1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P8101 WU!!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by kirk46, 11 Jul 2012.

1. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

got one of these on my 4P rig and its destroyed it :(

it cant meet the deadline of 2.4days i think and im getting 6.5k ppd :waah::waah::jawdrop:

2. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Ouch. :(

3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

P8101's are the 'standard' bigadv WU's at the moment, and they are certainly a test for meeting deadlines (high-end dual socket Xeon machines can miss this deadline as well as some 4P machines) - plus they are less productive, in a points-sense, than other 'big' WU's :sigh:

4. kirk46

:(

is there nothing i can do apart from change to smp?

which would also be a ppd hit i imagen?

5. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Would be interested in seeing what the 'cheap' 4p rig gets when doing SMP rather than bigadv. As I have been contemplating purchasing the bits myself given the relatively low cost to enter the 4p game.

6. kirk46

i may have to run smp if i cant meet the deadline...

i am 8gb down on ram and thats makes a difference...

i will be getting 4gb in the next day or too, and searching for another 4gb

7. kirk46

well the ram i received recently was damaged the some of the small resistors are always missing/broken off with just about all the ram ive got off ebay... and ive had alot!!

ive have manged to get some thats tested and working for this board but its coming from America so i will have to wait abit....

it took a lowly 3 and a half day to finish the P8101 wu with a ppd of 6.5k :(

just started running smp and its at 27k ppd with p6097 wu, im sure that will go up alot when i finally have 16gb running....

ortho i really want to run -bigbeta WU's :(

8. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

You need bigbeta, as a 2600k overclocked can hit that with considerably lower power draw.

Hope the ram makes an improvement for you.

9. DocJonz

In terms of RAM, I'm running P8101 at the moment and it only uses 3Gb ....

10. kirk46

yes but if all the slots are full it provides more bandwidth or something lol

basically i only have 2 cpus that can use ram the other 2 have none installed

11. Slowlemon

Slowlemon What's a Dremel?

RAM slots

Hi Kirk46

Looking at the pictures of your 4P system I see it has 4 DIMM slots per CPU for a total of 16 slots. I would guess each processor has a duel channel memory controller with 2 slots per channel. You have 8 RAM modules so you can have 1 DIMM per channel and get the full memory bandwidth. The manual for the motherboard should tell you which slots to use for best performance. Sharing out the RAM equally between the processors should give you a boost in performance.

Are you using The Kraken? FAH does not run optimally on multiprocessor systems. The Kraken binds each thread to one core to speed up memory access. Even if you installed The Kraken when running Bigadv you will need to install it again now you are running SMP. SMP uses a different FAHcore to Bigadv. None of this will help if you are running 2 processors with no local memory.

Even with your system running optimally it is unlikely that it will meet the deadlines for P8101. See this spreadsheet, no 16 core AMD systems can do it, you need 24 cores or fast duel 6 core Xeons. You should be able to get good points on SMP, I would guess 40K to 60K. P690x work units on Bigadv would get over 100K PPD but those projects are suddenly in short supply.

Hope this helps.

Fold on :rock:

12. kirk46

Slowlemon....

thanks for the info

there is no manual for this board, no drivers etc
    the only info we have on the board is from other peoples trial and errors there is a link a few posts before the pictures i think.

i cant spread out the ram, it will only work with 0 or for 4 DIMMs filled

yes im using Kraken :)

ortho i cant get into the bios to see if the node interleaving is disabled or not... it needs flashing to a newer bios... which nobody has atm.

BUT you can get into the bios with an B2 stepping Opteron but not B3 lol. i do have one on the way from overseas...

i have P690x on smp how would i get them on bigadv?

its on its second P6097 wu and its gone upto 28500~ppd so its a little faster

thanks

13. Slowlemon

Slowlemon What's a Dremel?

It sounds like this board is not easy to work with. I hope you get your memory sorted out.

14. kirk46

it is...... but it was cheap lol :hehe:

Last edited: 16 Jul 2012
  15. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

8101s certainly are beasts!

My 3930K @ 4.3 GHz completes them with about 6.5 hours to spare for approx 103K PPD . 6903s and 6904s are completed with days to spare :lol:

16. kirk46

and the 3930k cpu alone costs around £100 more than my whole 4P rig :jawdrop:

17. DocJonz

Isn't the 3930K a hex core HT CPU, i.e. it has 12 threads? - presumably you've done something to 'trick' the assignment server, as these WU's should only be dished out to 16 'core' machines :confused:

18. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Virtual machine with fixed settings outside normal parameters?

19. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Straight Linux with a little script :naughty:

Does the job without problem.

When I have my 4P system running I will revert to V7 standard SMP WUs on the 3930K.

20. kirk46

update:

ive install Kraken to the A3 core and the TPF has gone from 6.59 to 6.44 so far...