1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Green Machine

Discussion in 'Modding' started by blueglowtech, 7 May 2011.

1. blueglowtech

blueglowtech What's a Dremel?

Hey all - I'm new to the forums, so let me know if this is in the wrong section/prefix/etc...

I've been lurking for a couple days trying to find an answer to a quick question I had about a scratch build I'm working on. The short and dirty is that it's a re-cased, net-top class (i.e. no 5.25" bay). But since it has one of the newer Atom processors and will only have 1 5400 RPM drive in it, this thing is barely sipping power - thus, the "green" machine.

I want the whole case to give off a soft greenish glow (whole thing is acrylic), and I've got the layout planned so the hard drive is hidden under the mobo. The idea is for the top piece to have a leaf masked into it, and all other interior surfaces be frosted with that krylon spray frosting.

My question, then, is about the best way to illuminate it. I have a couple green LCD's that I was going to use, but I'm confused about how to illuminate the acrylic from the side. I doubt the frosting is going to diffuse the light enough to disguise two point-source LCD's. I was thinking about trying to glue up (well, weld-on up) a block of frosted acrylic about an inch cubed and insert the LCD's up into that to act as a diffuser. Then spread maybe 3-4 of these throughout the case...

What are your thoughts?