1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Recommend me an mITX mobo!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bawjaws, 31 Oct 2014.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Evening all,

I'm in the market for a new PC as my trusty s775 set up is getting a little long in the tooth. The plan is to go mITX this time. CPU-wise I'll be going for a Pentium G3258 and that pretty much means that I have to overclock it :D

That being the case, can you fine people recommend me a suitable mITX motherboard for overclocking the Pentium? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that you don't necessarily need a Z-chipset board to overclock but can't seem to find any cast-iron confirmation of that. I'd also really like to avoid buying a motherboard that needs a BIOS flash in order to work with the Pentium, so does that mean that 8-series chipset boards are out?

Whilst I'm here, am I correct in thinking that for gaming, an Anniversary Edition Pentium should give better bang per buck than an i5 and should be fine for most games? Ideally, I'd get an i5 4690K or whatever, but it's 3.5 times the price of the Pentium and doesn't give 3.5 times the performance.

Cheers all
    Bawjaws

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oops, forgot to mention budget. It's £100 tops, but if I can get away with less then that's obviously good :D

3. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder