1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Changing prepay Electricity meter.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 1 Feb 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Now for reasons I will not go into we have a prepay electricity meter. I have finally convinced my partner that we really do need to go on to a credit meter, or whatever the usual one are called. After yet again running out of credit and suddenly being cut off. unfortunately the beep on the meter indicating low credit is so quiet a pin dropping would make more noise.

Getting the meter changed by British Gas is not going to be a problem and is free but right after I do I am going to be looking to change suppliers as I have with the gas side of our energy needs who were also BG.

My question is by changing the meter am I then tied to some contract for an X amount of time? Am I stuck with BG until this contact if it exists ends.

I moved to Daligas and have been really pleased with the service any advice on electricity providers preferably with decent customer service which I would imagine rules out the big 6.

2. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I think you'll probably find that getting your meter changed will involve credit checks and signing up to a 12 month contract. But the easiest way to find out is to ask your current supplier.

Then I figure you have two options, either decide on a new supplier and see if they can fit you a new meter or just stick with the current supplier and make sure you choose the best tariff they have for you.

In my experience of changing energy suppliers.... it's never the hundreds of pounds savings you see on the adverts. There may well be a massive price gap between the tariff you've defaulted to because you haven't changed in years and the best tariff from any supplier, but the difference between the best tariff from any supplier and and best tariff from your current supplier is often 10's of pounds over the year so not really worth the effort in changing (IMHO).

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

The meter is usually the property of the local electricity distributor, not your provider.
    My experience is in the commercial arena, and we have had meters upgraded in our properties and tenants have changes suppliers independent of this.
    Whether a prepay meter is tied to a provider, I don't know but would suggest that the situation would be as above.
    HTH

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I'm not sure that's entirely true - I've changed from EDF to First Utility and I'm effectively paying 2/3rds per unit that I was previously. That being said though - I don't have Gas and I have an economy 7 meter, so maybe it's a little different to duel fuel.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Turns out that my supplier will change the meter for free, no credit check needed as we have a history with British gas and as far as I can make out though not sure as the customer service rep knowledge on much of BG's policies was sadly lacking.

If I had moved supplier Ovo for instance I would have had to remain on a pre payment meter for a year before they would change it.

So meter getting changed in a months time then it will be time to bail as BG ranks as one of the worst companies to do business with in my experience.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2015
  6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I would stay well clear of EDF when you are looking for a new supplier - they have consistently got things wrong in houses I've lived in over the last decade, and normally it's cost me money in some way or another.

I'm now with First Utility and I think they are ace, really great web portal, great customer service and cheap.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Bookmarked, thanks.

8. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I recently got my meter switched from Economy 7 to standard by BG. I checked first off that there were no restrictions, and have initiated switch a few days after the changeover.