1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google TV Getting ARM Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Not interested in Google TV so not sure why this would effect me or many others. Intels profits way above forecast anyway, especially in the areas ARM, AMD were supposed to be gaining ground which was the Server market.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

This would definitely be a good thing, especially with how much more powerful ARM is becoming!

4. mike87d

mike87d What's a Dremel?

Well, the switch would mean quicker adoption of the Google TV platform among the masses which is something I support. I remember when I was first exposed to Google TV at work (DISH Network) back in September... I instantly fell in love and realized that this would be the future of TV.It's been almost 3 months since I bought mine and the simplicity of how it converges the entire internet and my DISH Network programming and DVR contents into one seamless interface amazes me. Like I said, this is the future and I think Google TV will end up being the platform everyone uses.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

When I buy a new TV in the next year or two, it'll need to be 1080HD, LED and have iPlayer.
    I couldn't care less about Google TV.

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

in a year or two the next standard of Hi-Def will be out... 1600P unless the roadmap for Blu-Ray changed as it said something like 2012.

anyhow ARM is cheaper and well its not like it has to support a full OS so it makes sense.

7. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Weren't Intel reportedly distancing themselves from Google TV recently? I guess now we know why..

8. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Atom is on borrowed time anyway.

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Profits doesn't equal market share. And ARM is just starting in the server market.

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Actual on these reports it does. Intel have put their huge increase in revenue on the server market.

11. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

Sorry, I'm a bit confused at what ARM is. Sometimes I read x86 thrown around with google tv, now nVidia are on the ARM bandwagon with tegra 2 and all.
    Is ARM another type of processor thats not compatible with x86? something in laymans terms would be wonderful.

I think it'd be great to get google TV linked with ARM though. That new Motorola Atrix with the dock thing allows for a linux sort of PC interface, but what they should include is a dock with your TV with HDMI out and then your phone will instantly become a Google TV interface.
    The dock comes with a USB port and a Mini HDMI port and a cradle and a wireless keyboard. The dock/keyboard combo could be sold as a universal google tv dock too. Neat.

Man, google should intergrate chromeOS with android. Instead of the Atrix going into linux, it should boot into something more alike to ChromeOS, and Google TV with a TV set.

So many possibilities.

12. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

I'm not really bothered about goggle tv, but assuming this is true I am glad someone is giving intel a run for there money

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

In a nutshell (feel free to correct me on this):

ARM produce designs for chips that are not compatible with x86, they're a whole different way of doing things. Typically they are used for low-power devices like smartphones.

Point of note: ARM don't actually make the chips, they just liscence out the architecture for others to manufacturer. So the likes of Samsung can manufacturer their own chips for their devices, which is much more preferable than having to buy them in from Intel.

14. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Most basic difference is that ARM is RISC and x86 is CISC. But for real details:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

Tags: Add Tags