1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus VG236H Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Damn finger print plastic!!! Why can't it just go out of fashion already!? It looks fugly and super cheap in every possible device it's being used. Just combine the damn finish with bright blue leds and you're in for a cheesyness factor of over 9000. Yes, I used that, it's so bad. </rant>

Thanks for the review. Would love to know how many actual users have bought the 3D-kit and are using it on daily basis.

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Nice that the power switch isn't stupidly orange anymore. I have a VW266H and a VH222H, and the 22" has this stupid bright orange colored power switch. Not an orange LED - an orange switch.

Otherwise, orange standby and blue power isn't a terrible combination. I don't like the blue, but so much crap now comes with blue that at least it matches. Not worth taking all the crap apart just to replace LEDs.

I hate glossy on laptops that you often touch, but it's not terrible on monitors. Just wipe the bezel when you wipe the screen to keep the dust off, and try not to touch it too much. Only annoying aspect IMO is the way that the top edge is slanted. It collects a lot of dust and really shows, moreso than a flat top edge that collects an equal amount of dust but you can't see it when you're sitting in front of it.

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'll stick with my Yuraku thank you very much.

5. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Everyone knows Nvidia 3D is silly. What I would be interested to know is how these monitor types perform with a GTX480 or a HD5970 at 120Hz in FPS games.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yea my personal problems also include the retarded touch switches that come embedded to the gloss black bezel of my secondary screen. Who thought that was a good idea.. :wallbash:

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Some designer whom was briefed to make it more modern and like apple most likely, problem is they are completely impractical impossible to find and you never know whether you have pressed it or not

8. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Yay for another crappy 16:9 TN panel, seriously TFT tech seems to be going backwards, we lose pixels and get crappy panel tech.

9. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

As a user of 3d vision I highly recommend it as a really excellent gizmo - games look fantastic and its a generational leap in realism far far beyond any other graphic improvement over the last 5 years (play HL2 and in 3d it looks better than anything in 2d - with modern games that are coded for it it is even better)

having said that it is a short burst of fun - switched on for 10 mins every so often as it is easier to play in 2d.

These days many of us have multi-monitor set ups simply because we gather monitors - I seem to have 3 24" monitors and a couple of others sit unused on a shelf awaiting some purpose.... as such having a 3d monitor as one of them is a bonus - sure the ips screen is nicer - but it doesn't do 3d in games or 120htz so sometimes I'll use it and sometimes I'll swap to the 3d - the other monitor is happily jointly hooked to the TV so can be swapped at will.

in summary - if you only have 1 monitor go IPS, if you have 2 IPS and 3d if you have 3 ips, 3d, cheap monitor of same size

job done.

10. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

At £370, I could get 3x 22-inch LCD monitors (with LED backlight), and get a more immersive gaming experience with surround vision than with 3D. No glasses or eye strain required either.

11. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I think the point is that lots of people already have a few decent monitors - this is a fun addition

Surround though nice to have isn't that much of a wow factor when showing off to your mates as either they are not geeks (and now think you are and shun you) or already have 5 monitors hooked up (along with plasma ...) so regard you with distain because you arent day trading at the same time.

3d is cool and 3d vision works well with films also... sure you probably want a nice screen first but having one 3d monitor is worth it.

just my 2 pence

12. tigertop1

tigertop1 What's a Dremel?

I have two 3D monitors,t he first being a Samsung 2233RZ and the second is the Asus GD 245HQ.

The Asus is a second generation screen and way ahead of the Samsung as it is HDCP compliant at 120HZ on Blu-Ray and the Samsung will only play play Blu-Ray at 60HZ. Apart from the listed problems in the review is the VG236A HDCP capable at 120 HZ?
    If not it is probably doomed when one considers its other problems.

I have experienced 3D now for 6 months on gaming and DVD. Don't knock it until you have tried it. It can be really impressive but software glitches can be a problem and Nvidia needs to refine things further as does Cyberlink in particular.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Yay, another review of a too expensive monitor. :grr:

14. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I have an LG W2363D - a very similar 120hz 23 inch (matte!) screen. If you are a fast paced fps gamer and don't already use a CRT a no lag 120hz screen is a must. It is simply easier to shoot stuff in ut2004 with the 120hz screen.

Monitor snobs will always complain about the lack of this, or that or the other, but tbh I have no problems once I'd got it set-up. Bottom line it helps you win - this trumps everything anything else if you are an even slightly competitive gamer :)

3D does work, it adds something that you can't get any other way, that you'd really like there all the time but in reality you'll only use it for games where:
    a) nvidia has got it working perfectly (there are several, but most of the non perfect ones have irritating flaws).
    b) your graphics card is fast enough to deliver the fps (i.e. basically twice what was required for 2D).
    c) it's not competitive (so were talking fun single player games like batman: aa, or metro 2033). If it was competitive you always end up playing in 2D because double the fps and effectively double the monitor refresh means hitscan is easier.

For photo's it often works really well - the nvidia classic car show slide show looks amazing, particularly the close up of the car engines, although with current cameras at least you can get a bit of a parallax scrolling effect where people almost look like cardboard cut-outs. Not tried any good video's yet (i.e. 3d bluray).

15. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Seems expensive for a TN screen. Are there no 120hz IPS monitors that can do 3D?

(Clive: By the way you need to go back and have a read through before posting as there's an error in just about every other paragraph such as "its funky angles stand out when compared the typical drabness of other screen housings", "We're always happy to screens with height adjustment", "As well and this single dual-link DVI". Would only take a few more minutes and be nicer for us to read.)

Last edited: 29 Sep 2010
  16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Am I missing something, I only count one error there?

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Thanks buddy, you just saved me time :D

Now get ready to get into a never ending debate with the non-believers.

18. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

yes :)

19. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Having just bought a Samsung LE32C530 LCD TV to use as my monitor, could anyone explain to me what "monitors" have or do to justify being three times the price, inch per inch?

20. zef

zef What's a Dremel?

There are monitors and there are monitors. This one is an 120hz monitor, hence the price.

But yeah, the review should focus less on 3D and more on the fact that it's 120hz. Which means no retarded 60fps limits in first person shooters and visible benefits in any fast paced game of appropriate framerate.

3D is a gimmick, 120hz is not. Technological advancements should be lauded, not ignored to focus on gimmicks.

thehippoz likes this.
Tags: Add Tags