1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News T9 creator unveils gesture-based input

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

T9 is great for me.... i can remember bashing away at the buttons on my old nokia 3310, when you actual had to type every letter. lol! those were the days :)

3. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Cant stand the T9 system, its the first thing I turn off when I get a new phone. Im faster just typing the word in anyways

4. Notional

Notional What's a Dremel?

Really? My 3310 had T9 dictionary. The older 3210 also had ( I think that was the first one to have T9 actually). My old Ericsson didn't though.

But maybe this will make onscreen texting easier, which would be pretty cool.

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

T9 sucks, it always manages to present me the totaly wrong words. If it would be a 'mind reader' plugin then that would have been amazing

6. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I'm a fan of T9, but not on my LG KF600 - horrible, horrible phone.

7. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

i like the T9 system, is very easy for me, and you just hit the * key a couple of times to get to the word you want. granted, some phones do this poorly, eg. my old phone if you changed the combination halfway through typing a word it had no effect, my n91 smartly keeps the combination i've selected and continues matching from there. also, being able to add words to the dictionary is great too.
    Swype looks interesting and clever, its a good idea imo, though final judgement will wait till i have a chance to play with it

8. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I really don't understand how people don't get on with T9, I think they are just resistant to change and stuck in their ways.

It took me about a day to get used to it about 7 years ago using my ancient nokia 3310 and I've never looked back

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I have my very own "Doug-speak" for sending text messages, T9 couldn't work it out, I doubt Swyck will...

10. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

11. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Sounds good. I'd be interested to see this working.

And unlike T9, it should be easy to switch between Swype and tapping out a word on the fly. There would be no need to press a button to cycle ABC/Abc/abc/123/T9 like on some phones. Instead, you just swype away and, when you need to type e.g. an URL, just tap it out.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

13. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

T9 sucks. I don't want my phone to tell me what I need to say, I tell my phone what I want to say! It never gets the right words and I always ended up frustrated with the thing. I always turn it off as soon as I get a new phone. What I don't get is people can like it. It's waaaaay too inconvenient.

14. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

If it actually could predict what i wanted to say? fine i'll have it, t9 is usually way off for me so I don't bother with it.

15. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The T9 on my C902 is awesome, it predicts words pretty much spot on. It guessed them based on how Ive typed them before and on what the word preceding that im typing is.

Gesture based seems interesting.

16. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I've never understood people who are against T9 - I find most of the time it's perfectly fine. But then, I choose to speak ENGLISH in my text messages, and not the cursed TXTSPK that is turning a generation into illiterate cretins

17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

T9's pretty good, but there have been some failures to it that you don't always notice; last week I invited people round to play roles :eek:

(poker)

That and you have to spend the first month of a new phone programming in profanities.

18. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

T9 works a charm.
    But then again.
    If you can't spell T9 is a curse.
    I'll want this for my Diamond if it becomes available. Touch wins. Unless you are trying to text while driving. No tactile feedback.

19. Donny

Donny What's a Dremel?

Well, at the moment there are no downloads, while there is a keyboard called SlideIT working on the same idea and free demos can be downloaded at:

http://dasur.co.il/Download.php

I just tried it! Truly innovative text input method!

Tags: Add Tags