1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrading my system, budget £200.00

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modsbywoz, 7 Feb 2013.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I am looking to upgrade my current system to last me another 12 months to give me enough time to save up several things.

Current PC:
    Intel i5 750 @ 3.8 Ghz ( Thanks CustomPC )
    4GB Ram (1600Mhz Dominator )
    2 x Optical Drives ( DVD-RW )
    3 x HDD ( 2 x 500 GB Raid 0 & 1 x 1TB Samsung F3 )
    Screen: Dell U2208WMFi
    GPU: ATi (AMD) Radeon HD 4830 ( 512mb )
    PSU: Corsair 550 Watt

It's proving a little slow at the moment and I want to give it a small boost enough to tie me over until next year when I will be able to afford a new PC + extras.

What would make the biggest difference to my machine for £200.00 ? Would it be worth splitting the £200.00 over several different items? New GPU/RAM, GPU/SSD ?

I'm not one to shy away from 2nd hand items from the marketplace so those prices can be taken into account.

2. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Double your ram to 8gb and get an SSD.

Should put the spring back into it's step :)

Or

A new GPU and double the ram.

Sent from my GT-I9100

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I would probably look at something like a 7870 and a 64gb SSD as a boot drive for that budget. There is a 7870 in the market place now going for £160 and a 64GB SSD is about £50 new so it's about on budget and you will see a huge difference.

I don't think you will see any real gain in performance by adding more RAM at all really.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Depends on what you're doing with your PC really. With that GPU however I assume that you're not that much into gaming, so a SSD and more RAM will give you the biggest boost in performance, allthough more RAM will only show improvement, if you're using your rig for some photo or video-editing.

A 64GB SSD and a HD7850 are possibly the better option.

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Don't bother with RAM, nowhere near worth it compared to what an SSD will do. Although it is really cheap so if you can safely fit it in, do so but don't go out of your way for it.

I'd suggest a graphics card, but it's probably worth saving the major money till your new rig. An SSD bought now can be moved over to the new rig and still be well worth it.

It depends what you mean by slow, do you mean framerates? If you want framerates only a new graphics card will provide that. However if you just want some snappiness, instant loading programs and games, and much faster boot times then an SSD will be what you want. RAM upgrade is not essential, and you will only see the differences if you regularly get up to like 3.5GB in use (or more), which doesn't happen for most people. It happens with me when I run a virtual machine and a minimized game and web browser etc all at once.

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

If your main concern is games just dump a 7950 in there and be done with it.

If it is more a system snappiness you are wanting a ssd and a 7850 or 7870 would be a decent shout.

Either way any new gpu will slaughter the old 4830.

7. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I was toying with the idea for a 560/560Ti as the most graphically intense game I have is Bad Company 2.

Then seeing what SSD I could get with the remaining monies. Though, the GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard in my rid only has SATA2 connections.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Doesn't matter, if your mainboard only has SATA II. You can still connect a SATA III SSD to it and have a huge boost in loading-times and snappiness of the system.

9. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Okay, time to source a GTX560ti/570 and a suitable SSD..

Thanks guys!

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Don't go for the 560ti. Look for a HD7850/7870.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1 to the suggestions so far, although I'd genuinely consider more ram, I often go over 4gb usage, and an in fact consdering upgrading to 16gb.

In the end it depends how you use your pc though :)

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder