1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows XP will be phased out by 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I think this is a damn good thing. Think about it for a second, Vista has bad driver and incompatibility problems. How do you solve this? By removing the old software from the market and making the companies better support their new product. From my point of view, Vista is a much better operating system, however it just suffers from being too new and Microsoft is actually doing something good to phase out XP. (MS, do good you say? :worried: )

3. quack

quack Minimodder

At least they're not withdrawing support for XP just yet. I have no desire to upgrade to Vista this year (on my main PC that is), and probably not the next either.

I have upgraded to Vista Home Premium on my HTPC however, it is so much better than XP MCE 2005.

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Thats the power microsoft has. They are making sure you buy vista now. How will this work for business users.

For example I work for the Goverment and we are only just being upgraded to Windows XP next week and reason for this??? Because Microsoft stopper supporting for NT Workstation.

Business will still be using Windows 98 if Microsoft did not stop supporting it and provided security updates. Business's are not interested in Vista YEt and will be years before they buy into it.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I work for the government as well, and they believe that IE6.0 is secure.

6. Darkangel

Darkangel What's a Dremel?

I thought it normal for them to stop selling theyre old OSs after a while. All theyve done is set a date. In a years time I imagine Vista will be sorted out virus/sp1/driver wise and everyone will be after it anyway.
    I for one, if building a new system, will be after the latest OS to go with the latest hardware.

7. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I remember hearing on a TWiT podcast awhile back that they will be still supporting updates and what not for atleast 5 years. I think ill stick with XP for a long time i still have 2000 on my laptop and my file server, i personally dont actually like Vista that much but to each his own.

8. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I think that Vista has a bright future due to its rewritten code, and that once the driver and compatibility issues are fixed (or alternatives are found) that it will eventually be seen as a turning point towards better design, even if a little bit of stability loss and some hardware upgrade costs were initially incurred.

9. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

This is a good thing.

Vista is a much better OS, and I'd much rather it be the sole focus of Microsoft.

I think XP has been developed as much as is possible, and the much touted SP3 delays will probably lead to it not even being released.

This is also a pre-cursor to the next OS from Microsoft (Vienna) which in my opinion will be released at the end of 2009. If Vista had a lower user percentage than XP at this time, they could not justify the release of Vienna and it would likely be delayed until 2012...

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I prefer my OS's to not use half of my ram while idling.

11. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Fair enough.

But for me I want the OS to reflect the modern hardware it will be installed on. Otherwise we would still be using Windows 98...

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

wafflesomd: common misconception, more use is good. That's what it's there for. Windows can use what it needs whenever it wants, but it keeps as much data in memory as possible.

Linux always has 99% RAM usage. Ask Glider.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i will buy vista as soon as i get a better machine, and i hope MS does not stop supporting XP soon.

14. Bluephoenix

RAM is there to be used, and the OS takes a back seat while running games, but takes the opportunity to run more smoothly when the RAM is open for use.

15. Robotrix

Robotrix What's a Dremel?

Then they might as well skip XP altogether and upgrade straight onto Vista. Right...?

16. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Sooo

Battlefeild 2 chugging along with 2 gigs of ram isnt the os taking up too much ram?

17. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

No because even on XP Battlefield 2 chuggs with 2Gb of RAM, it's one of the poorest written engines I've seen in some time...

18. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

God XP.... I sooooooo Hate it...
    It was fine before, but since I got my new computer.. installing XP is HELL.

I have XP SP1 CD, and it doesn't like PCI-express and doesn't like SATA.
    What does that make?!

-> Corrupt data non-stop (works like once very 10 times), until you upgrade to SP2.
    -> 16 color screen, until you pass the first set of SP1 updates. (then the video card works)
    And then well all is installed, you got to do to teh device Manager, go to the SATA controller device, and enable your HDD of read/write cache, so that your computer runs fast.

Take about 1 day and a half to setup completely (including installing all applications).
    But with Vista... heck even Vista Beta 2 public release, that I tried... 18min, and poof your printer works, and your computer has no issues.
    After using Vista RC2 for many many months... and coming back to XP, and I can tell you, you start seeing XP bugs, and get on your serious nerves.
    Also, my applications starts at least 1.5-2 times faster. (Maybe because the OS has a better resource management, and proper multi-core CPU's support)

This summer, (August) I'm going to be 100% Vista.
    If I would review Vista, I would give a 9.5/10.
    - Game ran slower (at the time) due to lack of official video card drivers.
    - No sound (at the time) due to lack of Creative X-fi drivers issue.

Computer Specs:
    - Geforce 6600 GT 128MB of RAM PCI-e (will be replaced with an Geforce 8 series)
    - 2GB of RAM 400Mhz, form Corsair
    - ASUS A8N32-SLI (Nforce 4 16xSLI)
    - Western Digital SATA-II HDD 250GB.
    - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremMusic
    - Antec TruePower 2.0 480W
    - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ S939
    - Latest system BIOS installed
    - Purchased Retail Windows XP Pro SP1

Last edited: 17 Apr 2007
  19. Bluephoenix

@goodbytes - I know what you mean, I have an XP CD with no service packs at all, and until I gave it the updates etc, it just wigs out big time.

for my CAD box vista installed in <12min with absolutely zero issues :D

20. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tags: Add Tags