1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling GPU water block - HD 5770?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AoE, 19 Feb 2012.

1. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, My brother is wanting some watercooling his card is a HIS 5770, are there water blocks for these?

cheers

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Depends on whether the card is reference. You can use the configurator to check. You'll struggle to find a used one though.

Oh, I have one spare, it's the copper and white acetal version

3. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

just looking on config, theres actually no water block for my version which is the black HIS with blue fan in middle, why on earth is this lol

and thanks for the link, oh I don't think yours will fit my brothers one?

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Sadly, no it won't fit then. He can use just a GPU only block but he'd need heatsinks for the VRMs and possibly a fan for them too.

You can use the EK installation manual for the full cover block to work out where to place heatsinks on the VRMs as they're all over the place on the 5770.

5. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

For some cards, it's easier to a generic VGA cooler, and then add either vram blocks or passively cool the ram and vrms. I'm currently looking at those options for testing/benching some older GPUs.

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

5770's don't run hot do they? Why bother with a waterblock except for the bling factor, a good 3rd party air heatsink will do the job fine.

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Is that the card you bought from me AoE? If so, I also looked into a waterblock for it. It's a non reference PCB design so everything is laid out different hence not fitting waterblocks.

8. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

yes noiz it is, my bro really wants watercooling, so trying to find a way around it all

9. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Best to stick with reference cards for watercooling

10. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

yeah, sounds like it, but having said that the card only reaches around 45-50 c under full load playing bf3 / mw3 etc, and it's performance still baffels me as it can cope easily with top spec games

11. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Slap a h50 on it and be done with it works out cheaper. Not really worth going the hole hog on it as it might cost more than the cards worth imo

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If it's just noise, turn the fan down with something like Afterburner software?

Or, sell the 5770 and use the WC+GFX money to buy something better, with bigger fans.

13. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

14. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

cheers guys well my brother doesnt really want to spend any more money on a new card as the 5770 does the job for him, however I think he just want's his hardware to go for a swim :)