1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Crysis 3 CANCELLED WiiU

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Harlequin, 3 Mar 2013.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://www.destructoid.com/wii-u-version-of-crysis-3-canceled-due-to-lack-of-support-247565.phtml

GO GO EA!

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

... Something makes me doubt that the WiiU would've done Crysis 3 any justice anyhow.

It's rather a shame from a funding standpoint, since all the development time has just gone up in smoke, but I'm sure EA's wallet will recover from the damage. I just feel sorry for all the programmers and developers whos' work porting will never see the light of day, even if it would've looked terrible on such a restricted console.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Not really. Crysis 3 is only a "techdemo" for the Cryengine they are trying to sell. Kinda like the Unreal games versus the Unreal Engine. Most time invested in Crysis 3 for WiiU won't be lost - they debugged and optimized the Cryengine for future customers of the engine using Crysis 3. The fact that the game won't be released is just a minor problem for them.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Do not expect any EA published games on the WiiU.

The story goes that Nintendo was looking into making a good online system, but also, to please third party support to encourage games on their system, they asked every publisher what they wanted. EA came with ludicrous demands, that the WiiU should use EA Origin system, where it will be fully managed and therefor full profit goes to EA. Nintendo, and anyone with a right mind, refused, and now EA is bitching and moaning and canceling all WiiU release, and push developers to say how sucky the WiiU specs is.

Which is 100% stupid, because for many games, EA already spend millions to port it, and now they cancel it. So I don't get EA logic behind anything. But it seam they have too much money, and really don't want peoples money.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Without EA it could be a major sales problem for Nintendo, lack of updated ea sports games would be a major no to those that buy them.

EA made there demands when they thought Nintendo could not say no to them with sales suffering and no new games till April wii u needs a major release of something.

3DS suffers similar issues with ea games they are just reports of the older game in the football series was all over amazon.

Seems like EA and Nintendo will go there separate ways.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Ea also admitted recently that the iPad now is 42% of there total rev with consoles at 40% and pcs at 18.

So you do wonder if EA are just following the money

7. GoodBytes

Sport game fan are on the XBox.

The problem with the WiiU now, is that Nintendo didn't plan properly the release of the system. You see, the problem that Nintendo has, is that every time they release a first party game, is completely over shadows other games by third party for over a month, including in the news.
    It's insane. Their games are just too good. So What they have tried to done, and this is from an interview by the way, is to delay all first party games (except the not so crazy 2D Mario platformer game, just to get sales started), to allow third party games to succeed.

The problem, is that it created a chicken and egg scenario, where third party decided to delay their games until sales picks up, but Nintendo is making free room for them. And now, what made things worse is that January, February and until late March, the WiiU has a no games. Because Nintendo expected to have third party games, third party publisher are keeping there big games for when the console is out, and the expected games to be released now, are delayed until end March, April.

So on wonder the WiiU is selling bad, there is no new games beside the excellent (for a launch) games. Nintendo needs to play it's cards very carefully now. Because the console needs to sale now, so announcing big games will push sales, but then they won't have anything for EA, and the new XBox and PS4 will overshadow the WiiU until the end of the year. I think right now, Nintendo is waiting for Microsoft April announcement, let the void of games for the WiiU pass. And see how the market react with the exiting games coming in March and April, to see how the WiiU does, and then release the big weapons, so massive advertisement, sales increase, and release the big guns at E3 to counter PS4 and XBox so that at least they get proper amount of sales.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Sad, but I somehow don't see them selling enough copies on the Wii U to make up the costs.

The Wii U has lower than expected sales, and I imagine many of the buyers are Ninty fanboys so not interested in non-Nintendo games. Also, really? Buying Crysis 3 for Wii U? Everyone who wanted to buy it probably has it on Ps3/Xbox or PC

Like releasing CoD on Wii U, doubt it would have many buyers.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The WiiU won't flop that badly. Give it some time once games start getting pumped out for it. That or it might go the way of the Dreamcast.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Crytek's and EA's wallets are two different things. My gut on this is that crytek are the ones that lost out financially and as someone has said their developers are no doubt a bit disheartened at having a nearly ready to release port just disappear. If EA have not done any publishing for the Wii port then they haven't lost a thing.

11. GoodBytes

I agree. And also, Crytek doesn't get to show-off their engine on the WiiU. Even if no one buys Crysis 3. It would have been still a win for Crytek, because other developers will see how flexible, powerful, their engine is, and how look good it looks on the WiiU.

Now developers, will look at Crytek and be like "We want to do something on the WiiU, we don't know about this engine.. it says it is compatible, but probably be crap. Let's look at another solution."