1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress the Cube [Design for stand ready!]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ianovski, 26 Aug 2013.

1. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

[​IMG]

The Cube

I hereby announce the start of a new project. Well, actually two new projects. The Cubes! The name already tells a lot about what it’s going to be. We will build two cubes, both with the idea to become perfect LAN computers. They will be very easy to bring to a LAN party because they’re only 30x30cm. The square part (in which all the hardware will be) will be placed on a stand with only one corner. The pole will make sure no cables are coming out of the square parts of the Cube but only from the bottom part. We will make USB, HDMI and etc. extensions so we don’t have to open the Cubes every time we want to connect a keyboard or whatever. All peripherals can be connected on the bottom of the stand. Of course there will be a window on the top of the case so all the hardware is visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The frames for the Cubes will be built from aluminum bars that are 1x1cm. In a later stage we can screw the panels to the frame. The frame will take care of all the weight of the hardware because the panels cannot hold any weight their selves. We’ve chosen to place the PSU as close to the stand as possible so most of the weight will be at the bottom of the cube, this way we’re able to get more stability. If in the end we find out it’s not enough we can always chose to put more weight in the bottom of the stand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The color schemes of the Cubes will be different for each Cube. Both Cubes will be painted white, both inside and outside. One Cube will be lighted with red LED’s and the other one with blue LED’s. This way we’re able to give it a more personal finishing touch. At the bottom of the stand will be the logo of the Cubes. This logo will be lit up with some more LED’s. We still have more ideas for the Cubes but those will be a surprise and you’ll be able to see them while we’re building them.

The frames and panels of the Cubes will be made in the workshop of ModWithMe. For this I would like to give a big thanks to Sander from ModWithMe. Thanks a lot for this amazing opportunity, advice and support! I would also give a big thanks to the sponsors for making this project possible! Every sponsor will get its own update with pictures and banners. For now we have a banner with the sponsors so far. If we’re able to get more sponsors, the banner will be updated. More information about sponsors will be given during the build!

Adios!

Last edited: 23 Jun 2014
  2. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

Had an idea like this in my head for quite some time. Will be exciting to follow this one then!

3. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Thank you! More (of the actual building) will come tomorrow so stay tuned!

4. Asouter

Asouter --------

Just caught this on the mWm page, subbed and watching with interest

5. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Was a good modding day guys!
    Cant wait to get working on these babies again!

6. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Thanks a lot!

Haha me neither! Soon we'll continue!

7. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

First panels and frame!

[​IMG]

Update (ModWithMe)

On friday the 23th we started with the build in the modshop of ModWithMe. After some explanation about a few tools and machines we started with the materials that were already there for us. We got a nice tour from Sander in the modshop. We put all the drawings for the CNC machine on the computer and there we went! We started on the frames ourselves when the CNC was doing its job. All the aluminum bars were already cut to size by the supplier but it was still very unclear which bar was for which part of the frame so yeah… I have to admit that I made a few mistakes haha! But well, pointed out where all the holes should come, drill them and tap them for M4 screws. The screws will be recessed into the frame to the panels should fit over it nice and tight. The panels will be fixed with nice and good looking M3 screws because they will be visible.

Here some pictures of us working! (and seeing me at work is rare! :p)

A part of all the bars for the frame, what a work… xD

[​IMG]

The, still boring, plates.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very busy CNC! It has been working all day and were more or less half way with the panels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we’re putting a part of the first frame together to see some sort of result. Everything fits very nice!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we did all this in the workshop of ModWithMe for we’re very grateful! Soon we’ll go back to finish at least the first parts of the Cubes. Also the bottom parts and the poles will be made here.

Adios!

8. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

9. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Cooler Master

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooler Master

Hereby I’d like to announce a very nice sponsors, Cooler Master! Thanks a looot to Gert from Cooler Master for these perfect and awesome products! This update is special for Cooler Master. I did my best to make beautiful pictures from the parts.

We received two PSU’s, the Silent Pro M2 1000W. We also received two coolers, the Seidon 240m which will keep out CPU’s very cool!

Here the pictures!!

The cooler.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PSU’s!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again, thanks a lot Cooler Master. We will enjoy the products!! :D

Adios!

10. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

looks awesome so far, nice to see it being done with, MOD WITH ME!

11. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Thanks a lot! Yeah MWM is awesome, we'll be going back tomorrow!

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'll interested to see what you do with the support pipe. I can tell you from experience it will need to be pretty strong. :D Just my little ITX puts some serious stress on the mounting.

13. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Yes, that's gonna be interesting haha. I don't really know how we're going to do that yet... XD

14. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

less talking more building :p very curious how this will turn out.

15. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Haha, yes yes! Soon there will be another update, or maybe 2 ^^

16. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Asus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asus, Republic of Gamers update

I would like to announce yet another amazing sponsor! ASUS! For which I would like to thank Sven in special. Sven gave me for one of the two Cubes a motherboard and graphics cards. The Asus maximus VI Impact and the GTX670 DCMOC. Because of this hardware I decided that for my Cube I'll be using red LED's instead of blue. Also for Asus I tried my best to make beautiful pictures! Enjoy!

The motherboard!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favourite picture haha!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soundcard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the GPU!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put everything together. I don't think there's a better mobo, gpu combination possible!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it for the beautiful Asus products. I can't think of better hardware for my Cube. Another building update will follow soon!

Adios!

17. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

following. awesome little start. used the same GPU in my last ITX build. Great little bit of kit. Cool little work shop.

18. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plextor!

And another update. This time a special one for Plextor. Thanks a loooot to Maarten from Plextor for these beautiful products, they’ll look amazing in the Cube. Pictures say more than a thousand words so I tried to make beautiful pictures again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SSD’s do have a bit boring appearance (looking good is different because they are very stylish) but I did my best for good pictures! Once again thanks to Maarten from Plextor! Another update will be here soon I hope. The problem is that we’re working on the Cubes far from home so yeah… But we try as hard as we can.

Adios!

19. longyny

longyny What's a Dremel?

Looking good!

I really love mini itx builds, and this time double ration, and with amazing hardware!!

Wait a minute please... I need to go to the kitchen for popcorns and coke, I don't want to miss anything...

20. 330td

330td Minimodder

Is this a home made CNC? because it looks neat :thumb: