1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pogoplug launches Tor-powered Safeplug

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Nov 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Interesting. What kind of latency does it add?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seeing as how TOR is firmly in the sites of David Cameron i wouldn't be surprised if systems like TOR become illegal one day. People are already calling for it to be outlawed. :nono:

As DC has tasked GCHQ in partnership with the NSA to monitor the internet and crack TOR you maybe painting a big target on your head when they detect you are using encryption, proxies, or other security measures.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Lots. Lots and lots and lots. This ain't a great test, 'cos my ADSL is playing silly beggars this morning (95ms ping is usual), but here's what I get when I'm not using Tor: 6.2Mb/s down, 0.7Mb/s up, 295ms ping. Switch over to Tor, and: 1.18Mb/s down, 0.98Mb/s up, 816ms ping. Now, that's worst-case results: the longer you're on the Tor network, the better your connection - like any other peer-to-peer network. Still, you're looking at an easy trebling of your latency even when the throughput is better. Also, any given stream will only be as fast as the slowest node in the chain. Got some daft beggar running a proxy or exit node on a 56K modem? That's how fast your connection will be if you're unlucky enough to get that in the chain.

Oh, and the reason my upstream is better running Tor? The encryption process includes compression, which artificially boosts the result. Ideally, Speedtest.net would use uncompressable data for the test - but for some reason it doesn't.