1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BBC unveils finalised micro:bit microcontroller

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Did I not say it was going to be an ARM Cortex-M mbed platform device? Why yes. Yes, I did. (Basks in the warm glow of Being Right.)

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Talking to yourself Gareth?

This is very cool. Hope they sell them, would like to grab one and have a play.

4. Gareth Halfacree

I don't like to put my personal comments in the official opening post!
    As the article says, they'll be going on general sale following the October giveaway - probably early December, at a guess. 'Course, there's nothing to stop you buying an mbed right now...

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

This looks interesting, my daughter will be starting Y7 in September, so hopefully a micro:bit will be coming home to play with.
    If there's iOS [and Android] support, it will be able to connect to her ipod touch as well as home PCs.
    Waiting patiently now.

6. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I'm interested in grabbing one or more of these to play with.

Just hope some clever bod writes a user guide type book ........

7. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

Looks interesting. Anything that gets children learning to create with tech and programming is a good thing.

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So what's the prediction on likely retail price? £20 £25? Lower?

9. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Prob about right, by my rough estimate, BOM should be around 10$ mark (ex VAT).

Cant find any voltage regulator on the board, does this thing can be powered form usb?

Even more interestingly, according to wikipedia, the chip used for USB is Kinetis KL02 series, and that MCU does not have hardware USB support. So USB is done entirely in software (bit-bang), will be interesting to see if this meets USB specs.

Hope there will be an option with nRF51422 mcu (ANT compatible) or even better - nRF52832 (one could dream).