1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Rebellion Revoking CD Keys

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MrDomRocks, 27 Jun 2014.

1. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

From KitGuru

Before I saw this I bought a key from a seller I ahve used in the past, having not had any issues I trust that seller. Even though some of the keys they sell are grey market. RU/PL keys etc.

I know a lot of CD Key sites sell various versions or language versions of many titles, some requiring VPN to activate.

I just saw this.

From CJS CD Keys Facebook.

I can understand that many publishers want to make the most monetary return from their titles, but selling the keys to sites such as GMG, CJS, CDkeys.com knowing that the keys will be sold heavily discounted compared to Steam is a given. It is why those sites are popular in the first place.

In doing this Rebellion have tainted themselves to be quite honest, yes there are many people who will pre order directly from Steam. There are also many people like me who are looking for bargains, don't want to pay full price for a game because they need to make what little money they have stretch.

Hopefully this is a mistake or a simple error of judgement. Wonder why piracy continues on newly released titles. I can download several releases of almost every game released the same day that they go live.

Convo with @Rebellion on twitter

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Jun 2014
  2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I can sort of see why people are upset, but if the keys were stolen and then sold on to other sites, then how is that Rebellions fault.

Sounds more like certain CDKey sites who are selling cheap, bought a bunch of keys that turned out to be stolen and now they've been revoked.

Regards your last comment on the twitter feed, if the keys have been stolen and then sold on, it would be very easy for a small amount of keys to cause a large number of disgruntled people.
    Would be interested to see the keys that are being declined and whether there are a lot of duplicate keys.

The motto "If it's too good to be true it probably is", seems quite applicable here to me.

Not that much solid information though really, so bit early to start pointing a finger at anyone yet.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Until I see irrefutable evidence that this was premeditated by Rebellion, they will remain innocent in my eyes.

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Buy cheap, buy twice...
    I've never bought a game or any software from anywhere other than official/affiliated outlets. Physical game stores, steam GMG, origin, etc I've always been wary of key-sites.
    The last time I bought a PC game used was L4D2 donkey's ago, bought from the bay, didn't work, got refund, tried not to buy from unknown sources again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You mean, buy cheap, get your money back, no isssue? As per your own example?

I've saved a huge amount buying keys through loads of different places and they've always been great. If these places were always having the above issues, they wouldn't exist.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've seen this around t'interwebs.

I'm glad to see that people on here seem to be thinking like me. A brand new game being sold at half price? Too good to be true. Until otherwise proven wrong, Rebellion are totally justified.

Besides, I like to think that if you're willing to buy a game brand new, you are actively trying to support the developer.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I can say this, as of last night at 9pm after posting this. I had my key from CJS come through at the time they where out of stock.

I activated the key and played the game for about 30minutes.

I will be popping online this morning soon as I get home from work.

Hopefully my key will still be working.

This could very well be just a batch of keys sold on and ended up being reported and then removed.

According to Rebellion this happened because the distributor told Valve that a specific batch was stolen. This batch must have been split up over several sites and then marked as stolen after activation. This is clearly Rebellion covering themselves.

I have used several sites, GMG, CDkeys.com G2A and CJS. Some of the keys foresale are grey market. RU or PL keys that need VPN to activate and thus can be region locked or require language files added to get the game in English.

Typically I buy EU keys as it is the easier way to get a game to work.

CJS posted this http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/blog/

Here's hoping its just a mistake. To be honest most distributors know that these sites sell the keys cheaper than Valve do always have done to one degree or another.

The Mothership

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I still had to buy it twice though... and it caused me grief having to contact the seller and then the seller had the hassle of refunding me.

Yes you may get your money back, or another key, but it is still grief that all parties could do without.