!!!

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

How about another G7?

Can't tell you about the Mamba, but the X8 is trash. It feels like the materials used cost Microsoft (or whoever) $.10, performance isn't any different than the MX Revolution (same friend who has the X8 also has this) or IMO my VX Nano.

My favorite wireless mouse is the Logitech VX Nano, but it really does seem like another G7 is what you need.

3. TheGovernator

If someone can conjure up a brand new G7 I'd be on it like stink. Problem is, they were discontinued sometime last year if I recall correctly (might actually be earlier) and it's virtually impossible to get one from where I live.

As I mentioned, cost is not an option, I'm just looking for people's opinions on the "contenders". Just want to be sure that when I spend from ~$110\~£70 to ~$150\~£90 on a mouse it serves me for another 3 years ;)

4. TheGovernator

:duh: :idea:

This just hit me: If I get both mice I could do a first-hand comparison and post it out here for people to see - might come in handy for others?

Afterwards the loser would go back to the shop and the winner would have the grace of collecting the dust off my desk :D

Last edited: 18 Aug 2009
  5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Try giving logitech a call and get it replaced under warranty if its still in warranty that is...

you say couch gaming, what the help do you use as a mouse mat?

7. TheGovernator

docodine: I want to still have warranty on the mouse, and use an etailer that is based in norway. I looked around, and I found one store that had it. Problem is that it was more expensive than the x8(!) so I'm going to pass on that one. Thanks for the help though!

Burnout21: Warranty went out a year ago.... would be replaced at once if I had warranty. As for mouse mat I was using the steelpad 4d (plastic 2mm thick) up until recently, when I misplaced it somewhere. I've been looking into getting a new one for quite some time though, been considering an icemat for awhile now.

8. gilesy

gilesy who cares who wins

9. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Mamba is alright but at the price its selling I'd just get a DeathAdder, no difference unless you play with really really high DPi, and transfer between computers to take advantage of its on-board memory.

10. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I've just bought a Razer Mamba as a replacement for my G7.

Both are now plugged into the same system but the G7 has been relegated to backup mouse.

The Mamba, if you can afford it has a slightly smoother response on screen and similar feel to the G7 in the hand. Literally, just updated the Mamba's firmware and installed drivers (hadn't bothered until now, it just worked.) Gave the DPI a tweak and it's really starting to shine.

There are a couple of caveats with the Mamba however. No removable battery like the G7. It lasts a long time, but if it runs out you can plug in the USB cable and use it like a wired mouse. It is fiddly disconnecting the cable, but not a deal breaker. The main problem is really the price.

Edit:
    Just checked the range IRL and both G7 and Mamba seem to work up to 6 metres away (beyond that is a wall.)

Last edited: 18 Aug 2009
  12. TheGovernator

DorkSterr: I was considering it for a moment, but then the wireless part is the reason why I'm in this "dilemma". A wired mouse just wouldn't work for me...

Gilesy: The "tits" part is why I'm considering it ;)

Moyo2k: Unfortunately neither would work since I primarily play FPS... This is why I don't have a console :p

Silver51: Good to hear from someone who has first-hand experience with the G7 and the Mamba. The fact that you mean Mamba is a worthy G7 replacement will not be disregarded :thumb:

I'm in the process of ordering both the Sidewinder X8 and the Mamba, just to get a hands-down comparison. Thanks to the Norwegian commerce laws I have the possibility to return a product bought over the net after 14 days without any particular reason other than "regret". I'm going to use this to my advantage and take a close look om both mice.

Right now I'm veering towards the Mamba, sice it has customizable dpi settings, which the G7 also has (and I'm using this extensively). However I'm not going to disregard that the X8 has its BlueTrack sensor. That's why I'm going to ultimaltey settle on which one to keep just by how it sits in my hand. I sometimes game over very long periods of time (up to 8-10 hrs out of 24) and from experience I know that how a mice sits in the hand might matter more than everything else. (wouldn't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome because of custom dpi or bluetrack :lol:)

13. TheGovernator

So.

I'm now waiting for my order to be processed at the e-tailer. I have to wait for a LCD-screen that they don't stock in the same storage facilities as the rest of the order, so I should have the gear on this Monday.

There has been a change of plans. As I mentioned earlier I decided to try both the X8 and the Mamba to do a comparison. However I've been forced to drop that because long story short, the enter key came off the diNovo keyboard I'm using right now, and it's been a pain to type on it ever since last week, when I managed to break it off.

Therefore only the Mamba will be present to grace my desk, however it will have a sibling at its side, the Lycosa keyboard also made by Razer. I might come back with some unboxing pics (and if I do I might come in with a little suprize).

Until then, whoever is reading this.

14. TheGovernator

It's here. The Mamba now sits on my desk, beside the Lycosa, and in front of a freshly unpacked Samsung 2233RZ.

Aside form a few startup problems linked to the fact that I'm running Win 7 build 7100 I have the mouse up and going. Frankly, I think I should have broken the G7 earlier. I mean, to get the Mamba earlier. It's exquisite. G7 is now backup and the Mamba is hugging my palm like it was made for it.

The Mamba is a tad longer than the G7, and it gives a little more support towards the wrist then the G7. It's a little more steep on the thumb-rest, but it's still comfortable. Just in a different way. Nothing that won't slide into place after a couple of days' use. In my eyes it's worth the slightly outrageous price if you can afford it and looking to replace whatever's sitting on your desk.

Sorry about the lack of photos, but my camera broke........ Apparently I'm having bad luck lately. I hope it ends asap :p

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

16. TheGovernator

Now that's wii for ya. Haha

Personally, I can't stand those controllers... Gimme a mouse in keyboard and I pwn most Games.