1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel LGA2011 CPU gets water-cooled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Nov 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

4.8ghz on that watercooling setup, makes me wonder what temp's they are getting on air when people do that speed on air, unless that is what they wanted as the safe max overclock.

Think I will be waiting for the next stepping before I decide fully if I should get one or not.

Got to say though the mod looks great and well done.

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Just realised these new CPU's are based on 32nm. Lame. So they cost a shitload and the performance isn't wonderful. I will be going with Z68 i5 2500k.

4. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Nice build, how much RAM did you stuff in it?

5. gabe777

gabe777 What's a Dremel?

Is it really worth it to get 300 MHz more than the 4.5 easily attainable on air ?

WTF.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

You would be surprised when you are looking at using it for video encoding etc where the speed help's quite abit if you are doing allot of encoding.

Not to mention water cooling when done properly look's excellent compared to a great big hoofing HSF.

I am just waiting for the 12 month warranty to run out on the pre overclocked bundle I have in my pc, before I watercool it if I have not upgraded by then simply because I want to increase the overclock which I have done but only from 4.6 to 4.8ghz on air, but with water I know I can take the chip to 5.0ghz plus as it will do it on air now but the temp's are to high for me.

Normally also watercooling is quieter than air cooling, as you can use low rpm fans on the rad's and get lower temp's as well there are benefit's to it but it does cost more.

7. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Well done paul nice build, wish I had the skills to build a proper water cooling loop for my pc I would do it in a flash if i had

8. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

What people need to be aware of is that these processors aren't worth the money just for gaming. If you're using software that can take advantage of these new cpu's and their extra cores, then fine. That's what they were made for.
    NOT gaming! Stick with the i7-2500, 2600 or 2700 K-models for gaming. You'll save money over the way more expensive E-Models. That "E" is for Enterprise, not Enthusiast. You'll save money through using a lot less electricity, (Sandy Bridge E=130 Watts vs. Sandy Bridge K=95 Watts), and also you can use air-cooling or a closed loop watercooler instead of having to invest in a full-loop watercooling system. Even if you can find adapters for present day cpu waterblocks. I looked. EK Waterblocks has them on their site but they cost a fortune for shipping to the U.S. just to get an adapter kit. Not to mention the extreme prices that E-Model motherboards cost.
    You'd do better to just wait a few more months or so for IvyBridge.

9. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Exactly. Check the benchmarks and OC results - you'll be better off with an i5 2500K or possibly an i7 2600K. For the average enthusiast applications, SB-E is not what you want. If you're looking to build a workstation for massively-threaded software, by all means. But most of the numbers I've seen, you'll get a handful of fps out of the SB-Es, at nearly double or nearly quadruple the cost (of the i5, at least)

It's a new age, people - Intel has blessed y'all with an embarrassment of riches. Just don't go for SB-E unless you need what it actually does, or you need a boost to your e-peen :p

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why disrespect the build when it has taken time and money to plan and put together. You don't know what he intends to use the system for so you cannot start bad mouthing him and his build because "it's a waste for Gaming!"

I think the build looks awesome and Coolmiester needs recognition for his excellent work he has done here. Well Done dude!

11. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

This +1000

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well I said it's a nice build etc, and was only defending the choice of cooling etc.

The best cpu for gaming is the I7 2500K as the hyperthreading on the 2600K and 2700K in some games will make it perform worse than the 2500K, as I saw when I ran a 2600K and 2500K but it's not allot of difference.

The 6 core's and faster speed will help if you have the software to utilise it but I don't think there is much available, that is cheap enough for the average person to buy.

I like the build and I like the Sandy Bridge E chip's but at the moment I cannot justify the cost of them, but maybe when the next stepping is released they will be worth it for me.

Again really nice and clean build respect to you for that.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice & tidy Paul :thumb: I still think the CPU inbetween the RAM banks looks cool, SB-E not for my kinda usage but for those who it is it's a beast :D.

14. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Watercooling isn't only done to keep stuff 'cool', it also looks awesome and you don't have to have a massive piece of metal hanging off your mobo..

15. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Saw this at i44, great build, the cable management is amongst the best I've seen. Well done that man.

J.

16. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

what is this i7 2500k people keep speaking about!?

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Lol I see what I did my mistake (slaps self in face)

The I5 2500K is what I meant.

18. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

CCL were over the moon to be showing one of Paul's creations on our stand again.

Truly amazing in person and a cut above almost all other mods I have seen, its the last 2% that makes Paul's mods seem like they were an off the shelf case and setup.

19. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

very nice system mate,well done.

20. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

nicely put together traditional mod, you could almost call it old school!

why are people talking about the failings of SB-E for gaming here? anyone can read the bit-tech review its still on the front page

Tags: Add Tags