1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Surge Protection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Almightyrastus, 31 May 2013.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Hey guys, just testing the water here.

Would anyone be interested in a pretty long post or set of posts on the subject of domestic surge protection?

I will warn you advance, it can get quite in depth and most people will take one look at the postings and immediately reply with TL : DR but if there is enough interest I will sort something out.

Also if anyone has anything specific that they would like me to cover put a reply in with the point or question and I will work it into the post.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'd be interested in the technical details, I'm always am :)

Particular interested in how power sockets bought from Wilkinson differ from expensive branded ones.

3. Almightyrastus

Just out of interest, what would you consider expensive?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

5. Almightyrastus

That's something I want to investigate, my instinct is to immediately say no as I know very well what goes into designing industry standard units but as part of this I want to pick up a few cheap ones (I would consider that Belkin to be cheap as well) and crack them open to see exactly what sort of parts have been used.

As a guide, the ones I am normally specifying for designs range from £200 to £2000 so it will be very interesting to see exactly what is used and how they compare to the ones I am most familiar with.

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Would be an interesting read :thumbup:

7. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I would be very interested in reading this as I currently have to use a UPS as when it rains the power can cut out. I need all the protection I can get.

8. Almightyrastus

OK, sounds like there is some interest, I'll start putting something together. Please remember however, that I will be talking about this from a point of view of UK power and lightning protection standards but it should translate over to other voltage levels.

I can always expand on things as I go on

9. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I used to make surge protection, but to be fair it was all lightning protection, not basic surge stuff.

The product i use is well in access of £100, perk of the job, had to be tested long term, so was allowed to have one for free as such.

It does appear there are some reasonable surge based stuff available now though.

will be also interested to see what people are using and if there using other than power protection, as people with tv tuners and other devices nowdays.

Almighty, sounds like you are in the same industry i used to be in.