Education Any of you lot got green fingers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 27 Mar 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

My good lady got this plant (er/pot) for mothers day and it did not come with the usual card telling A) what plants are contained and B) how to care, best position, how often watered ETC.

So can anyone tell me anything about these plants from my images which I have deliberately left as big as possible?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Mar 2017
  2. asura

asura jack of all trades

Looks like roses, begonias. lilys, and two somethings white - one of which might be another variety of begonia(?) and the other a second variety of lily(?)... which is a bit of an odd combination...

They all like lots of light, but begonias like lots more water than roses and lilys. And they're all more outdoor than indoor plants really, for example the lily probably won't flower next year if it stays indoors. Either in - or in the light from - a south facing window would be the best indoor positioning though outdoors and south facing would be better and enough but not too much water - hard to quantify.

Over winter in a frost free shed - they need to get cold (but roots not frozen) to keep their annual growth cycle going.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2017
  3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Nothing to do with the flower care, but you have cats right? Make sure they don't get the (Peace) Lilly pollen on their fur and then lick it. It's really toxic to cats & dogs and unfortunately, they don't show symptoms until it's too late.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks, as we do not have a garden they will be kept in doors so their lives will be short as plants don't do well with us.

Fortunately Millie is not one to clamber about and these are on a window sill behind a sink so she should be safe. But they may just go in the bucket, as we say up here in Scotland..

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yep, those are flowers all right.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm already going, no need to call security...