1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft blames error for Windows 8 price drop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

The early upgrade offer was too good compared to regular pricing - I got several win8 pro upgrades for 15 pounds or so each, for the 5 pcs in my family (some without even valid win7 licences), and I was happy to pay that. It was actually the first time I've paid for windows (used pre-installed, or linux). Now I want another copy to run in a virtual machine, and I'm expected to pay 190?!? Not going to happen.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Yeah I think most wanting to upgrade did so when the offer was about. I'm sure we will see more offers in the future if it's such the disaster some are saying.

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

LOL. So MS believe a fair price for an OS upgrade is either £25 or £190. They really don't have a clue!

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

bargain-basement £44.99 price for Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Not for me, maybe if they gave me a free windows tablet with 8 installed i would go for it.
    But even if they payed me i wouldn't use it on a desktop.

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I'm sure they'll be devastated and shipping one over to you now.

7. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Still wouldn't have bought it for £45 to be honest. Good that they're honoring the purchases though!

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

45 quid was a great price tbh. And while I actually like Windows 8, there's no way I'd ever pay 190 for it. Operating systems just don't have that much value nowadays in and of themselves. For that much money, you can get a Nexus 7 that includes the necessary OS with it for free!!

9. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

10. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Shame really, I kind of regretted not upgrading my main PC when the £25 offer was available. I held off because I upgraded 2 other machines instead.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2013
  11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Damn right ;)
    Anyone want to buy my free tablet ?

12. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

I'm confused; when I checked 10 minutes ago CCL Computers were selling Win8 Pro 32 / 64 bit Upgrade discs for only £49; am I missing something?

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Several retailers are still selling Windows 8 at £49 probably because they bought the stock when it was cheap.

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

I should buy an copy I guess for later on (just I have no plans on using windows 8 at all) as I only going to be using the desktop not metro so see no reason to use windows 8 if all I am going to do is install startisback to restore the missing function

windows 8 probably the first os I have ever skipped (excluding ME)

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Their millions and billions of monies begs to differ with you on that one! ;)

16. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

General public blames Windows 8 for not purchasing Windows 8.

Got to agree £190 is quite frankly ludacris. Especially when you think of the hardware you can get for that. 8core AMD / Top 250GB SSD / 1KW+ psu / Mid-high GFX card / Premium Mobo. My nexus 4 was £50 more.

The fact that there are plenty of the pre deal priced copies floating around doesn't look good.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Your Nexus 4 was heavily subsidised. A decent smartphone costs about £300,-- to produce, £600,-- on the open market.

I think that y'all seriously underestimate what it costs to develop an OS that is reliable enough to be able to run mission-critical systems.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

A full version of MacOS X is available for $20 in the App-Store and in the near future you'll have the option of getting a USB-stick for $60.
    Ubuntu costs nothing as a download, and some $10 for a DVD in the Canonical store.

That's how much a modern OS is worth it. And Windows sure is totally overpriced.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

None of those OS' run mission-critical systems: ATM's, bank computers, hospital computers. Applications that can't crash or develop errors because they're kind of important (although real life-or-death stuff runs on very proprietary OS' that are none of the above). Moreover unlike OSX Windows has to run on any of the millions of weird and wonderful PC configurations out there, and has to set itself up with minimal user assistance because unlike, say, Linux users, most Windows users are muggles.

Another note: Linux costs nothing because of the generosity of thousands of programmers. That does not make it, or indeed any other OS, worthless. Linux is worth paying for, and some time in the future, you will have to.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2013
  20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Yes, Windows has to cope with tons of different configurations, but so does Ubuntu. For the bigger part Ubuntu runs out of the box without any problems on most systems, just like Windows.

If anything, then Microsoft should heavily lower the price of Windows and demand extra payment for service/assistance ontop of that. This way endconsumers could get the OS for little money, and those who need could purchase an additional service-plan.
    It's the better business-model imho instead of forcing everyone to pay these high prices to begin with.