1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete [Completed] Music Box - Final Photos 14th, Feb 2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 29 Dec 2011.

1. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Music Box

This project came about when I started to think about doing time lapsed photography using a spare Webcam that I've got. Originally I was going to just use a small netbook for the computer to drive this, but then I started thinking about it some more, and of course it didn't stop at just a computer to do time lapse...

Usually when I'm working on projects outside or in the garage, I have my MP3 player hooked up to a spare set of computer speakers. This is ok, but the sound isn't the greatest, and with all the wires from the speakers, and to the MP3 player etc it was just a mess. So I thought of combining speakers and a pc with a small touch screen integrated all in one package. Then I would stream music either over the internet or from my server.

There were several design changes and ideas, and much help from the Bit-Tech community over on the Modding section of the forums. The first couple rounds of designs are in the planning thread that I started, located here: Music Box

With that, I'd also like to thank legoman and GuilleAcoustic for the help and guidance they gave me over there. I probably wouldn't have been able to get where I am as quickly as I have with out their advice and knowledge :thumb:

The Parts:
    This is the design concept in SketchUp that I came up with. It will house 2x3" speakers, 2x1.5" speakers, 7" Soundgraph touch screen, and a Mini-ITX intel atom (D525) board, 4GB OCZ RAM, and an OCZ 60GB 2.5" SSD. I'll be using a pico-psu for this as well. I've got most of the parts already (several are spare parts), just waiting on the Pico-PSU and the speakers to get delivered.

The Materials:
    This is another wood build, and I will be using 7/16" (1/2" nominal) solid oak.

Ok, now on to some pictures!

Design front view, the motherboard will be vertical on the back "wall" which will fold down/out for maintenance, and/or plugging anything in that needs it.
    [​IMG]

Back view of the case, the hole will act as a handle/feed for cables to connect to the motherboard I/O ports
    [​IMG]

I'm doing most of the cutting by hand, using a technique I learned from reading SlipprySkip's worklog Aerodyne
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gluing both pieces of the side
    [​IMG]

I think that's all the pictures I'll post for now, until I can get home to take some better pictures of more of the parts. I more done than just that, but I haven't taken many pictures of it.

Thanks for looking :thumb:

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  2. zatanna

zatanna What's a Dremel?

wow, what an amazing mod! I've daydreamed about something akin to this, so it's cool to see someone with the skillz actualizing it! plus, you're in minnesota. :thumb:

3. Mosquito

Thanks! I had thought about doing something larger scale similar to this, using a 26" monitor for a full fledged all in one solution, but settled on this... at least for now ;) This is only my 3rd adventure in wood working, so I'm still learning and honing the skills, but so far it's coming along satisfactory :).

I live in Minnesota, it's late December, and there is absolutely NO snow to go snowmobiling, might as well build a computer right? :D In fact, it was so disgustingly warm this past weekend (50F), I was working outside on the patio... GROSS!

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Nice one Mosquito. It's a great pleasure to help. I'm following it :D

5. Mosquito

Update 29, Dec 2011

Thanks, I hope I manage to pull it off well :thumb:

--

Here are some better pictures of the pieces I've already cut out and some that I've glued already:
    [​IMG]
    Top, bottom, and the two side pieces for the lower section (where the speakers are)

[​IMG]
    Two inner divider pieces for enclosing the speakers, and the back piece that the motherboard will mount on

[​IMG]
    Top and side pieces for the upper portion of the case (where the screen is)

Assembling the case to see how it looks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't drink pop, or beer, or anything else that comes in a can, so I don't have anything easily handy for a size comparison, so a tape measure and an Xbox controller will have to do :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all I've got for now guys, thanks for checking it out :thumb: :)

6. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Looks good so far man. If you came up to moorhead we could have cut all your parts on my band saws or other wood working tools. lol keep it up.

7. Mosquito

Sure, NOW you tell me :p

I may still bring a pair of boards to cut down to the right width, if you've got that capability, it may be quicker. I've only got 4 pieces left to cut

Waynio likes this.
  8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very nice project Mosquito :rock:. stars & rep

9. Mosquito

Thanks Waynio :thumb:

10. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Yeah. Give me a call or text and we can try to get it done for yah. Keep up the good work.

11. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

This is a great idea! 2 questions though.

1. What OS will you be using? Windows 7?
    2. How will you play the music?

12. Mosquito

Thanks, I'll be sure to pack the boards then :thumb:

Thanks Fuganater,
    1.) I haven't decided yet, but I was thinking Windows 7, but I may try XP as well to see if the touchscreen software works better with it. I've also got Windows 8 developer build available too, so I might throw that on there for a quick trial, since it IS supposed to be "optimized for touch enabled devices". More than likely though, it'll be 7

2.) Music will probably be played with either Windows Media Center, Media Player, XBMC, or the media players that the touch screen software came with. It would be depending on how well the touch control works with any of them. As far as where it will be coming from, streaming music from the internet, or over my wireless from my file server is what the plan was :thumb:

Fuganater likes this.
  13. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info!

14. Mosquito

Just wanted to say thanks again! Lunch was good as well as catching up. The help chopping up the boards for me was much appreciated (even if my excessive lines threw us off :p) Thanks! :thumb:

--

A small update in progress for the new year, and hopefully some more work and pictures to follow this evening. Avolla helped me out this weekend when I was up in his neck of the woods. He lent some of his time, and the use of a band saw to cut some boards down to the approximate width that I needed for the two remaining pieces. I'll be able to run them through my router table to finish them off now that they're rough cut down to size. During my small vacation this past weekend and early this week, the remaining two pending parts finally got delivered, so I may have some parts pictures, and a quick assembly of the parts to make sure everything is working correctly :thumb:

Last edited: 5 Jan 2012
  15. Mosquito

Update 10th, Jan.

Been a little while since I had an actual update.... I've gotten a bunch done, but not a huge number of pictures. I've got most of the pieces done now, just have to cut out the front for the monitor, and drill a hole for the power button. Everything else is down to attaching everything together.

[​IMG]
    cut out, and now finishing one of the two holes in the top. The other hole will be inverted right above this one

[​IMG]
    Got the holes drilled in the front for the speakers

[​IMG]
    Did some router work on the speaker front, to smooth things out a little better

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The white tabs behind the bottom front are just removable double stick tape... I used it just to take pictures. It won't be there in the finished product

[​IMG]
    2 speakers mounted

I apologize for some of these pictures, I temporarily misplaced my tripod, so some of them are a little blurry.

filing out slots for hinges on the back piece

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gluing together the bottom-top and side pieces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, I have a quick shot of all the parts assembled on a tote for testing :)
    [​IMG]

That's all I've got for now, thanks for checking it out :thumb:

16. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Puts my project to shame mate!
    Looking forward to seeing it finished!

17. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

When you wrap this up you'll have to let me hear it in action. It's looking good and I'm glad to lend my services to your build. Mod on my friend.

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Nice build there matey ! I'm looking forward to it.

19. Mosquito

Thanks! Your project includes 2 computers! And fitting it into an already predetermined space... mine was designed specifically to house these components, so I don't think it puts anything to shame :)

I can probably arrange that. It is, after all, designed to be easily portable :thumb: Thanks again!

Thanks! I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel... and this one is moving much more quickly than my other two did :D

20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That's really nice, going to be a great little system!