1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd gpu error

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by decido, 29 Apr 2009.

1. decido

decido What's a Dremel?

hey guys just fitted my 2nd gpu to my new rig and tried a few different guides on various forums but all i get is unstable machine error in the log
    both cards are working and both have monitors attached as im running vista 64 its a 260 paired with a 9600 GSO
    any ideas why its not working or know of a guild that shows a way that does work

thanks sorry for asking a noob question :blush:

2. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

Firstly i think the 9600gso will slow the producing of the 260 down, i think it is something to do with the cards having different amounts of shaders. Still we will see about that after we have got it up and running.

Do you have the display settings set to display/extended across both monitors?

3. decido

decido What's a Dremel?

wow fast reply :)
    yea its extended across to it and its showing the desktop on it
    really only got a 9600 cause it was so cheap and i wanted to boost my folding

4. cgcox1

Do you have SLI turned off?

5. decido

decido What's a Dremel?

think so but if im honest i cant find any option to even turn it on in nvidia control panel never tried more than one card before im at a loss how to work most of it :(

6. cgcox1

Go into the Nvidia control panel. Select 'Set multi-gpu and PhysX configuration. The option should be in there. I think the option is in there even if you only one graphics card, but is 'greyed out', and the physx option should be there.

What driver version are you using?

7. decido

decido What's a Dremel?

no sli option in there tho its an sli mobo according to the box(msi p7n sli platinum)
    its the latest driver from thier site 182.50

8. cgcox1

Did you connect the SLI cable to link the two cards?

Well lets presume SLI is off then. Which is how it should be for dual folding anyway.

Did you use the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 flags?

You should have something like this for each of the console start.bat's or what ever you called them.

GPU Console 1

Folding@home-Win32-GPU.exe -gpu 0 -local -forceasm -advmethods -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -verbosity 9

GPU Console 2

Folding@home-Win32-GPU.exe -gpu 1 -local -forceasm -advmethods -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -verbosity 9

9. decido

decido What's a Dremel?

no cable
    yea was trying the flags but with out the "-forceasm - advmethods -forcegpu nividia_g80 " part
    will need to wait till tomorrow to try it realised the fan on the p600 isn't turning and it rocketed up to 110C (this was why i got it cheap tho new one on its way)
    thanks for all the help so far tho :D glad to see the new cpc forum is as helpfull as old one

10. cgcox1

It probably would EUE at 110c, so that could be your problem there.

11. decido

decido What's a Dremel?

na it was fine for a while the fan is bit intermitant was watching the temps till i started forum hopping might be tho

12. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

You can get rid of -local and -forceasm.

-local no longer does anything, and is only not-rejected by the client for compatibility reasons.
    -forceasm has no meaning for gpu clients as they don't use assembly optimisations anyway.

13. decido

decido What's a Dremel?

changed the targets and put a case fan next to the card still getting the unstable machine error on it but the 260 folds away quite happily :S

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Different generations of cards won't play together.

15. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Bit too much of a generalisation. Earlier generations of cards don't play nice with the 200 series cards. (Excepting GTS250 which isn't a 200 series in anything other than name - for all intents and purposes a G92 9800GTX+). Then consider number of shaders on the card. Same number (or multiplier of) is best.

16. decido

decido What's a Dremel?

oh well i'll just repair the fan and sell it on then

17. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Sorry to ressurect this thread, I have a 250GTS folding happily away. My friend is sending me his old 8800GT. I was hoping to slot it into the same rig as the 250GTS. Will they be compatible together?