1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard warns of Battle.net breach, data theft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Aug 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

No one is immune apparently. Would be nice to know when this occurred or is this information available on their website?

Seems like they acted quickly with information though, guess they learnt from the Sony et al debacle..

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Breach was detected on the 4th, public announcement was made late last night (9th.)

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

If I play on uk servers, not the north american ones, I presume this doesn't affect me.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

emails from EU servers apparantly

Last edited: 10 Aug 2012
  6. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

So I should change my password :/

7. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Would have been nice reading this from Blizzard , but no as usual the whole world knows before blizzard will get round to letting its users know , utter CRAP Blizzard

Many thanks Bit Tech :)

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

9. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Yeah so i see , but something as important as this , an email letting us know should have been sent.....

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

do you play on US servers then?

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Classy. They suggest that customers hand them more money to secure their accounts because they aren't doing it well enough themselves.

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Yep, much better that they don't mention anything that might increase the security of people's accounts. Especially when their suggestion is an authenticator which i'm sure is a massive cash-cow for them....

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

$6.50 I believe for one authenticator, probably $0.50 a pop from China to make. Absolute scam if you ask me, ought to be included with each copy of games that use Battle.net or provided for free for each account holder who purchased a copy before they were included.

For how often they're suggested by Blizzard as the best way to secure one's account it's a joke to have to buy one separately.

14. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

And I suppose it costs Blizzard nothing to ship them either to themselves or to customers? And if authenticators are a scam to make money why would they provide a mobile authenticator for free?

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

hand over more money?

HUH?

the authenticator is FREE

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Shipping in bulk makes the shipping cost per authenticator extremely low, you can fit thousands in a single conex box. Also, shipping to customers is a non-issue if you include one with the game. Handing them out free to existing customers is just a courtesy to their loyal paying customers, somehow I think Blizzard can handle the related costs.

The free mobile authenticator is a nice feature, there's some customer courtesy, but not everyone will have that option. The basic authenticator feature, the physical device, is still a hauntingly Activision-y separate cost to their games which are already top-dollar priced.

EDIT: Harlequin, check Blizzard's store. It's $6.50.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Sloth you can get 2 FREE versions of the authenticator allready

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

If you have a smartphone there is a FREE authenticator ap for that.

At the end of the day, it turns out very little is unhackable and there are always going to be ways to circumvent security precautions if you are clever enough, which alot of people are! Blizzard could not have the authenticator system if you prefer...

The best way to secure your bike is with a lock but very few come with one. The best way to secure your laptop is with one of those things that attaches it to stuff, but very few come with one. etcetera.

edit: and also, why shouldnt they make money on something? The initial reason that they started with authenticators is because people were too lax with their own system security and were getting passwords stolen, and then accounts hacked. Blizzard then had to spend ridiculous amounts of money on staffing getting it sorted, which is when authenticators were introduced. Why should blizzard give something out for free when the person mostly responsible for an unsecured account is the user themself?

Last edited: 11 Aug 2012
  19. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

for FFS its only $6.50

20. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

But it isn't in a Steam sale!