1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PWM Fan Controller

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 3 Dec 2001.

1. macroman

macroman The One

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Nov 2003
  2. Tim S

Tim S OG

Cool, this site seems to be getting back to its almightyness :D

It won't be long now before it becomes the Meccah for all modders around the world ;)

Cheers,

Biggie

3. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

It's a great idea to save a bit of fan noise, especially if you are using those annoying deltas!:cool:

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Macro that's SWEEEEEEET.

We've (prolly u mostly :D:D) gotta make a list of useful stock codes for mappers and RS n make it a sticky on the moddin forum.

That way we can just refer to it when need be and add cool stuff when we find cool stuff :D:D

5. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Yeah, can we have the Mapper's codes please!:D

6. macroman

macroman The One

The reason there are no Maplin/RS codes........they don't sell the chip yet. :( Besides Rapid are cheaper :)

7. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

Nice article, but I was wondering what kind of circuit I should do if I wanted to hook up a lot of fans, like 8 Delta 120mm. That's easily over 60W...should I do an electrobus like in the article on Razor-tech (where can I find the old articles?) or this type of setup?

8. macroman

macroman The One

This is the type of circuit to use if you are going to use such a heavy load. Just use a beefier transistor and slap on a decent heatsink. Although Using that many fans I would recommend a fanbus to give better control of air flow.

My Razor-Tech articles will be re posted here soon.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2001
  9. RolloThomasi

RolloThomasi What's a Dremel?

Macroman: Have you got a data-sheet for that mic502-thingie? Can't seem to find it here in Norway, so I'm generally looking for something similar that I can use. Thankie

10. macroman

macroman The One

Don't search engines work in Norway? ;)

http://www.micrel.com/product-info/products/mic502.html

11. RolloThomasi

RolloThomasi What's a Dremel?

most of the time they do, but apparently they are all on strike, or was it lunch, or whatever... Ok so I'm a limp-dick looroll who can't be bothered with searching, when he can get others to do it for him :)

thanks man

12. l3thal

l3thal What's a Dremel?

Love the new article macroman, especially the temp control with sleep setting, that is well cool. Will definately build one of those in the future :)

Last edited: 6 Dec 2001
  13. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

Thanks, so to vary the voltage to the fans in groups, of 2 for example, I should just make separate controllers?

14. macroman

macroman The One

That will enable you to balance the air flow better and produce the best cooling performance with minimum noise. :)

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Excellent article, and a fantastic IC. I've been assembling bits for a typical PWM circuit (ex Practical Electronics May 2k1, actually) with a UJT saw-tooth oscillator & 071 comparator, but this is far more versatile and simpler to set up.

Wish I'd found it first for http://www.cpemma.fsnet.co.uk/thermal.html

Couple of comments -

(1) Maxim (http://dbserv.maxim-ic.com/tarticle/view_article.cfm?article_id=114) & others reckon 100-120Hz is a decent pwm frequency for brushless fans; 30Hz may be a tad low, giving you the growl you mention,
    (2) What's the max measured voltage? I'd expect the transistor to drop at least 0.6v, a mosfet may be better.

But I'll order the bits & play, so thanks.

macroman likes this.
  16. macroman

macroman The One

The chip is optimised for driving an NPN transistor and since I had no suitable mosfets to hand....well. I will probably order some mosfets next time I restock. ;) Let me know how it goes.

The drop across T1 is about 0.6, a mosfet may well perform better, but at high fan loading, volt drop across the psu connectors is more of an issue i have found. The chip may require some additional output load correcting components if used with a mosfet?

I tried different frequencies and had no growl problems so I stuck with the manufactures recommendation of 30 Hz. Obviously I can't test every possible fan but I have tested most of the popular ones with no problem. The design is really more a "building block" rather than a de facto fan controller. Mod away. :D

17. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Thanks for feedback, btw, what camera took the stripboard shots? Look good. :D

18. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

Thanks man, the Delta on top of my Swifty is already driving me insane...:eek:

19. Woody

Woody What's a Dremel?

Nice mod...Bit tech returns to form:D
    Have just ordered the parts......

20. l3thal

l3thal What's a Dremel?

Could you tell me what software you use to "draw" your circuits and where can i get it from? :)

And does the 220 microFarad C2 capacitor need to be adjusted if more channels are added? i.e. increase / decrease the capacitance?

thanks

Tags: Add Tags