1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop keyboard stopped working

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Zondorf, 7 Oct 2014.

1. Zondorf

Zondorf What's a Dremel?

So yesterday I helped a family member with his laptop after it kept getting BSOD in windows, so I swopped out the ram with extra memory that he had and while the laptop was open we decided to blow it out with air with his little compressor, I reassembled the laptop and it works now without BSOD but about half the buttons on the keyboard doesn't work, I opened up a new text document and where you would normally see the flashing " l " that shows where you will type, whenever I press one of the non responding buttons the " l " stops flashing which tells me that the button does work :confused:

On a side note, it's a rebranded mecer laptop so can't really give a lot of info on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Did you have it fully open, or just the little memory access hatch?

If it was open before, I would suggest re-opening and checking the laptop ribbon cable, it could be trapped somewhere perhaps? It can easily get crimped on something when putting it back together. Possibly reseat the ribbon connector if there is no visible damage.

3. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

Agreed, the ribbon cable isn't making a complete connection and will need to be reseated. Should be fine once this has been done. If not, make sure it is not being hampered by dust that has found its way onto the connectors - clean with rubbing alcohol if possible.