1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Scratch-build. Decision time.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MarkVarley, 9 Oct 2014.

1. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I build alot of computers, I usually do some degree of modding, I've done a couple of scratch-builds before, but the one I'm currently doing is seriously chewing up time and money as this goes wrong then that goes wrong and it's decision time.

a. Start again. Spending more time and money to maintain quality.

b. Press-on. Some quality compromises but from the outside it'll look fine.

c. Just buy and mod a case.

The last option will save alot of money and time and as this is a personal build I'm free to choose any option.

Decision time....

2. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

it would help to show us some pics of where you are currently at in your current project, how much more money is the project going to need to be finished?

3. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I've been documenting some of it so far, I'll put the build log up as I'm erring more towards fighting it through to the end.
    Essentially I've got an aluminum frame with three sheets of perspex fitted, not much to show but every step has gone wrong!

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Is the mod geared around specific computer hardware? Would replacing any of that hardware cause issues? There is nothing worse then having a mod drag out only to complete it in time to replace the hardware, I've learned that lesson the hard way.
    Also consider following option 2, and take careful note of where things are failing and why. Then with case complete it is time to begin version 2 and follow option 1.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Things I've learned:

• Be modest in your ambitions. Even a simple build will cost more and take longer than you expected --and will turn out to be more complicated.
    • Cost everything in advance. Include materials and tools. See point above.
    • Don't tailor it to specific hardware. When upgrade time comes, you're stuck.
    • Don't buy the hardware until you really have to. It sucks to see unused hardware grow obsolete because you haven't yet finished your project.
    • Don't post a project log until you have a good bit of work to show.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

All of above and don't be scared to ask for advice and other's opinions

7. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Thanks folks, I've decided to press-on, I was probably mostly demoralised by a faulty dremel and something going wrong with every step so far.

The first stage is about done and can be replaced at any point if I decide to improve the quality.

I've now started a build log showing progress so far and I'll keep at it. I held-off starting the log until I'd made some progress and had something to show, I was going to wait a little longer but I could use the advice and support at this point.

The components for it are fairly universal except the size of the radiators. Aside from radiators, fans and new pipework and wiring everything will be coming from my current case.