1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning New concept (OSIDIAS), The CNC arrives!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by craigbru, 6 Feb 2009.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Hey guys, I'm throwing around ideas for another new case... one that will likely be built before Duality. I've been sketching up some ideas and wanted a little feedback. Keep in mind that what you are about to see, is unfinished, and missing some key details. However, I like the concept, but I want your opinions on how it all fits together.

Okay, here is the core of the case. It's SFF of course, and it's damn tiny due to efficient space usage. I'm planning a DFI X58, SLI, full size PSU, 4 full size hard drives, pico, and watercooled CPU in this little package. Due to it's design, it should also run fairly cool. As of now, I don't plan on deviating much from this except for details like adding mesh, or possibly windows.

[​IMG]

I was then inspired by a RED camera cage I saw, and wanted to add a more industrial and sci-fi look to the case. The following is what I came up with. Of course it's subject to revision, but wasn't sure how it all fit together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opinions?

Last edited: 16 Mar 2010
    Dark~3nergy and mvagusta like this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like it. Have you got the insides finalized?

3. craigbru

Thank you. The inside is about 75% complete. Everything will be mounted to an expanded motherboard tray. Meaning that the entire assembly will slide out of the rear of the case. That includes the radiator and loop as well. The only thing still in the case would be the fans on the left side, and the hard drives.

4. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

I like the concept a lot! The 'frame'/'handles' you added gives it that bit extra... Makes it look finished somehow. But it does seem that it's sticking out quite far on the sides making the whole thing quite wide - I'd prefer it a bit closer in. Otherwise you may as well build a full ATX case ;-)

5. craigbru

Sounds like we're on the same page. I had thought about narrowing the frame up a little. I guess it's hard to get a sense of scale here. The case as it is now, is only 37 cm (14.5") deep, and that's the largest dimension.

6. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

The side handles currently bulge outward. How about if they would bulge inwards?
    Front view:
    Code:
    -------------
    |  |||||||  |
    \  |||||||  /
     | ||||||| |
     | ||||||| |
    /  |||||||  \
    |  |||||||  |
    -------------

(Don't you just love ASCII art?)

7. craigbru

The ASCII art is a very nice touch. I approve! :thumb: It's a pretty simple step to invert the sides. I'll do that when I got home and post up.

8. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

Kewl modeling skillz:rock:, is it in Maya? of 3dsMax? or if I am stupid and I don't realize that is sketchup:(...

9. craigbru

Nah, it's none of the above. It's actually ViaCAD, and I'm man enough to admit that I love it... :eyebrow:

10. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

kewl...

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Inverting the handle curves would make it look more square, as would bringing them in. The way you have it now is much better. It breaks up the cube-iness.
    I like the idea of a one-piece frame. I can tell you from experience to be careful about the cables. Plank has a special set of 'shoe horns' for assembly purposes. The more space you have between the walls and the frame, the better.

12. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

I like the way the rad is sitting, gives it a more of an nuclear detonator kind of look...
    GIVE US MORE!!!

13. craigbru

Okay, I tried inverting the sides... and it's horrible. I'm not even going to bother posting the results. It simply doesn't fit the rest of the case at all. Lol, the ASCII art looks so much better.

Thanks Cheaps, I'll play a little more, but every time I try and deviate, the result looks much worse than what I have.

I'll be wary of the cables. Either that, or I'll use touch contacts like I did on the Rogue. No wires at all... :thumb:

Thanks man. Just wait until you see it finished off. There's so many little things missing right now.

14. craigbru

I've been playing around... what do you think of holes? Or maybe some variation of this?

[​IMG]

15. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Perhaps the holes should be more rectangular so they would fit with the look of those cooling ribs.

16. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Cool compact design you got going there dude, What about adding some ally tubing in the front and rear of the case through those holes? would give some more protection and also another viable way to carry it :p could even sink some dials into the ends for fans etc.

17. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Thats a sick design man. I personally think there should be somethign above the 2 fans in the last photo, something.still looks fantastic.

18. craigbru

Interesting... I'll look into that.

Well, in order to add tubing, I'd have to bring the front and the rear, forward and rearward respectively. There isn't enough clearance to do that right now. Also, I'm going to trying to integrate a 7" touchscreen LCD to the front. However, just for fun, I did a quick and dirty preview of what you mentioned... It just didn't fit with the rest of the case...

Thank you. I'm looking to add something there. In fact, I'm working on something right now...

Okay, regarding the LCD I mentioned above... My last 3 mods have had one. In fact, I don't know if I could build a case for myself without one. Also, since this case will have another pico-itx on board, it's also needed for that. The question is, how the heck do I mount it so it doesn't look tacked on?

Here is the LCD in it's approximate position...

[​IMG]

19. craigbru

Okay, one more here. I added vents to the side panels. What do you think... too many holes? They will have mesh behind them, with the exception of the most forward hole, that will have a window...

[​IMG]

20. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Was bored while having my coffee this morning and thought id have a play on how you could mount that LCD :) didnt have much time but heres the idea I was thinking

[​IMG]