1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Dr. Who Finale

Discussion in 'General' started by Stuey, 3 Jan 2010.

1. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I searched but couldn't find any existing thread on the matter.

Did anyone else watch the Dr Who season finale - The End of Time I and II?

WORST FINALE EVER!

I really couldn't stand how the Doctor turned into a whiney coward almost obsessed with his pending death. That, and the plot was near total garbage. They also didn't show what happened to the Master after he attached the time lord leader, nor did they explain who the woman time lord was. The Doctor's mother?

2. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Overall i quite enjoyed, but now you mention it..

who was that woman? They totally forgot to mention her in the end. The whole, 1 open 1 locked door thing bugged me too. I didn't understand the whole 'i dont want to die' whine either

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I quite enjoyed it. :thumb: A bit whiny. The other Drs. just changed from one frame to the next.

The prophecy says two sons of Gallifrey would be locked in combat for all of eternity. The Master and Rassilon?

The woman was a new element to me also.

john

4. Stuey

They showed that she was a timelord that voted against the "final plan" but never gave her an identity. As for the locked door thing, that more or less ensured that a technician was always operating the nuclear power/core/whatever thingie. I think it was described in a sentence or so during the 1st part.

My wife was expecting a sad ending. Instead, we were just waiting for the darned show to just end! There was also one or two spots where the CGI seemed to be really flakey, like a grass pasture as the ship flew over it.

5. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

It was a interesting finale though best watched together, could have done more with the time lords, though will the new doctor be able to fill D.T shoes.

6. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Really wasn't impressed, the plot seemed thin and a bit convoluted. By the end I just wanted it to end, all the going back and seeing ex companions etc seemed like the BBC saying "Ohhhh look how many spin-offs we've made! Aren't we cool?!"

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I didn't think it was too bad tbh. I am not looking forward to a new doctor - Tennant was awsum. Also, *heart* Timothy Dalton as master president timelord! On the topic of BBC telly... anybody seen the new day of the Triffids miniseries? I have it sitting on my DVR ready to watch. The preview clips look alright!

8. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I thought it was OK - I thought it was a nice touch him seeing all the previous companions before regenerating. It was almost like some one struggling to hang on to see their family one last time before passing away.

I didn't like the famous RTD reset button - why go to all the trouble of bringing the time-lords back, only to wipe the slate clean again? Bah.

Loved Tim Dalton as Rassillon - I pondered if that was who he was from the moment I first saw him. Much to the annoyance of MrsGoo - "Rassi-who?" :)

The woman that kept appearing to Wilf, and was revealed to be a time-lord in the final scenes was the Doctor's mother, apparently. I was hoping it was going to be the Rani or Romana TBH.

I also thought that the revelation that the Weeping Angels are actually ex-timelords being punished / exiled was quite cool, and will tie in nicely as they're showing up again next season.

As for the new guy - I need to see more of him, but so far so good. I think he's going to be quirky enough to pull it off. And he looked good in the trailer for the new series:

GERONIMO! :D

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

i enjoyed it. And how can it fail? It has Eddie Izzard in it. ;)

10. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

The finale made me happy as I never again have to watch an RTD episode again, and it was kind of nice of him to put possibly his worst writing to date out as the finale because now even if Moffat doesn't knock it out of the park from the very beginning (and judging by the first trailer it looks like he might) it will be seen as visionary genius in comparison.

As for Day Of The Triffids it was dull but Eddie Izzard was superb.

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

This, on every point.

I found the finale very camp, at a complete contrast to the Moffat written episodes.

Roll on next season!

12. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I'd agree that the finale was disappointing. I actually like the look of the next series, and frankly with the new companion (and the loss of Catherine Tate) there's no way it could be worse than the last series.

13. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Having watched it initially with my brain turned out if was fairly entertaining but as soon as turned brain back on it became clear the plot was full of more holes than a machine gunned piece of swiss cheese, jumped back and forth between various plot points with little or no explanation and seemed to be put together purely for RTD to make sure everyone knew he and DT were leaving.

14. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

agreed, crap finale imo,
    apart from stealing a scene straight out of starwars, having random green aliens and tech, the master having super powers that he could have taken over the world with and not using them until the very end, it just wasn't very compelling to watch and "surprise radiation death :O" id rather have seen him go out fighting then that not very surprising crappy cop out of a death

Thankfully with russel gone we might actually get some new enemies and plots instead of just recycling enemies from the old doctor who "you know what would be epic, if we brought back the darleks again for the 50th time after they were suppose to be completely wiped out!". (was a bit dissapointed to see the darleks in the trailer for the new doctor who tbh, they're suppose to be the most technologially advanced and evil aliens the doctor fights?, why do they all look like they can be defeated with a tin opener?!?!)

I'll also be glad to see the back off all the old companions who reappear every special like a lingering turd that won't go away no matter how much you flush it.

I also hate all the David Tenant fanboys who think he's the greatest thing to happen to dr who ever, i mean i liked him as the doctor but i prefered the corneyness that came with the previous doctor, who didn't act like he was god and get his arsed kissed by the writting and other people in the show in every scene.

Bye bye stale old doctor who, hello new plot lines and writing!

/end of rant about stagnant old doctor who

Maybe im just sour?

Last edited: 3 Jan 2010
  15. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Reading this thread makes me think i need to watch the two episodes again, seem to be loads of lil tidbits of info i completely missed!

Trailer for new series looks great!

16. Been

Been What's a Dremel?

I didn't mind the first part so much, out of all the ones RTD has done the first part was his best but I didn't enjoiy the 2nd part, it could have been much more. Shame he bottled it with his reset back to normal. The first episode had a better pace I thought, though I still think it would be better if they got rid of the big score they put through the whole episodes, let the actors act and give me some breaks.

Bring back the 6 part stories. :thumb:

Jon Pertwee died of radiation as well, you'd have thought he'd at least think of something new.

17. PedroX64

PedroX64 Better dead than Smeg!

Please bring back the scarier episodes (blink and the gas mask one). The last series was "dumbed-down" and the only good thing about the final 2 Christmas parts was that there were no evil Santa robots.

Are the statues from blink in the new series trailer? It was a really good episode, but we don't need a return.

18. Stuey

So where did the Master go after defeating the time lord leader with electric beams shot out of his hands?

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

The prophecy says 2 sons will be locked in combat for eternity. I don't think the Master defeated Rasillon. I think they are the 2 sons of Gallifrey that must fight each other for eternity.

20. Stuey

Well, maybe not "defeated" but Rasillon was brought to his knees and appeared to be powerless. If I recall, there was a scene break and then they were all just gone.