1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve unveils its Steam Machine prototype

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Nov 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Looks more and more like they're just trying to set themselves up as another 'Alienware' type branding exercise, although with control of the OS and software delivery system, it has the potential to be a lot bigger.

3. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

The thing is going to be a monster!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Read on before you get too excited: some prototypes get a Titan, other prototypes get lower-end Nvidia boards. The majority of retail models - i.e. the only ones you're ever likely to see in the flesh, unless you're going to CES next year - will likely use on-board graphics or mini-PCIe laptop-style GPUs.

5. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

idk why people freak about the titan.... it isnt really all that great when you consider what you have to pay for it. sure if i was in the giveaway i'd hope for the titan, but if i have to actually pay for it i'm hoping for a 290/x or 780/ti

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Which begs the question..what on earth is the point in sending out such high spec prototypes in the first place?

This is Valve, I fail to see what they could learn from people using it, that they don't know already via their Steam hardware surveys.

7. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The final models will come with a wide range of options and there will be different sizes. Plus if you get a larger model like this you will be able to replace the graphics card.

8. Gareth Halfacree

That's not what that means. Sorry, pet peeve.
    Who knows. Newell already said that Steam Boxes will come in three distinct flavours: Good, Better and Best. From the sound of it, Valve's prototypes are Best while the retail models from licensed OEMs will be Good. That doesn't mean that one or more OEM won't release a Best similar to Valve's prototypes, mind - nor that Valve itself won't enter the hardware market fully and release an 'official' Steam Machine with high-end hardware like its prototypes. After all, it seems odd to spend so much effort engineering a fully-functional prototype then just leave production up to third parties...

9. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

In related news, Metro Last Light was released for Linux via Steam yesterday.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Surely valve want to put their best foot forward when making their first revelation of the steambox. Lets not forget at the moment valves primary customers are pc gamers who likely drool over hardware specs like the prototype shown.

Also valve are a software company first and foremost. Their forray into hardware is a necessity however as they they need to get the ball rolling on good input methods for couch gaming and the steamboxes themselves. Going by newells move towards linux he's clearly not one to wait around and let other companies come up with the solutions he needs.

I would imagine that if the steam boxes become well established, valve will take a step back from the hardware and let their partners continue down that road. Perhaps producing only a premium model themselves.

11. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Hmm, not all titans eh? Well if they can put together a reasonable spec quiet box or a monster spec beast box then heavily discount/subsidise it (a la x-box/playstation) I would actually be interested either way.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I cant see them wanting to get into producing their own box, they say why they made the 300 prototypes in the Verge article linked by Gareth.

13. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I want to see how it all fits together ! It looks like a mini itx board with a riser for the gpu but the cooler is what is intriguing me at the moment.

Oh well fingers crossed they send me one then I can dismantle it and have a good nosy around :)

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is there any word on when they let the lucky 300 know ?

15. rollo

rollo Modder

If they can fit a titan into that form factor and sell it onwards there will be plenty of lan enthusiasts who would jump at the chance to aquire it.

Even I would have to consider it for my own lan gaming if its portable enough and it looks like it is. This or ITX for Lan gaming what a choice to have in truth.

16. magnetobob

magnetobob What's a Dremel?

slightly of topic has any one seen any itx cases in a similar style? where you can mount the graphics card horizontal in the the case via a pci riser or extensions?

17. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek sarcasm or serious.

The difference between the Steam hardware survey data, which is a list of what people are using and the prototyping of the inter-operability of a new hardware (and software) is like the difference between those who know what they are talking about and those who spout off in online forums.:clap:

Yours in Elite Corrective Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Bingo.

PS: I've missed your "yours in <insert new phrase here> plasma" sign-offs lately, good to see them back :thumb:

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I dont think its the case that allows this, its more a case of buying a PCI-E riser card like this..
    http://www.logicsupply.com/products/pcie_101l_16
    Or a flexible PCI-E riser card that lets you orientate your card any way you like.
    http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/mattlau/product-detailLMCxkFgYCzhD/China-Flexible-PCI-Express-PCI-E-16x-Riser-Card-SLPS057-.html

The case they are using looks similar to this.
    http://www.b2b-computer-case.com/mini-itx-case/04.htm

Last edited: 5 Nov 2013
  20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I have my doubts about that. I think it is more to do with Gabe seeing how Apple's App store and Google Play are doing very well, and wants to develop its own ecosystem independent of other platforms.