1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'

Discussion in 'Software' started by techhead, 10 Sep 2015.

1. techhead

techhead Minimodder

For those people who want to stay with Windows 7. Microsoft in their wisdom will start to force Windows 10 to download to people who have not opted in Windows 10 but will not activate so they say.
    For those people who have broadband usage caps please be aware as this file is a 3.5GB to 6GB and may exceed your monthly usage allowance without people knowing that this file has been downloaded already.

It’s a case of: the one OS to rule them all and in the darkness bind them

2. techhead

techhead Minimodder

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You know at first I thought this was bupkis, it does come from the Inquirer after all. :)

But after doing some reading it does seem Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to peoples computers even though they've not reserved a copy. http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-installer-could-be-on-your-pc-whether-you-want-it-or-not/
    It seems giving it away for free wasn't enough, now your going to upgrade to Windows 10 like it or not.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I don't see the issue here, only a small minority won't eventually upgrade so its a good thing that when you do pull the trigger everything is there and good to go. Bummer if you need the space on your HDD but again, it's a small minority.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What makes you think only a small minority won't eventually upgrade?

Maybe some people don't want to upgrade until their current OS reaches EOL, forcing a new OS on them seems a little presumptuous, especially when there's so much uncertainty over what happens after the first years free upgrade offer ends.

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I don't see it as being forced, you do after all have the choice. But chances are the majority of PC users will the free upgrade by the end of July next year. The thought of missing out on a free hundred quids worth of software will insure that.

Besides Windows 10, although in its early stages is loads better than 8 and even 7! Time will tell I guess.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The only choice you have (afaik) is to change the default behavior of Window update, for want of a better word that is forcing Windows 10 on people.

Upgrading to a new OS isn't like automatically installing security updates, it's not even in the same ball park, imposing, compelling, or forcing a new operating system on people could cause some very serious issues for people.

I would also disagree (politely :)) with the premiss that the majority of PC users will take the free upgrade by the end of July next year, only a month after its release adoption rates are already slowing down, probably because, for all its supposed betterness, there are some rather glaring problems and privacy concerns.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It downloads the upgrade then badgers you to install it.

I won't be upgrading any time soon - I've already rolled back the two machines I had it installed on, because I don't see any benefit, for the slower performance and stability issues; not to mention the questionable privacy policy.

9. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

The problem is for people who have download caps on their internet, I know of one person who this cost them $90 because it caused them to go way over their data cap, other people have had their SSD filled and caused them a lot of problems in regards to that. This isn't a small minority of people.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

FTFY. :)

11. David

Mine just keeps popping up with "Your free upgrade is ready, click here to install!"

I'm just lazy and haven't gotten around to killing it, but it can eff right off.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Do you have the hidden folder "$Windows.~BT"?

Going on what I've read (pinch of salt) some people have reported coming back to find their Windows 8.1 machine booting up as Windows 10 after leaving it switch on for a length of time.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2015
  13. David

That is probably correct. The first time it popped up, it mentioned something like "update and restart now?" and had a timer, a bit like some of the normal Important windows updates; but I cancelled it or hit "not now" iirc. Now, it just mithers me every now and again.

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The badgering to update isn't too much of a problem (we do NOT want a repeat of XP), but automatic downloading of the update, even if it never runs without user intervention, is. A silent 3-4gb download is not good news for people on metered connections.

15. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

I've got to be honest the more it badgers me the less likely I am to upgrade.

I force removed the update that pesters you and told it to be hidden and it still came back to pester me even though the update wasn't installed. In the end I had to modify registry to get rid of the prompts.

I don't really see having to make edits in registry because of something MS is pushing on people as acceptable.

Also its not great for small business users who have Pro licenses etc as they think they can upgrade when in reality there is no certainty what will happen going forward.

I actually have windows 10 installed on my media machine as it needed reformating so its not that I hate the OS, but I'd rather not be pestered about it and it is my preference to do clean install only.

16. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Those privacy concerns (telemetry collection) have already been installed on win 7 + machines in the latest update unfortunately.

17. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Which update? I can't find any new privacy settings on my systems.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not if you're ahead of the game. :)

The ones handily listed hear.
    It goes without saying that not installing those updates could well cause problems in the future.

19. David

Ok, it's a simple matter of reviewing your update history in windows update - list the installed updates, in the search box, type KB3035583 then uninstall it.

That'll stop the bugger.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2015
    Cthippo likes this.
  20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Initially I tried to delete the executable that was running the prompt. Turns out that I don't have permission to delete something on my own computer :wallbash:

[​IMG]