1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards What I would like to see in the next Rampage extreme motherboards.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 20 Mar 2013.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

As there are a few people who work for ASUS here. Not going to give too much away, unless you are a regular forum member, then you know who's who. ;)

So, I've been thinking about when IB-E or Haswell-E comes out and my next upgrade on a motherboard.

Now, I've always liked the ASUS range, and being an enthusiast, I like the extreme systems with the ton of bandwidth they bring etc.

The Sabertooth motherboard looks stunning with all that Armour shielding. But it lacks the full bandwidth of the Rampage extreme. (I know there's a big jump in price etc.)

So my question is, and I'm sure I'm not alone here; Why not make the Rampage Extreme with all the Armour shielding from the Sabertooth?

Pro's;

It looks awesome
    It protects the board and all its circuity
    Less chance of screw driver damage.
    Easy to clean any dust off it

Con's

Warmer motherboard operation?

In my mind, it makes sense, and so maybe this could be forwarded on to the devs?

Cheers,

Simon.

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

The whole reason I don't use the Sabertooth boards is that shield that they have on them as I think it looks FUGLY!!!

What I would like to see is the Fusion Blocks come back that will cool the board properly as if you was to swap out the stock heatsinks for aftermarket blocks, maybe make 2 versions of the boards one for air cooling and one for watercooling.

I would love to see all PCI-E slots have 16X bandwidth when running multiple graphics cards.

M-Sata connection like some of the Gigabyte boards so that I do not need to use a Sata lead.

Right Angled 24 Pin and 8 Pin power connectors.

No onboard sound because most people who will buy that sort of a board will have a decent sound card.

Then all I need is for Intel to start selling cpu's without a inbuilt gpu.

Tangster likes this.
  3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

But looking at Bobby's Sabertooth (Await him to post some pic's here. :)) It looks clean, tidy and stunning.

As for the rest, I agree, you can never have enough PCI-E bandwidth for multiple cards.
    Also, the 24pin and 8pin should be 90* from the board to make the cables more tidy. :)

If they have on board sound, then integrate a decent sound card to it, as anyone using Tri or Quad SLI, has no way of fitting a Card in the PCI-E x1 slot. (I have to lose x8 lanes, as I have my sound card in one of my x16 slots, which makes my GPU's run x16 x8 x8 instead of X16 X8 X16.)

Also SB-E doesn't have a GPU integrated, and I'm hoping Haswell-E doesn't either. :)

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Onboard-sound will allways have issues, no matter what chip you're using. Simply use an USB-DAC instead.

And for the shield/shroud of the Sabretooth. With some 3mm acrylics you can make a shield/shroud for any board. ;)

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The Intel Core i5 3350P doesn't have a built in GPU either. I do think the K series CPUs should be without built in graphics though as I think anyone who would go for a K CPU will be looking to overclock and will also have a discreet GPU. I've never understood why Intel stick the HD4000 GPUs in the K series and a couple of other CPUs either.

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

That's the issue if I am paying £200+ on a cpu that is capable of overclocking then there is a extremely high chance that I would not be wanting to use, the onboard gpu.

I know with Sandy Bridge they did the 2550K but they never did a I7 with no GPU as far as I am aware.

Then there is the Sandy Bridge E but, due to the lack of PCI-E 3.0 support I don't think I will be upgrading to it but it depends on what money I have available to spend, next week or the week after.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

This is me talking from a personal point of view, nothing more, nothing less. -

Right angled 24-pins probably won't become mainstream for a while because lots of cases are still designed to the exact size of the motherboard, so the extra 10mm or so the cables and connectors would require could be an issue, and there isn't room to move the 24-pin inwards and create a sort-of-hole-thing because motherboards are jam packed anyway. - The same deal with 8-pins.

The ROG Formula boards have built in sound cards, as they are directed more towards the gamer/power user end of the spectrum, where as the Extreme is meant for setting world records, so extra bits that need power/space are removed to get as much other stuff on there as possible.

As for the Sabertooth, I've had one since August and can't speak highly enough about it...

Guest-44432 likes this.
  9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

PCI-E 3.0 working fine here on SB-E :)

[​IMG]

And a program to patch PCI-E 3.0 to work on SB-E.Clicky

The main cause of this PCI-E 3.0 unsupported malarkey is because lower end boards were not able to cope with the bandwidth of PCI-E 3.0. :)

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well if I can get the money together then I think I will be going Sandy Bridge E!!!!

If I cannot get it, then I will simply have to keep saving and wait till I have enough and then do a massive full system upgrade.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I see, so this is why many Motherboard manufactures have not followed suit, due to limiting themselves to the market.

I'm sure you can just buy a 90* adapter for the mean time? If not, someone needs to manufacture them. :)

Thanks for your reply Mankz. :thumb:

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Don't get me wrong, from a modders point of view, the right angled 8/24 pin would be a godsend, but you have to remember we are a niche in the over all scale of things.

And yes, some modder out there need to make a simple right angle male to female 8/24pin connector.. it'd sell like hotcakes. Honestly, surprised no one has yet!

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I've seen a custom one for a mod project in the BT forums. I think...:worried:

14. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

I still don't understand why the right angle 24 pin power cable would be a niche thing. All the cases I've ever fitted a mobo in require that fugly bend that always makes me think either a) I'm gonna cause a loose connection or b) I'm gonna snap the mobo in half because I have to put so much pressure at right angles to the board.

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yep, I see where your coming from.

Anyone want to start a business manufacturing these 90* 24 and 8pin adapters? :D

Got a link to the thread? :)

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

p0pe made one for his Caselabs thingy on a 3D printer.

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

What i would like to see is a motherboard that DOESN'T have a PS2 port for Keyboards/Mice, i mean, who has those these days?

The one thing that's been annoying me of late, as i'm considering building a small gaming rig, is all the rubbish boards come with, or some strange spec's such as 2*SATA 3 and 4/5*SATA 2. I've got a £40 AM3+ board that only has SATA 3, yet the £100+ Z77 boards don't.

Sam

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Blame Intel.. they only put a pair of 6Gbps ports in Z77, and adding the subsequent chips like an ASMedia one etc. is costly.

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Wait for next gen! :)

It took years for them to ditch IDE. So it will be a few more before they dump SATA 2 :)

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd rather we just got rid of molex already and everything was SATA powered... but we can dream :lol: