1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by wst, 23 Sep 2010.

1. wst

wst Minimodder

(Just using the linux tag because it's rare in this forum ;) Mincecraft is fully multi-platform)

I have been watching videos of this, I haven't even played it, and I am going to spend money on it ASAP (I don't have/want paypal, a friend's going to buy it for me, using their paypal and I'll pay them)

Anyone else got it/going to get it? Seen something interesting about it online? Discuss it here :D

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Been playing it for a while, it's fun game but definitely not for everyone. If you're a creative type you'll love it, as there's near endless possibilities. Really looking forward to the survival multiplayer being released as well.

It seems like there's been a massive explosion in demand lately which has hit the servers hard, the result of which being that I now have no sound in the game, so I'm waiting for Notch to fix that. I think they've already upgraded the servers once recently as well.

3. wst

wst Minimodder

Yeah, it went down over last weekend for 5 days. I think another copy sells every 3 seconds, or something like that.

I want to try doing survival without building anything on top of the ground. I want to dig away and never worry about making a roof or walls :D

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

There seem to be a lot of people on Reddit addicted to it.
    I haven't tried it, I was never very good at the 'combine your items' guessing games (e.g., Doodle God, or Stranded), nor creativity games, nor timesinks. Oh well.

Oh, and apparently the one-man developer team is pulling in $250,000 a day.

5. October

October Mariachi Style

Wow...$300,000 in one day and he wants to double the price...

And I thought Activision were greedy :blah:

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

To be fair, it's pretty cheap as it is at the moment, considering the amount of content there is and the amount of play time you will get out of it. Plus it's nothing like an Activision game, he's doing the whole thing by himself (at the moment) and still managing to release updates with new features every single week, which is more than can be said for most developers with a whole studio behind them.

Don't forget that just a month or so ago he wasn't making anywhere near that amount, and to lower the price just because it's become popular is a flawed philosophy. If an indie game gains near-mainstream popularity and sells by the bucketload, that's usually an indication it's a pretty good game and good value for money, so why would you lower it if your customers are telling you that they like it? Not to mention the fact that it would piss off the people who paid the full price and increased the game's popularity by word of mouth etc.

Besides, it's not like he's spending all the money on beer and lottery tickets, he's founding his own development studio and hiring more staff to work on the game.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It's in my sig as currently playing so... yeah, I like it :D

I play almost exclusively Alpha mode on singleplayer, often times on peaceful settings. I just love to explore and dig and build. The need to find my own materials means I don't get bored of just infinitely building, but the lack of enemies means I never find myself being forced to do something other than what I want to due because of monsters in the way.

That said, I've been slowly turning my main world into a monster-proof fortress, which also has no annoying animals in it. The above ground area features stone walls two blocks high (I built it before fences were implemented) so nothing can jump in, steel doors to allow only me access, stone floors to keep animals from spawning inside, and torches everywhere so no enemies spawn inside. All main areas are also designed to be fireproof, just in case. There's a large underground tunnel system connecting the main above ground encampments, and also some above ground roads (also walled in). My goal lately has been to slowly get away from the surface world. Trees will grow underground with the correct placement of torches and I'm currently experimenting with papyrus and wheat. Should that fail, digging a hole straight up and placing walls around it at the surface will provide sunlight over crops.

Future plans include:
    -Minecart circuits to reduce travel times. Powered minecarts will wait at spawn to bring me back to the operational areas.
    -Compartmentalization of tunnels. Redstone circuit to open one door in front and close the other behind me so possible contamination may be contained.
    -Replacement of stairs with ladders. Saves space and makes surface-subterrainean interaction easier to gauge.
    -Automation/Industrialization of my obsidian mining process. Currently having trouble aquiring decent source lava.

Now I wanna get some recording software and have a "Show us your Minecraft world!" thread.

8. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I've got this and it is awesome.
    I am part of that 'reddit lot' haha.

Its an awesome game and a horrible timesink, time just dissapears, you dont have to guess the crafting things, im useless at that, its what the minepedia is for. :)

I have a good time playing with minecarts, namely some videos here;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAtZoWl4QfI

You actually are paying for the alpha version, which gets you access to updates and all future versions, he is a single man but he updates EVERY friday (or at least tries to, has only missed this when server faults and currently business meetings). He has loads of ideas to be added to the game, so its gonna get a lot bigger... I have definitely got my monies worth!

Kudos to him for making the money, he had a free weekend just gone as the servers could not cope, so while he was fixing the problem, he just made it available to everyone, hence the recent surge of sales.

edit;/ just need to reiterate i dont think he is being greedy as these were his plans all along, i think it just goes to show a low price, or free weekend plays go a long way to selling games, he has stated that he will update the game for as long as people are buying it. Then after? RELEASE the code OPEN SOURCE. Tell me another game that will do that...

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Been playing for quite a while too. Ace game :)

10. wst

wst Minimodder

I heard of it from Reddit as well, and even just playing Classic in-browser on the site has got me thinking of better things to build. I like digging tunnels under large bodies of water but I still have to improve a bit at not hitting the water... heh.

11. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Oh no, someone's making money. Call the morality police!

Notch puts in a lot of work, and people want to buy what he's selling. Weekly updates, constantly evolving, one payment puts you in the loop forever.

I don't see how you could conceivably have a problem with this.

Adventure mode will be released soon, with more traditional game modes. Even without that there are plenty of posibilities for your 'spergin' pleasure. Either Multiplayer or Singleplayer, creative or survival.

For those of you that don't want to endlessly follow twitter or randomly combine things there's a wiki with crafting recipes and suchlike on it: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/

It's quite a popular game with goons ATM, lots of phallic objects and terrible jokes on their servers. Along with the occasional TNT griefpocalypse. I've had my money's worth and then some

12. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

kinda makes me want to set up a bit-tech only server....would there be enough interest?

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Do iiit :D

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Oh I'm sure there will be :)

15. wst

wst Minimodder

Sign me up!

16. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

What are you supposed to do?

17. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

18. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I didn't do the pay one, I just did the free one. Seems like all I could do was run around building blocks or destroying blocks. Are there suppposed to be things chasing you?

19. wst

wst Minimodder

Yeah, in the paid-for one. The free one is good to practice making stuff but it's quite dull. I'm going to get the paid one ASAP, the videos I've seen of it are awesome.

20. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Ahh. It sure was dull, but with stuff to do it looks like it could be interesting.