1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BioWare founder hints at possible Mass Effect ending changes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 22 Mar 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

" proud of the team which but that criticism needs to be accepted." Say what?

3. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

"he's proud of the team which but that criticism needs to be accepted."

I think that sentence needs revising.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I think I just said that :)

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I chuckled at the ad at the bottom as I was reading your comments.

[​IMG]

:lol:

Tribble likes this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Whoopsie. This is what happens when you change part of a sentence last-minute... Fixed, ta!

7. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Absolute crock of sh*t. If they think that people are really going to be believe different endings weren't already planned in for DLC then they really do need their heads examined. So we are moving towards a business model where you buy a game, but then have to pay extra to get the actual endings? What next? Pay extra for the beginning of the game? Or for Graphics options and Control Configurations?

What a total bunch of a*se.

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I'll still pay it though. I am Bioware's bitch.

9. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

This would not be the first Mass Effect game to have a post-script available as DLC, look at the 'Arrival' DLC for Mass Effect 2. Also the continuation of the Mass Effect mythos post-Shep means that there will be answers.

I think what disappointed people is that the end is, however you read it, not a satisfying closure to the story. I think all of us going into ME3 wanted an end. We got more questions.

Providing questions rather than closure is what is referred to in TV writing as 'A Dick Move'.

I dunno. There's still a certain type of RPG that Bioware will always do best. The question is can I be bothered to play any more of that Bioware style of RPG? Meh. Bioware games for me used to be a must-have. However lately I've ignored SWTOR, I didn't finish Dragon Age 2 and I can't see myself getting Dragon Age 3. I can see myself falling out of love with the Bioware style, and the sense that I get from talking to other players is that I'm not alone. I don't think they need to change their formula, but they need to do better.

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Bioware are going down the path of trying to please as many people as possible (more cash), and that sadly means catering to those who want games with less options, less controls. They want easy mode. This I think comes from the console generation. As it sure doesn't come from their old skool PC fans. People complained that Dragon Age was too hard, too long and there was too much talking from the characters. I mean wtf? So we get DA2 which was more watered down.

And look at ME3..there is the option to turn off having to make most of the choices in the game. Why? Because (some) people don't want to think for themselves, they just want a brainless squad-shooter. Thank **** BW gave us the option to have full choices on, and thankfully that was the standard setting.

I've always been Biowares bitch like Baz, but I'm starting to lose faith in their direction. DA2 wasn't what it should have been. Neither was SWTOR. And the last 15mins of ME3 was soul crushing. I always pre-ordered without needing to think about it. I suspect I will pre-order DA3..but if they mess that up, it will be the last time I buy anything from them at full price.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2012
  11. greypilgers

Controversial/cliched/boring... Whatever, but For me Bioware have been on a downward slope since BG. They may well have released good games since then, but definitely a downward slope.

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

BG2 - best game I ever played to this day.

greypilgers likes this.
  13. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

They are obviously geniuses who have been tought well by EA. I need to learn these lessons for my job too.... provide an unsatisfying product to my customers so that I can charge them again for something better.

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I think it's more of EA's greed than it is Biowares

15. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The thing to consider with recent Bioware games being less hardcore, is they are trying to appeal to new players, and this is a laudable activity. I mean you sit somebody who has never gamed before in front of the original Dragon Age, or Baldur's Gate, they might never get into it. Mass Effect, especially the later two, is immediate, it is accessible. It grabs you. I like that. I like that there are hundreds of thousands of new gamers thanks to this kind of consideration.

Let's be honest, most of us here, we've got how many years of gaming behind us? We're usually the sort of folks who can see a game for the systems behind it within a matter of minutes, reducing them down to numbers like Neo in the Matrix. For a game to challenge us, for it to test our skill set, that game is going to crush an uninitiated player.

A lot of folks forget that. We're a rare breed, but we're getting more common. And we're getting more common because of games like Mass Effect, World of Warcraft, Skyrim and so on that are shamelessly accessible and that draw in an audience. They are gateway games and we need them. I know plenty of hardcore gamers grumbled about how soft and easy Skyrim felt after Morrowind, but I also know plenty of people for whom it is literally the first game they have played in years, or even ever, because you can pick it up, see what is going on, figure out the controls easily and run with it.

Gaming is huge, it will get bigger, but for that to happen it cannot be a closed shop.

alpaca likes this.
  16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Are we really still blaming consoles and their owners for the dumbing down of PC games? Might as well blame Disney or Psygnosis (for Lemmings). There is a place for both console and PC gaming and, that aside, aren't we all gamers together?

I can understand the rivalry between console owners, but willy-waving between PC users and console owners is getting tiring. There may even be grounds to suggest that if it wasn't for the lucrative console markets in the first place, the PC would never have seen the likes of Gears and Mass Effect.

I've yet to start ME1 as have still got loads of others to get through, but this business with the ending of 3 has put me off a bit. However, I think having the option to dumb things down should be applauded, as this should cater to everyone. Maybe the future is more in-depth versions of this...

17. greypilgers

LoL... I'm amazed that anyone could consider the first Dragon Age to be a complex RPG, by any stretch of the imagination!

:D

I also take issue with the fact that in order to get the 'new generation' of gamers, publuishers have to pander to the lowest common denominator, in a suggestion that when we, the older generation of gamers, first started out, in some way we were blessed with higher intellect and so were able to pick up more complicated games easier. BG was my first proper role playing game, and I got good at it because it had a brilliant storyline, and whislt relatively complex, encouraged further playing and mastery. Dumbing down the game because you think no one will understand it is very belittling and not doing justice to the many people out there perfectly capable of grasping the concept of a proper, in-depth game mechanic.

I like the crash-bang-shock-and-awe of alot of games, but I really don't think that this needs be at the expense of depth and complexity, if only a little more effort were shown by publishers. Since alot of these games are supposed to have 15+ age certificates anyway, I brook no argument that we have to make allowances for kiddies and their supposedly relative lack of comprehension of these mechanics.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2012
    Fizzban likes this.
  18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I could have worded it a bit better. It is not console players as such, all gamers play consoles at one time or another. But the xbox generation of gamers. They are so used to games offering no challenge that when given a game they have to think about they complain it is too hard. How many moaned about The Witcher 2 beginning because it didn't hold your hand?

But yes, I realise the why of it. To get more people playing and more cash rolling in, they dumb it down. It just gets to me is all.

19. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

The average old school PC gamer couldn't give a crap about Gears and Mass Effect. I agree it's nice to have both hardcore and casual games, but I think PC gamers get more and more annoyed as years go by because we don't get both. The majority of games these days are casual.

greypilgers likes this.
  20. greypilgers

+1

Tags: Add Tags