1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bit-Torrent users targeted in a crackdown

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Oct 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

What :worried:
    Damm... :duh:

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

What can you say other than, if you choose to use the bit-torrent client to do something illegal, then you run the risk.

We can make up as many arguments as we like to justify it's use, but if downloading games/music/etc then it is against the law.

I do however feel indifferent about TV Shows, esp if you are already paying for those in your own region, it's just a shame that newer shows are not released globally at the same time.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Being frank, one more man means nothing. 5 thousand more people would mean nothing. Millions upon millions download, and the people who do it realise this, they can act with impunity, and they're more likely to win the lottery or be run over then be prosecuted by any recording agency.

I think maybe the record agencies better focus on making a product that people want to take over the internets one, for whatever reason they want to aim for. Copy protecting things to the hilt and increasing price is never a great way to sell things.

5. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Yeah, I know what you mean about TV Shows. If it's not available to purchase, I don't personally see a problem. It's much like my parents recording something on their DVD player and handing me the DVD. I can't get channel 5 where I live, but friends have passed me copies of things they've recorded on their PVRs. It's not really any different.

BTW in case there are still some people that didn't know about it, the BBC has been looking into P2P for a while now. iMP is only just 'round the corner.

6. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

If there was (or rather when there is...) a legal alternative I'd happily pay $2 (or probably £2 as being british we have to pay twice what the americans pay for stuff) a show for a download of a HD-TV show as it airs in the states, but if the choice is between infringing copyright or waiting 6 - 12months for it to be lower quality and cut to to make tea time viewing I know what I'd choose.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hex - as far as im concerned, you're totally right, but also if it's gonna be on TV anyway ive already paid for it if they are gonna show it freely on TV here. I could just as easily record it from freeview to watch later, i'd skip/use software to remove the commercials anyway so downloading it makes absolutely no difference. In addition it's only because they show it with 6-12 months difference that it causes visible problems.
    If it was on pay-per-view or out on DVD then that's another matter altogether. Like movies or music you have to go out and purchase, that's different.

In anycase, just use PeerGuardian and a nonstandard set of ports.

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I supposed there are ways to get around detection, use an annoymous proxy, VPN on top, and non standard ports. But there will be ways for them to find you. I do disagree that we aren't allowed to downlaod TV shows, imo its no different to watching it on a TV monitor, or a computer monitor.

However I do frown up illegal game downloading, game makers work hard to create games, and if we want more games in the future, we need to fund game makers by buying their games now!

Although this might not scare you, I think it will scare some.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Some but not enough. Untill someone actually gets that lawsuit through the door, most are going to ignore the small number of lawsuits in favour of free media.

10. r00t69

r00t69 What's a Dremel?

TV Shows is about the only thing I use P2P for now. I downloaded Series 1 of 24 a couple of months ago, thought it was so good I went out and bought all 4 series.

Wait isn't that an argument for P2P....oh no we can't have that :naughty:

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

We also aren't allowed to talk about illegal acts in the way you did. I'd edit that first sentence pronto.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But, Series 1 of 24 has been out on DVD for ages. You can even rent series stuff from places like blockbuster. There's no excuse for it but I spose, without p2p you wouldnt have bought ALL the series so was it really so bad??

WW - same as downloading movies or music, where you actually have to go out and purchase a game in the same way, downloading it doesnt make it any better. Although, the in-ability to take a game/music/movie back if you dont like it does stop a lot of people buying things, but at least with games you can download the demo.

13. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Not quake 4.

14. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

I have mixed feeling on the subject. Movie, music, game i agree an it shouldn't be downloaded. But maybe they should have movies release using Bit torrent and have downloadable iso image of a movie that you pay for. That would be the way i think. I know i when to the store and they were sold of a movie i wanted to buy. With a download service that a movie would never be sold out.

15. koufontinas

koufontinas What's a Dremel?

When the rapper who's music I download has a couple of $3m houses, I really don't mind "stealing" from them.

16. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

sometimes
    i really didnt like BF1942 or BFV, BF2 came out and everyone said it was great
    i was not convinced, no demo no way to prove me wrong
    i 'acquired' the full version, tried it out on SP a bit and liked it, so bought it
    thats money EA/dice/whoever wouldn't have got otherwise
    but then on the other side of the coin i 'acquired' moh:pa and thought it was absolutely dire, thats money they lost
    incentive to actually make good games perhaps? :p

17. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

oooooo *runs home ready to kick the server down pull the drives and jump over the back wall*

18. kiljoi

This is getting so crazy. I think they're (the record companies, etc.) getting closer to making piracy such a hassle that it's not really worth it anymore. Speaking as someone who used to do a fair bit of it, the only thing I ever use BT for now is getting my fansubbed anime.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Actually, everyone pretending to not knowing about the risks he/she takes by downloading illegal stuff with BT lies. That's a fact.
    But who really cares about that? Noone except the ones being sued and the ones taking the damage/lose the money.
    I mean, you won't make FTP's pay-per-download, even though some do try (FileShack.com ... just an example). But there are and will be FTP's boards taking their server, throwing it into some cellar in a country with softer copyright-protective-laws and be happy.

eDonkey'll become a pay-per-download-client, well, I don't care as I don't use it.
    WinMX has been murdered, well, I don't care as I don't use it.
    But there are several other programs/protocols/etc. just waitin' to hit mainstream. This won't be all over by just 'destroying' BT (btw it has not been killed by blowing away Suprnova.org . So it won't be killed now.

20. kiljoi

God, I miss Suprnova.
    :waah:

Tags: Add Tags