1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Gaming Mouse Double Click Issue List of Possible Fixes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dae314, 10 Jun 2013.

1. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Just a tiny bit of back story on this: I got fed up with my mouse randomly double (or even triple) clicking on me today and decided to look into it. The more I looked, the more I found out that it wasn't just my mouse's issue, it wasn't even just a brand issue. The double clicking issue seemed to affect basically any gaming mouse as it aged. Not everyone experienced it, but those who did found it very annoying and even felt that it interrupted gaming. I noted that Razer seems to have the most complaints though (sadly my mouse is a Razer). My mouse was out of warranty, but I wasn't willing to get a new one just yet so I started looking up solutions that would at least get me another year.

This post I think nails the issue on the head. Of course, mice using different switch types may be more or less immune to the issue and may require a different fix.

Below, you will find the results of my search. I didn't work for very long, so if anyone else found a fix for the issue please feel free to share it. Given the prevalence of the issue, I think this thread will be helpful. Fixes fall under 2 categories: software and hardware. Of course, the prefered solution is to RMA if your mouse is under warranty.

Software - These solutions are usually simple programs that intercept clicks that occur too quickly (usually within 0.1 sec of the first click). There is always the danger of downloading malware with this option

1. Kai's Mouse Fix - This did not completely solve my issue
    2. Another mouse fix I found - This is an excellent fix

Hardware - These solutions aren't too intense hardware wise, you usually just need a screwdriver and an exacto knife, but you likely void your warranty and you run the risk of bricking your mouse completely.
    1. Overclockers Community Guide to fixing your mouse

I haven't really tested any hardware fixes yet since I test the easiest solutions first ^^. I might just stop on that foreign page I found since it looks like it's working. These software solutions need to manually be added to your startup to be effective though :p.

If you have more ways you fixed your mouse, please post. I hope this thread can compile some good advice for people who suffer this problem in the future. I'll add your fix to the lists in this post too :clap:.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2013
    Margo Baggins likes this.
  2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Trying this on my double clicking g500 tonight! Have just taken it to bits, now I need to go to work, when I get back am going to take the switch to pieces and bend that little bit of metal. Will report back later and let you know if it has worked!

Thanks for posting this :) +rep

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Pretty common on my Logitech mice - I've got a useless MX1100-R because I botched replacing the switch (clumsy soldering), now my M705 is getting the same issues. It might not even be a year old yet... :(

4. Margo Baggins

Do you know where a replacement switch can be found? I'm guessing places like RS stock them?

Hopefully when I bend the metal bit it will rectify the fault, if not I will have to attack the mouse with my soldering equipment and replace the switch. Get you m705 replaced under warranty if it's less than a year? My G500 is about 4 or 5 years old. My M505 has not started to develop the fault at all yet. I used to have a mx900 that did it, that was a long time ago though before I was confident repairing electronics. Though I still have that mouse about somewhere, if it has the same switch as the g500 I could just pinch the right click from the mx900 and stick it on the left switch for my g500.

5. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Or you could just ask for a replacement mouse from the company? They often don't even
    want your old mouse back. So once you have a nice shiny new mouse, you can try and fix the
    old one with no fear of voiding a warranty.

I had the same issue with the mouse3 button my SS Xai. It was, I think, about 1.5 yrs old-ish. They replaced it no questions asked.

Logitech especially are great with replacing their products.
    Razer maybe not so much, but worth a try.

6. Margo Baggins

Already had the mouse open a bunch of times! warranty is out like the dodo. Plus, it's old, and I am happy to try fix it as I have another mouse already, I just like it less. And it's always fun attacking things with a soldering iron :)

7. Krikkit

I ordered a couple from eBay, I poked the model numbers etc in and found a couple for about £2 shipped.

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Most mice use Omron or Cherry microswitches. Omron have varying levels of quality for their switch depending on which various models and plants they are made. Cherry only have 2 primary models for mice switch. Cherry switch seem to be a lot longer lasting and durable, but the con is they are much stiffer than many Omron models.
    When it's not the switch itself causing the problem, the other most likely culprit is the inner housing, or more specifically the little plastic tab that comes into contact with the switch. Little rubber tabs are my favorite fix there.
    I've kept my MX Revolution going strong since like 2006 or something with a few replacements, mods and repairs here and there.

9. Margo Baggins

they are omron switches - I saw that written on them this morning when I took the mouse top off. If it's not the switch - I will post some pictures later and hopefully you may advise position for my rubber tabs :)

10. Margo Baggins

[​IMG]

when you realise you have gone too far the g500 is already in pieces :p

and then my stupid hamfists broke the switch :D now I must order a new switch. The two layer pcb is a bit annoying and desoldering the pins to get it apart was quite a pig, so not be undertaken by those who doubt their soldering ability!

11. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

The worst thing about fixing a lot of mice switch is the horrific lead free solder they tend to use that won't melt until it reaches the temperature of the sun!

12. Krikkit

Or their iron! My tip was too big to make a decent job, just ended up making a mess...

(Ahem :naughty:)

13. Margo Baggins

Yeah this happened! I hate ROHS stuff and lead free solder :p I am soldering it back up with 60/40

Yeah or this! I have 3 irons and a couple of tips so that's alright. I bought a new desoldering pump but it was worse than my original one so I am back using the original one.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2013
  14. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

When you get the new switch, if you could document a step-by-step+pix on how to replace the switch and solder it on that would make a great addition to the OP :). I'd have to change the caption by the Hardware solutions header though ^^.

15. Margo Baggins

Sure thing. I won't get the switch until the end of the week.

For me - a straight switch swap is the easiest bet, I probably have some switches at home I need to check the mice I have there and then I might be able to finish it before the end of the week, I tried to mess around with the inside of the switch, but I broke the copper bit as it's very thin and extremely tiny and my hands are very large and extremely boisterous haha.

16. Margo Baggins

I didn't take any pictures as I can't find my camera :( but it is all fairly self explanatory - and my double click has been solved by completely replacing the omron switch :) And I have a spare now for future breakages.

17. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Darn it's ok, unless someone else wants to give documentation a shot, I'll just let this thread sink to its grave and hopefully come up on Google when someone starts swearing at their mouse for double clicking on them all the time.

As a side note, that second software solution almost completely solved my problem. I should be able to go strong with this mouse for at least a year and get a new one then.

I also figured out the cause of my clicking woes ^^. I've since stopped playing the game, but for a good 6 months while I was in school I picked up OSU. If you've ever played the game you know why it quickly wore out the clicker on my mouse ^^.