1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks What do you think of this Notebook?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bituser, 23 Nov 2012.

1. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi,

I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Asus S400 in New Zealand. I'm quite close to purchasing it, but I wanted to find out what your opinions are based on the specifications. The reviews on the internet are either "guesses" or "broad". The closest I could find to a real review comes from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-S400...cr_dp_qt_see_all_top?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The specifications are a little different in NZ so, I can't really be sure:
    • Operating System: Windows 8 64-Bit
    • CPU: Intel Core i3 3217U CPU
    • Screen: 14.0" LED HD (1366x768) Glare Touch
    • Memory: 4GB DDR3-1600 (Onboard RAM)
    • Storage: 24GB SSD + 500GB 5400rpm HDD (HDD in the dock)
    • Chipset: Intel HM76
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
    • Sound: Built-in speaker ; Built-in microphone ; Bang & Olufsen ICEpower ; Sonic Master
    • Wireless Network: 802.11 b/g/n
    • Wired Network: 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    • Battery: 3 Cell/4400mAh Battery
    • Web Camera: 0.3M WebCam
    • Weight: 2.0KG
    • Dimensions: 33.9(W) x 23.9(D) x 2.00 ~ 2.10 (H) cm
    • Chiclet Keyboard
    • Power: 65W Adaptor

Ports:
    • Card Reader: SD
    • 2x USB 2.0; 1x USB 3.0
    • 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack
    • 1x VGA Port (D-Sub)
    • 1x HDMI

What I'm looking for in a notebook: Portable, long battery life and good for the basics such as office, photoshop, emails etc. Just a nice laptop for University next year. I don't need a fully blown gaming laptop, as I already have those qualities in my desktop. My budget isn't very high, it's about $1020 NZD.

The Asus S400 looks great. The only thing I am concerned about is the processor. It is running a new Ivy Bridge Core i3 3217U which I think is running at 1.7GHz. Now, I haven't really messed about with the new mobile processors, my last laptop was running a single core Celeron at 2.0GHz. Is the Mobile i3 any good? I know people assume "more GHz is always better". Is that the case with this CPU? Am I going to be getting performance comparable to a Pentium Dual Core :eek:?

Please, let me know what you think.

Also, please make sure it has heaps of wifis.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2012
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ok this is what i see what sucks with it:
    -> No DisplayPort
    -> Low resolution: Its Windows 8 minimum supported screen resolution.
    -> Low resolution: Way too low for 14inch display.
    -> Intel GPU
    -> Slow HDD - Trust me.. you don't want it.
    -> Expensive for what you get
    -> 5h battery life is too small for university.
    -> 1 year warranty only.

Have a look at Business class Lenovo, HP and Dell systems.
    Most models comes with or has as an option: a 3 year warranty + 3 year next buisness day on site service (they come to you at the day and time you want (as long as it's resonable), to repair your system in front of you. This is an awesome service, as it ensures that:
    -> Your problem is solved
    -> You always have the system in hand, and don't have to wait 1-2 weeks for (repair + shipping) to get it back
    -> 3 year warranty

Business class systems have longer battery life, better build quality, usually junk free, you can request OS disk (via phone (you can also negotiate a price and/or free upgrades)), cooler and quiet, and better keyboard. Also the screen, for most models, won't be glossy.

I don't think there is a 14inch laptop that cover all the above cons (despite existing everywhere a few years ago for the same prices as now), but at least you have a solid system that will last you 4-5 years if you are careful, with daily usage.

If you are going into computer field or engineer or math, you want a tablet (I mean a convertible laptop/laptop powered by Windows 8, not iPad) with digitize pen support, so that you can write all your notes with Microsoft OneNote.

3. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi Goodbytes,

thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

Doesn't really matter for me. Unless there is a reason?

I was worried about this. I see a lot of people complaining about 1366 on a 14inch

Seems I was too fixated on the SSD side of it and didn't actually notice the 5400RPM! Should I be aiming for a full 120GB SSD or just a 7200RPM?

Do you think having an Intel HD 4000 will matter if I am not planning on gaming. I realize that Windows 8 now using DX a lot for rendering Windows itself, will this hold me back?

These are very important factors. I realize that towards the end of the day I may need to plug in, which isn't the most convenient way to work.

That was haunting me. My last laptop had a Matte screen so you can see in the daytime. My Dell IPS is Matte and my cheap 17" is Matte. Glossy screens give me nightmares.

My last laptop was $500 and quite slow, but lasted about 6 years. I'm aiming for a minimum of 4 years, because I know I want have money again for that long :|.

Do you have any ideas on this one? I was originally looking at a lenovo twist (?). I will have to look a bit more seriously into it. I thought it would be incredibly handy to have pen support, especially with windows 8. I'm sure at the price I am looking at I can get a decent laptop, compromises will have to be made. I just have to decide where.

Yes, I am going into a Computer Science degree. Thanks for all of that. I will have a good look at Lenovo and see what they offer.

4. GoodBytes

Not limited to 1920x1200 resolution if you plug it to another display. Most laptop and monitor HDMI ports are HDMI 1.2 or 1.3, so 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 max depending on the aspect ratio of your monitor.

OEM are not longer competitive between each other... so they are giving you crap at a high price for what you get. Also, they also aim the budget market, where the consumer seek for the lowest price possible and don't care about anything else. That is why you have these crummy resolutions, let a alone TN. While on table its no issue, you easily find 1080p display on 10inch screen and IPS.

HDD/SSD you can upgrade yourself. You'll save money. Just make sure you can upgrade it easilly, else have a 120GB SSD minimum (this should be sufficient, it is for me, and your needs seams close to mine), or 7200RPM HDD.

Its more for the drivers. Intel has a reputation of ditching their drivers as soon as a new CPU is out. So you can already rule out Windows 9 support, unless Intel magically changes. Also , Intel GPU are actually very weak GPU, just deeply optimized form a list they compile of what they think are popular programs. If the program is not listed, expect poor performance or not work at all. This can be an issue with future software version (web browsers and Office 2013 are fine (yes, both uses the GPU now)). Metro apps are too simple to be an issue either. So it depends on you. Again, this is what I THINK sucks about it. I would try and get a low end Nvidia or AMD GPU (of course more powerful than Intel GPU)

I agree. And battery life will diminish over time. Assuming you get a really good battery, after a year, you'll lose about ~1h of battery life (this varies depending on the battery capacity, type specs and rating)

Currently only business class laptop have the option or have as default a non-glossy panel (they cost more)

I don't know about it. If you are interested in pen support, just for you to compare better and help you take a better decision. Wait early next year for the Surface Pro from Microsoft.
    -> Core i5 processor
    -> 1080p display IPS panel (glossy, as it's touch screen)
    -> ~10inch
    -> Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    -> detachable keyboard (touch cover or type cover)
    -> 4GB of RAM
    -> 128GB SSD (or 256GB)
    -> digitize pen support
    -> 10-point multi-touch screen
    -> Mini Display Port
    -> 1x USB 3.0
    -> Micro SD card support (up to 64GB)
    -> Solid build quality.

However, it's non upgradable, small, tilt can't be adjusted, battery life is unknown and can't be changed.

But, at that time you can see how it compare with similar products, and pick the best one of all them.

As a Computer Science student, this is what I can tell you:
    -> Laptop will be only for theory classes that doesn't have any special symbols, so you'll need a notebook. Excellent for research/reading notes at the library or on the go, and program.
    -> If you don't want a notebook, and have everything on your laptop, get one of the best digitize pen technology in a tablet/convertible laptop you can find. Use Microsoft OneNote (you'll should have it free on MSDNAA once you are student there, unless your University isn't registered to it. You'll also find about every Microsoft software except Office (I guess Microsoft needs to make money somehow)).

If you wonder what I have:
    -> I have the Dell Latitude E6400 - its 4 years old, still looks nice, and solid.
    -> 14 inch system.
    -> 4GB of RAM DDR2 800MHz
    -> Core 2 Duo P8400 2.2GHz
    -> Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M
    -> 1440x900 - 16:10 - non-glossy - TN panel - LED backlight (IPS didn't exists at the time. LED back light which you want on a laptop for much reduce power consumption)
    -> 9-cell battery providing me 9 to 11h of battery (9h under Vista 64-bit, 10h under Win7 64-bit, almost 11h under Win8 64-bit).
    -> Support for optional second battery plate which attaches at the bottom of the system, which offers up to 21h of battery life under Vista 64-bit, based on reviews.
    -> back light keyboard (nice feature)
    -> slim DVD burner drive
    -> 160GB 5400RPM HDD... was upgraded with Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
    -> DisplayPort 1.1 (backward compatible down to HDMI and single link DVI)
    -> eSATA, firewire, VGA, 4x USB 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, SD card reader.
    -> Intel wireless N 5100
    -> 3 year warranty with 3 year next business day on site service

I initially wanted the Del Latitude XT tablet... but it was 3k at the time :/

Last edited: 24 Nov 2012
  5. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Unfortunately within my budget their are very few touch screen convertibles. The ones that are available are 12", which I think is a bit small.

If I ditch the touch screen it opens up a whole heap of possbilities.

The Lenovo Edge looks good:

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrar...2331781DDEAA69918104AF82946DF781#.ULAkoobMaZ8

I'd get the i5 version and upgrade the screen resolution to 1600. The Battery lasts about 7 hours which is pretty decent. I just need to shop around. Something else that looks good is the Samsung 7 Chronos.

6. GoodBytes

Yes, have a look at Samsung also. More specifically have a look at the Series 7 and 9.

The Lenovo looks nice.. although 15inch is big, or at least in my opinion.
    If you order an Lenovo, Dell, HP, call and negotiate a price, see how low of the price (or free upgrades) you can get :)

7. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi,

Yeah I wanted the 14" version, but they have this weird setup. You can either have a 14" with a dedicated graphics card and 1366 resolution OR an integrated graphics card with 1600. I wanted both, so I went for the 15". They have these Cyber Monday deals on at the moment, but I will see if I can push it further :p. Thanks for all of your help. I needed a bit of insight.

8. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi,
    I just thought I would update you on the "freebies" you suggested and I was sort of doubtful of. You are dead right about them! All I had to do was ask and I am now getting one of these, for the same price!

Description
    ThinkPad Edge E530 - Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty Edit
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3632QM Processor (6M Cache, 2.20 GHz) Edit
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Edit
    Operating System Language: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - English
    Display Type: 15.6" W HD+ (1600 x 900) AntiGlare, Heatwave Red (With WWAN) Edit
    System Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M Graphics with 2GB VRAM (WWAN or mSATA capable) Edit
    Total Memory: 6 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM) Edit
    Keyboard: Keyboard with Number Pad - US English Edit
    Camera: 720p HD Camera
    Hard Drive: 750GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm Edit
    Optical Device: DVD Recordable
    Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion Battery 62WH - 75+
    Power Cord: 90W AC Adapter - ANZ
    Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters: ThinkPad a/b/g/n Wireless & Bluetooth 4.0 (2x2 ABGN & BT 4.0) Edit
    Language Pack: Publication - AP English

He upgraded the CPU to an i7 and the RAM to 6GB. I wasn't able to push the warranty any further, but I have saved $800 thanks to you. I realize the HDD is only 5400RPM, but I will probably just sell it for a small SSD.

Oh and I intentionally downgraded to Windows 7 (no discount for that!). I thought it was smarter than getting standard Windows 8. Windows 8 > Windows 8 Pro is twice the price of Windows 7 > Windows 8. It'll be getting clean formatted anyway, so what does it matter? Atleast now I can take advantage of the MS upgrade offer they have at the moment.

Thanks, I'm definitely getting the best value for money now.

9. GoodBytes

AWESOME!
    Yea, for warranty they can't move. But you could have went a bit further if you got higher warranty. For example, if you bought 3 year warranty, you could have other upgrades for free or reduce price. BUT, of course, you'll end up paying more, as you pick a higher warranty period, which is an extra, but it won't be as expensive as if you got 3 years and didn't ask for any price.

As you saw, You don't save anything by taking any older Windows. OEMs pay a flat fee for every system with Microsoft. But the good news is that buy having the Windows 8 upgrade, you'll have Windows 8 disk essentially, which you usually you don't if you got it in the laptop. so you still win! Beside you'll get Windows 8 Pro from MSNDAA for free when you start school. Just ask the IT department on how to access that, or search the web. In my case, what I did for the first time, I just Google MSDNAA and my university name, got the login page, I entered my school computer lab user name and password, and voila!

I think you got an fantastic deal! That is why I LOVE ordering directly with the manufacture.
    Lesson is, always contact manufacture to order something if possible. I recall buying a TV a very long time ago. I got a Sony CRT TV (LCD TV where new at the time, and extremely expensive), and we went to the Sony store, on a quiet day for them, and we negotiated the price. Its wasn't as easy as what you experience, but show that you are paying in cash and not credit card, and now you are rolling. I recall the TV stand for (which is normally something that no one buys, as it's always this completely over priced thing), bunch of high quality cables of free, and reduce price on the TV. A friend of mine bought a digital video recorder camera from Sony store, now it was an expensive camera, but he got a bunch of stuff for free as well. Carrying case, UV filter lens, and some other lens, also a bunch of cable, and a nice price drop.

But you try that on a big store... while they'll make you a deal.. it will be crap. Like on the warranty by 50-100$. And this usually doesn't end well. Some stores I work in, some sale rep was doing specials on the warranty, and went the consumer came with for a repair under warranty, the store goes "you didn't finish paying the warranty. You need pay what you didn't pay last time, so that we cover you.".. yeaaa. terrible... just terrible. It makes people happy, but get the bad surprise after. And usually the store can't do much, as unless it's some small repair that doesn't involve changing parts, the system is sent to some other company, which won't cover you because you didn't pay the price. Plus you end up with abysmal service, and non genuine parts inside your system, or makeshift fixes like using glue instead of replacing the part. One of MANY stories: http://consumerist.com/2010/09/30/geek-squad-tries-to-fix-computer-with-glue-gun/

Hence why everyone says to avoid getting extended warranties. For me, I only go, if it's something that will get used and moved a lot, like a laptop, and only and exclusively with the manufacture. Of course, if money allows me to get it.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. I think I deserve a +rep point :D

Bituser likes this.
  10. GoodBytes

Oh. Just a heads up.
    If the system didn't came with any recovery or OS disks. Do your recovery disks. JUST IN CASE, you ever need them. Better having them, then getting a bad surprised, and feel stupid afterwards. If you do have the disks, keep them safe.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

You can pick up a second hand MacBook Air for similar cash at least in uk. And it will be far better than any second rate notebook.

Goodbytes listed the issues.

Remove Gpu and display port from care list.

Battery life is critical though 5 hrs is not long enough considering you won't get close to it. Very few notebooks / laptops hit manufacture times for battery life.

12. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi rollo,

thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I don't like second hand notebooks as you cannot tell what has happened to them. Also, I do not like Apples overpriced Macbook range. I'm afraid that a lot of people buy mac for "style" but don't consider the gains that they would attain by purchasing a Windows Notebook/Laptop at the same price.

Could you please explain. This contradicts Goodbytes comments so I would be interested to see your reasoning behind this.

13. GoodBytes

For the battery life, he assumes consumers laptop. But for business class, with wireless ON, screen minimum brightness (which is actually pretty bright (enough so that you can see ok the screen) on a non-glossy screen, as you don't need to offset the light reflecting), idle, you usually have something very close, or reach what the manufacture provides.

If battery is ever an issue, nothing stops him of getting a second one, which you can't on a Mac.

Also, MacBook Pro is for sure going to be a high build quality, longer battery life, IPS panel, and quieter. But he will be paying A LOT more, and Windows sucks on a Mac, as you are tied to Apple own drivers, and of course they are not going to give you a great experience. It took over a year before Apple provide half decent drivers for Windows 7 in boot camp, and people who put Windows 8 users complain about BSODs and lots of errors.

His current system will be nice for many classes, he has the power to run Visual Studio, even large project if he ever gets a part time job and work allows him to work from distance by carrying his work with him. It is a budget business class system after all, but it will be ready for countless open/close lid every day. be fine if he drops his bag a bit too hard on the floor by mistake, and survive if something trips on his power cord, and the system flip over and falls. For many classes he will need a note book and pen/pencil, that was already established. So going fancy system like I did, is a bit excessive. But perhaps later on his path at University, he can get a nice summer job in the industry or part time job (which ever he wants), and be able to afford a nice Windows 8 powered tablet with digitize pen support, and he can both. Power on the go with his laptop and large screen, and tablet for classes that demand hand written notes. And have everything in sync and in the cloud with Windows 8 and OneNote (ok, that last but sounded like an ad, sorry :) )

Also, he has GPU that will give him a great experience on Windows 8, 9 and possibly even 10 if he able to strength his laptop this long, with no fear of lack of drivers support, and he will have no problem doing dual screen or something like that, as Nvidia/AMD GPUs are excellent at it. Moreover, as things goes more and more GPU rendered, he will have no problem doing any of this. And if it stolen, the loss is substantially less wallet hurting moment.

Beside, if he doesn't like it or has an issue with it, he can always return, or exchange it with a different model.

BTW, I suggest to really test drive the laptop, try and find issues with the laptop, test RAM, stress test the system, 'cause now its the time to find issues, if any. Also, if you change your mind if you are not satisfied with your purchase, well you have a few days you can return it.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2012