1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career advice

Discussion in 'Serious' started by David164v8, 18 Aug 2014.

1. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

After my final GCSE results on Thursday, I'll be choosing whatever subjects I want to do at AS level. Which means that whatever I pick then will limit what course I choose at University if I go that route.

The problem is that I have absolutely no idea what I want to do for a living. I was thinking of picking Biology, Chemistry, Physics along with English Literature so I don't restrict myself to anything just yet.

So in this thread it would be helpful if everyone could post their job, what they do in it and how they got there. I wouldn't be asking but its very hard to figure out what a job actually involves, when prospects.ac.uk describes being a Systems developer for example as

"Systems developers maintain, audit and improve organisational support systems by working on the internal operations of computers, using existing systems or incorporating new technologies to meet particular needs, often as advised by a systems analyst or architect. They test both hard and software systems, and diagnose and resolve system faults."

What does that even mean? Descriptions like that are why I thought it would be a good idea to ask people who can honestly give me a real idea of what a job will be like.

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

A Levels: Maths, Physics, Electronics; AS of Geography
    Degree: Started doing Electronic Engineering but switched to Computer Science
    Job: Own a web development company

I did what I needed to get into Uni for EE. I ended up changing to what I enjoyed more, and thus do what I enjoy today.

If in doubt - do what you enjoy. I'm in my late 20s and I'm still not convinced what I'm doing now is what I'll do forever. Honestly, don't worry too hard about it, just don't get talked into doing anything you DON'T want to do - I very rarely if ever hear of stories where people didn't do something because they didn't like it and ended up liking it later on.

Even so, at such an early stage in your life, a "wrong" decision now really isn't the end of the world, it's just something that changes your path a bit. In fact I'd be inclined to say that "wrong" is the incorrect word to use.

There are some specific degrees, mostly scientific, that require specific A-Levels, of note are Medicine and Engineering. It's pretty easy to find out what you need for those, and those don't tend to be very forgiving if you miss something (a friend of mine missed something crucial for medicine due to poor advice, and ended up having to do two degrees).

With what you are thinking of now, I doubt you'll get into anything serious with Physics or Engineering - you'll need Maths.

David164v8 likes this.
  3. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too fond of maths, so I'll definitely be avoiding it next year. I have thought of computer science, and I could do it with my current choices.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would aim towards things you enjoy, if you don't enjoy it you'll struggle to carry it forward.

I'm about to go into my final year of a MEng in Electronic and Computer Systems Engineering (a slight mixture of EEE and CS), still not really sure what I want to do, but I'm not too worried.

David164v8 likes this.
  5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

GCSE: A*A*AAAAAAAAB
    A Levels: English Lit, History, ICT, Gen Studies (AABA)
    Degree: 2/3 of an Architecture BSc, BA(Hons) in Photography, PgC Clinical Photography & now in my final year MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery - the primary medical qualification in the UK)
    Job: Final year medical student / locum clinical photographer

So, my path through academia has been...meandering (as predicted by my sixth form tutor with a high degree of accuracy). I was in the same situation - I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I picked humanities A Levels, and at the end of it started studying architecture at Cardiff. Simply put, it wasn't my thing, and I transferred out of the course at the end of second year to study photography at University of the Arts, London (Camberwell) as I had gotten seriously in to it whilst at Cardiff and built up a portfolio.

I completed that degree, enjoying it, but realising that fine art photography isn't really a career. I did some photojournalism on the side, but equally that career is going down the pan. However, through family I had found out about clinical photography and landed a two year training post at Oxford with the NHS. During the two years I did a Postgraduate Certification and gained my professional registration that I maintain to this day, and I enjoyed the job on the whole. However, I came to realise that I am not suited to an office job - I got the most out of clinical contact and being able to challenge myself on a regular basis.

So, being the restless soul that I am, I began looking back at education. I fancied a punt at going to medical school, did about six months of research in to graduate entry and decided to give it a go. Whilst I was doing that I also applied (and got) a full time clinical photography job. A year later I had passed the medical school entry exams with flying colours (well, you need to for graduate entry, application ratios are roughly 1:15-20) and ditched the job and moved back to London.

Since being here, I've realised that this is what I wanted to do all along. I get mental exercise on a daily basis and I'm doing something productive. The diagnostic puzzle is possibly the best thing in the world, and the buzz you get from getting it right is awesome - and it combines with the very real fact that you're helping somebody in front of you.

I guess my point is that you need to be flexible. If I was back in school, I would have probably taken at least one science through to A2 (Biology for me). Your A Level choices look good - as long as they're also the subjects you feel you will get your best grades in. I would heartily recommend taking English Literature to the full A2 rather than AS as you don't want to be a one-trick pony (i.e.: all sciences), but ultimately remember that you can always a) change degrees b) do a second/third one c) do postgraduate qualifications. Degrees are there to prove you can work at that level, many are not strictly vocational (well, medicine is an exception, and there are a few others).

David164v8 likes this.
  6. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Physics without maths doesn't really lead anywhere (e.g. physics and engineering) in term of entry requirement aside from being an extra grade.
    The same applies for computing. It is a maths heavy theoretical subject at the better universities. A-level maths is required for entry.
    Equally with only one humanity your'll struggle getting into humanity courses.
    It'll be worthwhile ordering a couple of university prospectus and flicking through the course and their requirements. See what catches your eye.

How the hell did you fund all that. Perpetual studenthood doesn't sound to bad.

David164v8 likes this.
  7. asura

asura jack of all trades

I'm the bad example you don't want to follow...

Wanted to be an architect from age 11, didn't let it force my education too much we do did two batches of "highers" in Scotland (almost equivalent to A-levels) in my first run I took and achieved English F, Maths F, Art C, Physics C, Graphic Communications B.

Not great, I was never the most studious student at that stage and was told I needed a pass in both Maths and English to make it onto an architecture course and an extra B would be nice... English F, Maths C, Technical Studies B, Chemistry B(?) and they took me anyway...

Came out the sausage machine a few years later having graduated BSc (Hons) MArch and promptly settled down to being a jeweller. I still draw houses.

David164v8 likes this.
  8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

david its about practical application, I was close to being ejected from my job even thou I was a 99% fit because two directors had talk about me, and one said to the other, yes but he is effective and that was all that needed to be said, remember this statement..

Be effective, if it takes you to lose 3 years of your life in your work career as you go, do it!
    If you have to stay up for 24 hours to complete a task do it, if some one is stupid and cant figure some thing out but you can do it and then make them feel comfortable about the fact they did not understand it.

Please women in the work place what ever you do! Help doing tasks that are not your own, enjoy what you do and remember all of life is a stage and we each have a part, that is for darn sure and be ready to see people that will blow your mind away, amazing people that you just cant understand how can some one be so awesome and far reaching in mentality and maturity and every thing.

Remember that work comes first and money is secondary not the other way around, if you work hard enough for long enough you will get what ever it is that you want, but be sure in what you want, if you want a 125k house a wife and a kitten be sure in that and work for it, if you want to remain a bacholer be clear about that to.

Subjects like ART, criminal psychology .. film and design........ these are going to leave a DEBT in your bank balance and no job.

Practical application, if you don't want to be in technology.... building architect, multiday educated and trained handy man of electrical qualification, plumper certified... heat and ventilation not just worker but designer of installations if that's the level you want to do.

Every ones got to earn Monday and pay for rent, so smash it up... go the extra.. some one needs phone support and is expecting miniminal service give them 10 minutes not 5 and over do it, some one cant figure some thing out on a web page explain to them the way the site was designed and what tools where used as they successfully navigate thanks to you and you close the ticket... see

Don't just settle for level best, even if the money is not there at the time, it does not matter.

You are of the age now which is a double edged sword, you are meant to know about Google, and every bit of software that can be downloaded as trial if required like Auto cad, or 3d studio max or unity 3d, or what ever it is.

The profit in the work place today is to be had by extreme knowledge, to be able type at 80 words per minute and go to the post office once a day and post a letter is yesterday, you have to be able to multitask if required and remain sane, when you get up into your mid 30s its not as easy to multi task, sure you can do it but it will piss you off because you want to do one thing properly with care because by your mid 30s the only reason your still even there is that you do care about things.

IT certs, programming, cisco ccna, ccnp, ccie.. you can even forget about a degree and aim straight for thous, although that is not recommended.

Team work = no1, helping people, honesty, getting goals and targets completed, smashing things up properly so no one can say any thing, over working things putting in more energy than is sane, these are the kinds of things that will raise you above people eating hamburgers at their desk and complaining about some thing or another, always there will be some one complaining or talking sht.

People generally waste time in the work place?
    Focus, the ability to focus and not be distracted from a goal and preservation of your merit is important.

Its not about the money its about your own pride and conduct and also if you ever stop and have to think back about some thing there is a very thin line about what you would have done and you can instantly think even if you have forgotten, ok I was in this situation what would I have done and the choice you make remembering about some thing would be the same.

There are people that are fanatical about work (most?), about every thing being perfect and if you fit in under such a person you can help them and they in turn can help you in routine and the on-going dependency and responsibilities you can complete.

There are things that ONLY YOU can do, in the way you do them,

You can answer the phone and speak to some one and instantly that person will like you, the way you are dealing with them and allow Business to function in what ever that is, for some one else even maybe me the call may not go so well and the call would take longer or be arduous.

If I was under 20 again and I could say back to my pre 20 years old self I would say.

-Communication.
    - Learn 3 languages, pick what ever the heck you want but spend 15 minutes a day learning some thing and Chinese would be a nice start.

-Reading
    -Reading books is a human pleasure and also a necessity of a sane man, the ablity to focus on the page of a good book and to invest, yes invest in ones self or be it even for greater wisedom of us all, READ, read books!

-Computers are important but respect them and use them wisely to further my ablitys to use them, that is you do not want to be 30 years old and not even know C or javascript, powershell,

Today is the day of the internet end of story, if your young and even the least bit motivated by IT you have to jump on the bang wagon no? Its a no brainer, there are a million other people that wont gravitated to IT which is fine but if your into computers find out what you like about them, do you want to be able to secure them? do you want to know how to produce 3d graphics and 3d sound with beautyfull code, do you want to know how to code, do you want to be a network optimizer with wireshark troubleshooting database storage san networks,...

there is a lot going on, on the IPv4 networks and a mastery of that would be benifiical to be able to say I know IPv4, how DNS handshakes, how to install Linux and nmap etc. do you want to work for government installations ?

You can do what ever you like, BUT you have to pick some thing, isn't it, you have to MAN up boy child little youth lol.

Go and kill it, pick some thing and be the best at it, I will send you £25 via paypal to get started not an issue at all mate. LOL :)
    :thumb:

David164v8 likes this.
  9. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I'd think I'm a pretty good example of what you don't want to do with you're life, My GCSE's were poor; 9c's and 1 b.

I then went to sixth form, because I didn't really know what I wanted to do, did Business studies, IT, Govornment and politics, and R.E. dropped out after 6 months to start an IT apprenticeship.

The apprenticeship never came to fruition, so I spent 9 months trying to look for a job and sitting around getting depressed.

Started a Level 3 extended BTEC in IT (which I finished this July) I spent my time there dossing around and having a good time, but I think my results are going to be terrible.

All that being said, I am now working in IT. I'm at a very low grade, but it's something that'll get me experience and hopefully I can move up in a year or so.
    Is it what I want to do with my life? Not sure, but it's better than nowt.

David164v8 likes this.
  10. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

GCSE: BBBBCCC
    AS Levels: None
    A Levels: None
    Degree: None
    National Diploma: Motorsport Engineering (Pass)

What I'm doing: Software test analyst for British Gas.

I never knew what I wanted to do and never wanted to go to university so I never pushed myself in a particular direction. I did various odd jobs after leaving college. The one thing college did teach me was I knew I didn't want to work on cars for a living. As a hobby it's great but I'd hate to do it for a living.

At that point I fell into games testing and from there that lead me down the IT route and it's one I've followed ever since. I found the industry I wanted to work in completely by accident.

I got my current job after doing a 2 year apprenticeship programme. I gained a heap of relevant qualifications while doing the programme and did a load of training courses which have all proved to be extremely valuable.

You could say I've delayed my career by nearly a decade through indecision and in many ways I'd agree with you but at the time it was the right decision. I'm pretty certain it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm working towards my Business Analysis qualifications at the moment in my spare time.

I agree with others. Study what you enjoy but try and pick subjects that compliment one another. Your at work for a large chunk of your life. You might as well try and do something you find interesting and enjoyable. Don't do it for the money. Do it because you love doing it. That's the only way I've ever managed to make myself really happy and content.

My one regret? Not doing the plumbing apprenticeship I was going to do originally.

David164v8 likes this.
  11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Right place at the right time. My architecture partial degree was at the old old fee rate of £1,150 a year. Photography was at the then-new £3,350. Medicine I was incredibly lucky to be the last year on the £3,350 fee system, and medicine is also the only exception to the rule on being allowed access to student finance as a second degree. I also get a rather generous NHS bursary.

12. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Great advice. Its reassuring that I'm not stuck to one particular degree even when I'm in University. Medicine has been something I've been thinking of, I think I'll keep my options open for that.
    Good catch, now that I think about it more I probably don't need physics at all. I'm decent enough at it, but I only really enjoy the less maths heavy parts. I was keeping it on for the possibility of computer science, although I've tried beginner programming courses before and didn't find it fun.

Again its good to know that I can switch courses/jobs if I'm not enjoying myself.
    Thanks, no need for the £25 though :p Good point about the languages, at the moment I only have a mediocre grasp of French. I'll try and learn some German over the next few months.

Do you like working in IT? I'm still considering it but I'm worried there's a difference between enjoying meddling with PC's in your spare time and doing it for a living.
    Thank you. I think I will now pick history instead of physics at A-level, as that was probably the subject that I enjoyed most at GCSE.

So depending on my results on Thursday, here's what I should be picking. Biology, Chemistry, History and English Literature. Leaves me open to medicine and humanities courses, and history should be a good bit more fun than physics.

Does anyone know of any jobs these subjects could lead to that involve travelling?

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

For medicine, you'll be wanting to take Bio and Chem to the full A2, keeping either History or English Lit alongside. Typical offers are AAAb or AAAc, and you need to meet them otherwise they'll simply hand your pace to somebody who did meet the grades. Throw General Studies in for a laugh as well - I found out I was sitting the GS exams two days before hand and ended up with 600/600 and a top candidate award for zero effort beyond turning up for an exam.

Medicine does also require you to undertake work experience prior to interviews, and ideally prior to submitting your UCAS form. In other words, get on it. Medicine is not something you apply to off the bat - it's an earlier application date (with the Oxbridge ones) and you need to plan it very very carefully. I do a lot of work with my university's student recruitment and widening participation teams, so if you need advice just drop me a PM. (This week I'm helping to run a summer school with Year 12 students).

As for travelling, definitely. Medical students do electives, which are generally abroad, for 6-8 weeks in fourth or final year. Once you're qualified your degree is recognised all over the world and you can go work outside the UK - I know plenty of doctors who are now in Aus/NZ for a few years.

14. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I would have to say is not to worry about it too much yet. I'm 31 and I still can't decide what I want to with my life. I went to Uni to satisfy my parents but TBH my degree has sat in my wardrobe ever since ive received it.

From my twenties i basically worked my way up in Retail and became store manager of large Fashion companies however the dark side to working in such environments are the hours & the lack of home life. Its all fine for now but I need to look down the line and when I wish to settle down it will become hard.

I wish I took the vocational route, I think now I would like to become an electrician but time is against me as well as cost. But as for you take a look at what would be the most rewarding and longterm.

Ive spent the last two years traveling and gave up my career and sold all my possessions off to fulfill what I miss out on in my twenties, make sure you take advantage of your time! Only now I can say that ive spent time on myself and experienced thing/places which most people only dream of.

David164v8 likes this.
  15. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Short answer is yes.
    I enjoy the people I work with, and the fact that we really don't have that much to do. I probably spend 8 of my 38 hours a week actually working, the rest is browsing the web and chatting to colleagues.
    I do enjoy the problem solving that we do, taking someone that's angry about their PC not working to being happy that it is working is good fun as well.
    The other big advantage of this particular company is that it's literally 2 mins walk from my house.
    It's a lot more fun than my other option, which was to stay working at a 'Well known fast food' establishment.
    I don't see myself here for the long run though. Give it a year, and I'll probably have moved on, somewhere with a bit more progression.

16. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Alright, just got my results and I think I made up my mind. I got 7A and 3A* overall, importantly for the subjects I'm picking next year

Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - A*
    History - A*

It would have preferred to take English Literature instead of Physics, but due to how things were timetabled it couldn't work.

I have some medicine/IT firm work experience sorted for Halloween, so hopefully that'll help me make up my mind for the future.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll work my way through this thread and +rep everyone.

17. shah

shah Minimodder

I will second whatever rainbowbridge has advised. I will also stress on learning a few different languages. Madarin Chinese, French and Spanish to name a few. As some said Physics own its own is no good and if you can mix maths into it then it becomes very powerful and opens almost all the doors at university.
    Good luck and all the best.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

I'll say one thing about IT be careful what path you want to head into it. Software side which is what most college IT courses cover is useful for admin style jobs. If you want to do the technical side your better finding an apprenticeship for it.

Got a few friends in the software side and they are bored as the work is very repetitive. I work on the technical side and its a different challenge every day and that's what I need. Doing the same thing every day is not for everyone.

Grades are not that relivent you won't even be asked for them once you have had a job or two.

19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I agree with this - I work on the technical side, experience out weighs most things in this arena, except some professional certs, which can still (in my opinion) be trumped with experience.

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Congratulations one some clearly hard won results. Good luck with the work experience in a few months as well - remember, the universities are interested in what you get out of it, and how it helped your decisions, than the nuts and bolts of what you actually did.